PDA

View Full Version : SLEEPER PICKS OR duds?

lastsamurai
08-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a feeling about Jeff Garcia @ detroit. By week for he should be starting for mariuchi.

Not sure about Kerry collins.... Does anybdoy have any takes on these two picks?

brettbrettr
08-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Collins should put up big numbers, though he is hardly a sleeper pick.

Garcia, if he plays, should also be solid.

Sluss
08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Collins is 5th on my quarterbacks list.

4 of Detroit's first 5 games are against very good defenses (Bears,Ravens,TB and Carolina). If Harrington makes it through those games without losing his job, he will be the starter for most of the year. I would bet he doesn't.

LargeCents
08-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Julius Jones for Dallas has HUGE upside.

lastsamurai
08-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Yeah he is one of my sleepers too...and Dallas is my money team this year...

Jack of Arcades
08-11-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah he is one of my sleepers too...and Dallas is my money team this year...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleeper? The guy won't last past the 2nd round in most leagues.

UncleRemus
08-11-2005, 04:33 AM
I've also got collins at 5th for QB's, just above Bulger. The thing is, he's coming off the board on average 6th among QB's, right about where he should be. Much more value in guys like Hasselbeck (9th), Brady (10th), and Brees (15th). I wouldn't call Brees a "sleeper", but you can wait until the very late rounds in most drafts and pick him up, and end up with very little (if any) dropoff from guys like Bulger and Collins.

Garcia may have value, but probably will only get drafted in the deepest of leagues. I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

Guys at other positions that I find are coming off the board too late on average (among position peers) include:
Tiki Barber (11th)
Rudi Johnson (16th)
Cedric Benson (27th) (Probably will go closer to where he belongs once he gets signed, though.. good low risk high reward right now nonetheless)

Reggie Wayne (10th)
Drew Bennett (17th)
Muhsin Muhammad (28th)
Rod Smith (33rd)
Keyshawn Johnson (46th)

Randy McMichael (9th)
Jermaine Wiggins (17th)

All this not looking too deep... Definitely have been able to get real good value on more than a few of these guys though.

Sluss
08-11-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tiki Barber (11th)
Rudi Johnson (16th)
Cedric Benson (27th) (Probably will go closer to where he belongs once he gets signed, though.. good low risk high reward right now nonetheless)

Reggie Wayne (10th)
Drew Bennett (17th)
Muhsin Muhammad (28th)
Rod Smith (33rd)
Keyshawn Johnson (46th)

Randy McMichael (9th)
Jermaine Wiggins (17th)

[/ QUOTE ]

Cedric Benson won't be the focal point for most of the year in Chicago. Jones has looked good in camp and will at least be starting week one. Unless Benson comes into camp a house on fire I would expect to see split carries if not more for Jones this year.

Rudi Johnson always seems to come off late. The guy puts up at least 90 yards a week and will score 15 16 TDs I never understand. I just think it has to do with him never throwing up that monster game.

I've been wondering what will happen with Drew Bennett. I had him last year for his great run of games, but he sat on the bench for most of the year, plus I had Chad Johnson and Harrison. He only really had those few stupid huge games. But, McNair likes to throw it up to him and the Titans don't have much else, plus they will be behind in most games. I even saw one Fantasy service that had him rated as the #3 wideout.

Be careful of Wiggins. With Kliensasser back he will get less looks and less snaps.

McMichael is always a great value pick. Nobody ever seems to want to draft that guy and he is one of the most consistent tight ends.

McGahee
08-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Barber and Rod Smith are always underrated.

Mushin Muhammed 2004/05 = Peerless Price 2002/03. Five words: "Contract Year. New Team, Bust"

brettbrettr
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Mushin Muhammed 2004/05 = Peerless Price 2002/03. Five words: "Contract Year. New Team, Bust"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. So very wrong. Price owes his big year to Moulds' constant double-coverage. He's just not that good. MM is good. I doubt he repeats the #'s he put up last year, but he basically carried that O.

brettbrettr
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
How can a largely unknown rookie back be low risk high reward?

Don't overvalue Keyshawn. He's a nice player but he's not a consistent fantasy threat. I like Wiggins too.

McGahee
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. So very wrong. Price owes his big year to Moulds' constant double-coverage. He's just not that good. MM is good. I doubt he repeats the #'s he put up last year, but he basically carried that O.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that what MM did last year was way more impressive than anything Price ever did, but it WAS his contract year and he DOES have Rex Grossman throwing him the ball.

brettbrettr
08-11-2005, 10:19 AM
What's wrong with Grossman? I think he's going to be good.

McGahee
08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Seriously? I'm no Mel Kiper, but I'm not going to be shocked if a Florida QB who plays for the Bears doesn't do well.

brettbrettr
08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Eh, I think he'll be fine.

"In his 6 career starts, the Bears offense has averaged 80 more total yards per game than in games started by other QBs during the last 2 years, highlighted by the offense averaging 130 more total yards in his 3 starts in 2004 than it did in the remaining contests... "

Russ McGinley
08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

The term "sleeper" is generally saved for guys who most average NFL viewers/FF players don't know about, not "RBs that will be drafted in the 2nd round or higher."

SossMan
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

The term "sleeper" is generally saved for guys who most average NFL viewers/FF players don't know about, not "RBs that will be drafted in the 2nd round or higher."

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy tomlinson out of san diego is gonna be huuuge this year....shhh, you didn't hear it from me

brettbrettr
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Toefield = sleeper.

(But I've been saying this for like 3 years)

Russ McGinley
08-11-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that guy tomlinson out of san diego is gonna be huuuge this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

LargeCents
08-11-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that guy tomlinson out of san diego is gonna be huuuge this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet I've still managed to add more content to this thread than the both of you combined.

Ace, can you post the board from your league's draft? Thanks.

Russ McGinley
08-12-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yet I've still managed to add more content to this thread than the both of you combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://trephination.net/gallery/macros/retard2.jpg

bugstud
08-12-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can a largely unknown rookie back be low risk high reward?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, in the case of Arrington, who the hell else gets any carries? The rest of the rooks will get carries leached, for certain.

lastsamurai
08-15-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your draft starts next week.

Sluss
08-15-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I hope your draft starts next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Salt + Wound = Rubbing it in

brettbrettr
08-15-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your draft starts next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my draft isn't for another three weeks for this very reason.