PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps frying hard drives.

johnnycakes
08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
I've lost two hard drives in the past month in the same computer.

Once, my power went out. When I turned the computer back on, it wouldn't recognize one of the drives. It's not just data corruption. It's dead.

A few days ago I had to turn the power off to my house (at the circuit breaker). I did shut the computer down first.
When I turned it back on, it couldn't boot. It appears to have physical damage, but I was able to hook it up in another computer and recover all my important files.

So,...what's going on?

Some kind of PSU issue?

Do you need more info? (I'm at work right now).

Thanks.

FouTight
08-10-2005, 03:42 PM
My first thought was PSU instability. Have you monitored the voltage on the 12v rails? I would do that. What kind of PSU is it? If it's a "came with the case" psu, I would get a new one anyways.

Mr Gee
08-11-2005, 05:46 AM
The electrics in your house may be a little unstable, so it might be worth first tryig out some sort of surge protector. They're not expensive and probably worth having anyways.

Failing that I'd try a new, good quality PSU.

BluffTHIS!
08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
You need a battery backup with surge suppression and line conditioning.

johnnycakes
08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need a battery backup with surge suppression and line conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I have another computer (DELL) plugged into the same outlet and it's never had a problem.

The computer with the problems is one I have put together.
I did put a new PSU in it a few months ago.

I forgot to check yesterday, but tonight I'll take a closer look and post more hardware specifics.

Also, what's "line conditioning"?

Thanks.

MyMindIsGoing
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
1. Does the computer have a VIA chipset?
2. Is the computer grounded?

"It appears to have physical damage"
I do not think that is true, either the controler is starting to fail or the physical damage came from somewhere else.

BluffTHIS!
08-11-2005, 07:32 PM
You still would be wise to have the setup I suggested even if it doesn't stop the problems that you are having. Line conditioning by a battery backup eliminates electrical fluctuations.

johnnycakes
08-12-2005, 09:31 AM
I looked at the PSU (without removing it from the computer), but couldn't find any details listed. It's an Antec and I'm pretty sure it's 400-Watts.

The computer has (had):
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
Maxtor 160GB HD
WD 200GB HD

It's an AMD Barton processor.

A 400-Watt PSU should be plenty for that, right?

[ QUOTE ]
You still would be wise to have the setup I suggested even if it doesn't stop the problems that you are having. Line conditioning by a battery backup eliminates electrical fluctuations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any brand/model suggestions?
I just got a new 61" TV and want to get a good surge protector/battery backup setup for that and a good setup for my computers.
Thanks.

BluffTHIS!
08-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Your power supply should be more than adequate for that configuration, although it is possible it is malfunctioning and thus the cause of your problems. I use a Belkin 550VA battery backup w/surge suppressor (around $80) that has 6 outlets total, 4 of which are backed up while the other two are not. It is advisable to plug printers into those that are not, leaving battery power for the computer and monitor and dsl modem, so that it can last longer and give you more time to shutdown if necessary. Regarding your TV and other devices, it is probably best to just get an electrician to install a whole house surge suppressor for all your appliances if you own your own home. If not then you can buy small individual outlet surge suppressors.