PDA

View Full Version : has any one read this (hold em) book

08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
the book is written be Dave Scharf and is badly mistitled "WINNING AT POKER"
This book is very poor it is extremly basic and contains little or no essence whatsoever. 500k HE hands ago i bought this book. id never played HE in my life. about 10 hours of reading this book i felt i might of missed something becouse i felt that i had MASTERED the book, every time i picked it up and read bits,nothing i felt that the problem lied with me and that at somepoint id start to understand things better. This was not the case i then got ed miller SSHE and hilgers book, i found millers book hard to absorb at 1st and read bits slowly and played on-line every night sometimes for 24 hours non stop, i NEVER took a crap without taking that book with me and sometimes id be in that craphouse for like 2 hours lol id guess that iv spent about 400 hours reading that book and hillgers and i still learn something everytime i read them i rate these books highly and it turned out that i was right about scharff because i did master that book in less then 10 hours it teaches u to play like a dumb rock (which is very easy) but this style would struggle to win $ at the 0.5/1 pp games.
also... this book is on all the shelves iv noticed and has a forword by Lou Krieger.. tut tut...
any views here?

Rob-L
08-10-2005, 06:15 PM
http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album11/ach.jpg

kitaristi0
08-10-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album11/ach.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif POTY period /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
yep i know my gramma is [censored]. no big deal this is a poker site dont slag me gramma....plzzzzz

npc
08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the book is written be Dave Scharf and is badly mistitled "WINNING AT POKER"
This book is very poor

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I think it's a reasonable introduction to Hold'em and Stud.

[ QUOTE ]
it is extremly basic

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your assessment up to this point. Beyond this, I don't think I agree with the parts of your post that I understood. To each their own.

08-10-2005, 09:46 PM
David Scharf is quite respected in the Canadian Poker scene (he's taking a very active role in starting up a Canadian Poker Tour and has help launched a Poker magazine in Canada).

Dave's book is an introduction and is not meant to replace or compete with some of the other books you mentioned.

In that regard, I think Dave did a reasonably good job at introducing stud and hold'em to absolute newbies.

So leave Dave alone and let him do his thing...

FYI, your credibility as a book critic is in question when your own posts aren't even understandable..maybe you should take some time to edit your posts a bit before submitting.

08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
agreed that it is a good intro book, but why isnt it titled "introduction to poker" so my point is that the book is mistitled(big time) i feel that this author could of done much better.
i feel this book does not deserve its place on the shelves, and i know for a fact that i could write a much better book, and i would describe myself as only a good player.
i dont care how good of a player dave is. the book is crap imo

Rob-L
08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
I agree that the title could have been more clear that it is a beginners book. But, as a beginners book I think it is OK. Not as good as WLLHE or now GSIH, but it does have some good features. It also teaches 7 stud and has a good method to put people on hands. I think this method is especially good for beginners as it gives them a place to start.

Also, it's $10 (at least in the US). I think it was written for a total beginner who just wants the basic understanding of the games.

It certainly wouldn't be the last book to read on poker, but it's not too bad either.

Jay845
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
David Scharf is quite respected in the Canadian Poker scene (he's taking a very active role in starting up a Canadian Poker Tour and has help launched a Poker magazine in Canada).

So leave Dave alone and let him do his thing...

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI Avatar, Dave is no longer associated with "Canadian Poker Player" Magazine. Seems they had a falling out of some sort.

I also believe he has stepped away from the canadian poker tour.

Having said all this, Dave is a great ambassador for the game in Canada. He offers a ton of insight into the game on various websites and I am happy to say he is from my hometown. Anytime I have met him he has been friendly and polite.

I agree with you Avatar, in that his book does what it's purpose is. Introduces poker to beginners in a way that is an easy read. I agree that his strategy recommendations will not maximize your winnings but you won't lose your shirt either.

A good intro book in my opinion

npc
08-11-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

FYI, your credibility as a book critic is in question when your own posts aren't even understandable..maybe you should take some time to edit your posts a bit before submitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hierarchically, your post appears to be in response to what I wrote, but I'm guessing you intend it to refer to the parent post. If I'm mistaken and your post is a direct response to what I wrote, I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate.

npc
08-11-2005, 01:15 AM
I may be antagonizing someone to no good purpose, but I'm baffled enough by what I've read to follow up. This is probably a mistake on my part.

Three quotes from the previous post:

[ QUOTE ]
agreed that it is a good intro book,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i feel this book does not deserve its place on the shelves,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the book is crap imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see any way to reconcile these three statements.

[ QUOTE ]
my point is that the book is mistitled(big time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguably, but IMHO not any more than most of the poker books on the market. Certainly, "The Complete Book of Hold'em Poker" and "The Greatest Book of Poker for Winners", just to name two, score much higher on my hyperbole meter.

[ QUOTE ]
and i know for a fact that i could write a much better book

[/ QUOTE ]

Writing a good book on anything is probably harder than it looks. Frankly, I'd like to see a little more evidence before I accept your claim. Two critical aspects of writing a good book are: (1) be able to articulate a consistent message, and (2) have command of one's native language. I'm still waiting for evidence of either.

08-11-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hierarchically, your post appears to be in response to what I wrote, but I'm guessing you intend it to refer to the parent post. If I'm mistaken and your post is a direct response to what I wrote, I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

NPC, my apologies..my quote was meant to be directed to Player.

NPC, I actually really enjoy your site and actually rely on a lot of your reviews when making my own decisions on which books to buy. Keep up the good work.. you definately have the most comprehenive poker review sit out there.

08-11-2005, 01:55 AM
thanks for the update..I didn't realize this.

In any case, I agree.. Dave is a stand up guy and I give him full marks for stepping up the poker scene in Canada.

I remember reading his updates last year on the WSOP...he was actually in the top 5 or so in chip lead at one point. His confrontation with Annie Duke was classic... he eventually got busted out to Dan Harrington...nothing to be ashamed of there..

08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
there is no point debating peoples grammer or there abality its about the book "WINNING POKER" I want to hear opinions on this book, so unless you have read it, and re-read it no point making a comment.

Easy E
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Shut up, you illiterate moron

08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
F U in the face, wiv a red hot poker

Rob-L
08-11-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yep i know my gramma is [censored]. no big deal this is a poker site dont slag me gramma....plzzzzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that excuse. "It's a poker site."

This forum requires written communication. How are you supposed to make your ideas and opinions clear to people if you can't put a readable paragraph together?

Easy E
08-11-2005, 04:12 PM
It will probably be the only clear passage in this stellar tome you'll be penning.

I can hardly wait!

Easy E
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
yep i know my gramma is [censored].

I've never seen anyone talk about their own gramma before. That poor sweet lady... I think you should punch yourself in the face with a red hot poker for dissin' your gramma that way.

08-11-2005, 06:11 PM
easy........u r a NERD