PDA

View Full Version : So much for Tiger vs Ernie

Clarkmeister
03-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Notice how everytime a smackdown is required, Tiger administers it in no uncertain terms?

TobDog
03-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Clarkmeister,

Is that because you wish you were Tiger?

He is so far ahead of everyone else, it's not even close. The better players are getting better, but they will probably never catch Tiger.

Jimbo
03-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Sort of like the good old USA, huh Clarkmeister? LOL

Clarkmeister
03-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, nothing like killing people to prove what a big man you are. Sounds kinda like Saddam, eh?

Jimbo
03-22-2003, 07:00 PM
We kill people to free them Clarkmeister, Saddam simply killed them to cause their misery. Do you see the difference? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

"Live Free or Die" Many of us take that phrase literally! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Simon Diamond
03-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Does Tiger still get the equivalent of the prize pool, as an incentive to enter tournaments? I heard about something like that once, not sure if it was a joke or serious.

Simon

TobDog
03-22-2003, 08:51 PM
I am pretty sure that apperance fees in the US are not allowed, however, overseas they are very common. That is how many of the smaller tourneys get the bigger names.

tobdog

HDPM
03-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Appearance fees are definitely banned on the PGA Tour. Sometimes very favorable outings can be arranged tho. Tournaments also compete on perks. Bay Hill is a big tournament in Tiger's home town that he always wins anyway, so no appearance fee necessary. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

One minor thing to note in Tiger's career is how well he does when collecting appearance fees. When playing the BFE Invitational for a huge appearance fee and a first prize of 57 cents or something, Tiger plays to win. He gives the tournament and the fans their money's worth. Not all players who have collected appearance fees can say the same.

TobDog
03-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Very true...

I remember long ago, well not that long ago guys like John Daly getting appearence $ and finishing last place on cut day, Tiger does play to win every time, which I think is very good for the game.

Simon Diamond
03-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Tiger Woods is definitely more exciting to watch than the other golfers. He goes for it all the time.

Simon

olemissgolf
03-23-2003, 10:11 AM
If "going for it all the time" is what you want, Phil should be your favorite!

Clarkmeister
03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
I mean, this is sick. As if yesterday wasn't enough, he's got to go out and double them up. Sheesh.

HDPM
03-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Just think how good he'd be if he didn't have to overcome all that lousy equipment. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Phold's comments looking dumber by the minute.

Clarkmeister
03-23-2003, 09:00 PM
I loved his comment about how he was decided against going to the hospital last night because he was worried that they wouldn't let him check out to finish the tournament.

Jordanesque with his "drop the hammer while violently ill" routine today.

Bill Murphy
03-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Kid had earled (pun not intended) three times in the first five holes and he still increased his lead by six shots.

Grand Slam's in the bag, barring the usual unforseen circumstances. Good to see Vijay & Ty Tryon show a little sack, but honestly, what a bunch of paycheck cashing clowns on Tour. This win showed his dominance even more so than Pebble Beach. Wait'll he drops a 57 on they asses...

Clarkmeister
03-24-2003, 02:18 PM
"Grand Slam's in the bag"

You can get 33-1 on that. Sounds juicy to me.

Personally I am going to lay 4/13 that he wins one major. The line is about 50% higher than it should be.

HDPM
03-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Yep, hard to bet against Tiger winning 1 of 4.

JTG51
03-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Wait'll he drops a 57 on they asses...

As silly as it sounds, I think Tiger may be too good to shoot a 57 or 59 in a competitive round. He just doesn't shoot at enough flags. Yesterday is a perfect example of what I mean. When he's playing from in front, which he usually is, he's more than happy to play to the middle of greens and eliminate bogeys.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if he went out and fired at every single flag for a couple of rounds. It sure would be fun to see him play a tournament where the winner is the guy who makes the most birdies.

Bill Murphy
03-24-2003, 10:51 PM
He hates Phoenix because of the crowds. The armed drunk crowds. Sony is a 2nd tier event. Wait'll he plays Kapalua next year, tho.

Excellent analysis. He'll get the 57 via 5 or 6 30 footers & a coupla eagle holeout chips. 14 of 14 fairways, 18 GIR's.

Bill Murphy
03-24-2003, 10:54 PM
He also hates Vegas & the Hope 'cause of the 5 round-pro am crap. He'd prolly shoot 40 under at the Hope for the week.

olemissgolf
03-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Bill Murphy-"What a bunch of paycheck cashing clowns on Tour".

What in the world are you smoking? The players on the PGA Tour are the most "professional" pros of all of sports. Clowns? Hardly. Most people complain that they don't "clown" enough. "Paycheck cashing"? Just because they can't beat Tiger doesn't mean they aren't trying to win. They pay their own expenses, and aren't guaranteed to get paid, unlike the many spoiled pros of team sports. By the way, 1st place does pay the biggest check, so I'm sure that's what those "clowns" are shooting for.
O.K. I've got that rant out of my system.

Simon Diamond
03-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Not to mention, that if these 'clowns' didn't turn up, Tiger would be playing on his own.

Some would argue that is what he is doing anyway!

Simon