PDA

View Full Version : Question About Rules

PremiumHands
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I was playing in a hold'em tournament this weekend and my table asked the director at the beginning how we should play a mis-deal. He said if only one card is exposed to keep dealing and use that card as the burn.

After an hour or so we got a new player from another table who hadn't heard the director tell us the rule (who was clearly unhappy about having to switch tables). A few hands later the dealer exposed a card and the new player says we have to redeal. We tell him what the director said, but he only gets more annoyed. He finally looks at his cards and gets even more angry as he flips up Aces. Then, in a moment of clarity, he says "f#ck it, I'll play them."

Should he be allowed to play his cards once they are exposed to the table? Everyone else was playing by the rule set forth by the director, and no one else mucked or turned over their cards. I said that he should have to fold his hand, but that got him completely crazy, so I just backed off and folded when the action got to me.

08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
He has to play his cards.

The ruling is pretty standard - though I have also heard that it only applies if the card turned up is the 4th card dealt or later.

Its his own fault for turning up his cards.

PremiumHands
08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I initially thought that if a player turns their hand up preflop that it was dead, but in doing some research, I see that is not the case. He can be penalized, but his hand is not dead.