PDA

View Full Version : Whiffing with AK OOP

Hoopster81
08-10-2005, 01:31 PM
A situation common to us all, I am sure.

You are UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG folds and you make it 5BB to go. You get one caller from MP. Assume you both have 100BB stacks.

Flop comes J/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I auto-bet this flop (75-100% PSB) no matter what type of opponent calls my raise. Recently, I have been wondering if this is a leak. Against tight players, I like this line, as they are often calling with a small PP, and will release after missing the flop (and any resistance is a sure sign that you are behind). However, looser (and donkish perhaps?) players often call or fire back the dreaded mini-raise. Against such players, will you check it to them if you whiff? Seems mighty weak, but I feel this situation is costing me money.

tietekop
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I have this exact same issue. I have not decided if I need to raise more preflop with AKo, to represent an even stronger hand - which may make the continuation bet more effective, or to act again after the turn. But at this time AKo off-suit is a loser for me (after 18k hands), and I am running into the same issue you bring up almost every time. 5BB bet pre-flop almost always 1, 2, or 3 callers; a continuation bet if I miss almost always gets called by at least 1 villain, I slow up on the turn and they fire back at me.

I am curious to see the responses you get.

Hoopster81
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1, 2, or 3 callers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can even think of betting here OOP unless it is HU.

FreakDaddy
08-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Take notes against the weak or donkish players - Are the look-up artist? Will they call a flop bet, but fold to a turn bet? If so, then fire two barrells with this hand. With any kind of draw on board against a weak player, expect to get called a fair portion of the time, so before betting make a decision about what type of players you're facing. If you're unsure, fire on the flop and check/fold the turn if you don't improve. Just make sure that you are creating an even mix of continuation bets if you miss the flop. This is very improtant live, not as much online though, but still mix it up.