PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Guys Stick to Your Plan?

08-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm an 18-year old student playing small stakes games...Over 10,000-15,000 hands (combined), I've been a winner at .5/1 up to 2/4 at Party Poker, with about 5,000 hands at each level. Unfortunately, while PokerTracker says that I have a positive win rate, I am still very deep in the red when it comes to total winnings.

Every time I have a good couple thousand hands, I can't resist the urge to play well above my bankroll and skill level, going to the 3/6 and 5/10 tables--and my bankroll isn't even really sufficient for 2/4 (though it's so beatable that it hasn't been an issue over 3,000 hands). The end result are big losses at higher levels and a deflated ego.

I know that poker isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, but I can never resist playing for more--I dream of winning thousands a month and playing in the 300/600 games in a few years...unfortunately, I tilt and tell myself that a solid winrate at 2/4 can't afford me that (though I know it can, if I were to actually go a disciplined month).

Anyways, enough ranting...how do you guys stay disciplined and not take shots at levels at which you can't afford to play (bankroll-wise and/or skill-wise)?

vexvelour
08-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Why throw away money on tables you know you're not ready for over and over again? It just makes sense to put your money where it will be most profitable.....aka lower limits. Just stick to it man. It's not hard.

4_2_it
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM
You are 18 and are experiencing the compulsions of youth. Recognize them for what they are and try to resist doing something that you know is not smart in the long run. (From personal experience I recognize this is much easier said then done /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

For instance, I crushed the Pokers $25 and $50 NL tables. I now play the $100 NL tables and do well enough, but I recognize that I need to be crushing this level before I move up to the $200+ tables. While my approach is probably more conservative than most, I never worry about variance taking away my entire bankroll.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck to you in the future.

fanmail
08-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I have been on hot streaks and tried to play above my normal level and occasionally won, but several times got stacked. Getting stacked at a level your bankroll can't handle a few times is the best lesson you can learn. Trust me, I did it and now I stick to my level.

imported_bingobazza
08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been on hot streaks and tried to play above my normal level and occasionally won, but several times got stacked. Getting stacked at a level your bankroll can't handle a few times is the best lesson you can learn. Trust me, I did it and now I stick to my level.

[/ QUOTE ]