PDA

View Full Version : NL tourney- 2 big blind plays I'm questioning

Easy E
03-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Not sure if I played these correctly, would appreciate some input:

1) AK in the BB early in the tournament. I have T8000, about what I started with (I don't think I'd played a hand yet, can't remember). All of my table is just around the starting point as well.
Blinds 50/100, 2 limpers get raised by the button, making it T750 to go. I just called, as did one limper.
a) First mistake? Or is that a better choice, early on with limpers, waiting for the flop?

Flop is all Jessie Jackson babies- I check
b) Do I bet here? What is the minimum stack percentage I have to put in here to clear the field? I'm assuming that I'm not hoping for a call if I open.
Button bets another T750. I folded, as did the remaining limper.
c) Do I raise here, having checked the flop? Would you raise anything less than all-in? Was I wimpy with the fold- would anyone just call (to see what the limper would do) though I don't see that as a good play?

#1 BONUS- if it were later in the tournament, should I have been more aggressive than early?
2 scenarios:
a) Close to the money
b) Moving up the pay list and the stack size list

2) Final four, AQoff in BB. Button (tight player, even short-handed) raises about 10% of their stack (I'm slightly ahead of him, in second place). I call
d) Is this a "RR or F" situation?
e) If RR, any reason not to go all-in?

Flop comes three babies again, two-tone. I have none of it. Checked to the turn.
e) Am I required to make a bet here? Would it have to be all-in?

King comes on the turn, I reraise the button, going all-in. Button easily calls with a King and I'm out.
f) Should I have given up with the King coming? Or did I blow any chance of stealing with the flop check?

#2 BONUS- What if it was a different situation (say, X spots out of getting into the money)? What should I have done differently (mucked the flop?)

Thanks
Easy E

ohkanada
03-24-2003, 04:59 PM
1a) I can see folding, calling and raising all as viable options /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I personally hate AK in the blinds. I normally would re-raise but if I have no clue of the opponents folding or just calling can't be that bad.

1b) I wouldn't bet. You have Ace high. You will almost surely only get called by better hands or another AK. If you did choose to bet the pot is 2300 or so, so I would make it around 1600.

1c) Fold seems reasonable. Sure you can be aggressive and re-raise all-in. It may well take the pot but without knowing anything about the player I would just take the loss.

As far as the bonus questions the issue is not how later it is in the tournament but how big your stack is compared to the blinds. Of course later on you would have a better idea how the raiser plays which helps decisions.

2d & 2e) The missing information is how big is the raise compared to the blinds? Are the blinds 50-100 and he made it 300 or 600? You say he is tight. Does that imply to you only pairs or big aces? How big aces? You say final four. Does that imply money for all?

2e) The decision to bet the flop into the raiser is based on if you read him for not liking the flop. You could bet the 2/3 of the pot which should be 15-20% of your stack if sense weakness.

2f) Same issue as previous point. I don't think you needed to go all-in if you wanted the pot. Bet the pot and if he calls or re-raises you are done with it.

Your second bonus question doesn't make sense because there was no betting on the flop so there is nothing to muck. Maybe muck pre-flop.

Ken Poklitar

Easy E
03-24-2003, 06:25 PM