PDA

View Full Version : Proper Aggression? Need advice

xJMPx
08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
This is my first time posting, looking for advice to improve my game. I’m a new comer to poker, I’ve played approximately 70 SNGs at the $5+1 level. I was doing quite well, but I’ve been in a funk lately and have been following the Two Plus Two forum’s more closely as of late.

I seem to do pretty well playing the short stacks, however I think a major leak in my game is when I have a good/great stack. I think I’ve been too aggressive trying to knock players out. I just know how much a hate watching passive big stacks let short stacks stick around cheaply when I’m sitting in the middle range in chips.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

SB Lorbs7 ( $1345 )
BB jele0920 ( $385 )
UTG ChrisKub ( $1894 )
UTG+1 POKERCHARMER ( $1393 )
MP toledo96 ( $490 )
CO tyDOMIinWBL ( $914 )
BUTTON DevinLake ( $1579 )

Preflop: Hero is Button with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif , T /images/graemlins/heart.gif .
UTG calls t50, 3 folds, Hero raises t200, 1 fold, BB raises all-in (t385), 1 fold, Hero calls t185.

UTG has been limping every hand, so I’m reasonably confident he’ll fold to a raise. However, I knew the BB would either fold or push, and I would be playing this hand for 385 when my steal doesn’t succeed. I thought long and hard about folding, then decided to raise thinking this wasn’t a terrible hand to play against a desperate BB if he did in fact raise all-in.

So, I’m looking for comments on this exact play and maybe what’s the minimum hand you would make this type of play with in this situation.

octaveshift
08-10-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I’m looking for comments

[/ QUOTE ]

"Stop playing the 5s. The rake is 20%. The play at the 10s is identical and the rake is only 10%."

willperkins
08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't like your raise here. You stated you thought the BB would fold or push. I would be afraid he would push and UTG would be getting 3.5 to 1 odds to call. Now your in a pot three handed with KTo.

You have more than 30 times the BB. I would wait for a better spot.

For me to make this play, I would want the usual raising hands such as a big pair or AK. I might go as low as 99 or 88 depending on my read of the blinds and UTG.

I would raise more than 3 X BB if I had AK, JJ, TT or 99 or 88.

IMHO

jgunnip
08-11-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I’m looking for comments

[/ QUOTE ]

"Stop playing the 5s. The rake is 20%. The play at the 10s is identical and the rake is only 10%."

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to the forums.