PDA

View Full Version : AKo Post Flop at $50+5

burgi
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi,
would you play this hand any different and if yes, how?

***** Hand History for Game 2510903753 *****
30/60 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 14714158) - Wed Aug 10 12:19:41 EDT 2005
Table Table 11776 (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: xxx(750)
Seat 2: Hero(2105)
Seat 3: xxx(440)
Seat 4: xxx(1225)
Seat 5: Villain(925)
Seat 7: xxx(490)
Seat 8: xxx(2230)
Seat 9: xxx(860)
Seat 10: xxx(975)
xxx posts small blind (15)
Villain posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ As, Kd ]
xxx folds.
xxx folds.
xxx folds.
xxx calls (30)
xxx calls (30)
Hero raises (150) to 150
xxx folds.
xxx folds.
Villain calls (120)
xxx folds.
xxx folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5s, 9d, Ah ]
Villain checks.
Hero bets (175)
Villain calls (175)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5c ]
Villain checks.
Hero bets (450)
Villain raises (600) to 600
Villain is all-In.
Hero calls (150)
** Dealing River ** : [ 6h ]

Is this standard? Should I ever fold this hand with a flop like that and the turn pairing the board with a low card?

08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I would just push the turn but that's kind of insignificant.

Does villain cold call your raise with 99? A read would help us in that spot.

Yeah, I think the turn requires less thinking when you just push. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

schwza
08-10-2005, 01:15 PM
i'm sorry he had a 5. there is no way you're folding this hand once you see the flop.

therock
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
After the flop you have T1950 and Villian has T775, there are T365 chips in the pot. It should take you about 0.05 seconds to realize you are instantly pot committed after the flop. Just try to get all of Villian's chips in the pot. You don't care what the turn card is because you are pushing. I think your line on this hand was very standard.

bluefeet
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
nah, not a problem...you have to call the mini-push reraise.

personally, i would have bet more on the flop though. looks like you got to flop with a pot of t360.

a lead of t280-300ish is more appropriate here considering your stack (or flat out push assuming you both had t700ish looking at a pot > 1/2 your size).

having done so, you now are pushing any turn card here IMO - where the pot has him essentially all-in anyway.

bennies
08-10-2005, 01:19 PM
nh

I make tiny modifications (raise 200 preflop, raise only 300 on the turn) but my goal remains the same, to get him allin with me.

burgi
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
200? when the BB is 30? Don't you think that's a little too much?
(I'm not disagreeing, just wondering)
Also, I usually raise these to 125 at BB 30, but somehow got the little raise thing a little too far to the right lol

To the other question: I really don't have a read on the villain as we only did play 15 hands or so and he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary.

Also, I'm not even thinking about not calling his reraise. The question is more if I should have even raised the turn by that much or if I should slow down because he called the flop bet.

jgunnip
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I like the flop bet of 1/2 the pot. In fact that is my usual betting amount when I hit TPTK (holding an ace) on a fairly safe flop. I don't think you should ever fold this after the flop considering yours and villians stack sizes.

burgi
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Ok, thanks for all telling me that I would be crazy to fold this. And yes, he did have 99 and flopped his set. Oh well! I was still in good shape after this hand.

bennies
08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
I increase the initial raise amount according to how many limpers are in front of me, the more the merrier. After 4 limpers I might even push my whole stack with AK.

Still though, I feel these are minor details and I like the way you played it.

burgi
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I increase the initial raise amount according to how many limpers are in front of me, the more the merrier. After 4 limpers I might even push my whole stack with AK.

Still though, I feel these are minor details and I like the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thanks for the clarification on why you would raise more preflop! As I said, I didn't agree or disagree with you, I just wanted to know the reasoning, so I can think about it myself and adjust my play accordingly! Thanks for your response and explanation!

lastchance
08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Preflop: t150 is standard.

Flop: Interesting... You're not afraid of the free card, are you? Are there any hands that aren't going to pay you off with a bad turn, whatever that is? Letting a gutshot hit might not be a bad idea here..

I think checking behind is ok here. But, you can always bet out. You are pot-committed after betting though, and if t175 is a good idea, I think checking that turn should also be.

Of course, you are losing your stack to the FH. I'm just wondering if there are spots where you can get chips in when you're ahead.

ilya
08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't like betting the turn at all. What is the point? If he's behind he has at most 3 outs. Check the turn and maybe call, maybe fold the river depending on your read & your gut; bet if checked to.

burgi
08-10-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like betting the turn at all. What is the point? If he's behind he has at most 3 outs. Check the turn and maybe call, maybe fold the river depending on your read & your gut; bet if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You would not bet the turn? Why? This is a 55 and eventhough play is a little better than at lower limits, people will definitely call my raises with AQ here for example, eventhough I had no specific read on this player.

I don't even really know why I posted this hand, as I think that there is no way around putting my opponent allin and losing to his set. But, I was just wondering if somebody would ever consider folding this hand postflop, and if yes, why.

ilya
08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You would not bet the turn? Why? This is a 55 and eventhough play is a little better than at lower limits, people will definitely call my raises with AQ here for example, eventhough I had no specific read on this player.

I don't even really know why I posted this hand, as I think that there is no way around putting my opponent allin and losing to his set. But, I was just wondering if somebody would ever consider folding this hand postflop, and if yes, why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you check behind on the turn he will call you on the river with a wider range. He'll also bluff river sometimes whereas he would have folded on the turn.
Also if you play with the same people a lot it'll get you bluffed out less on the river when you cont-bet with say TT on flop and check turn.
Also you might be able to get away on the river or at least save some chips.

burgi
08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because if you check behind on the turn he will call you on the river with a wider range. He'll also bluff river sometimes whereas he would have folded on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting! I like it! Thanks for explaining this to me! I'm still learning and trying to get better, so any advice with some explanation for it is highly appreciated!
But, let's say I check the turn and he pushes the river, I call, right? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, just want to make sure! lol

ilya
08-10-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But, let's say I check the turn and he pushes the river, I call, right? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, just want to make sure! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome but please take my advice with a grain of salt, I can come off as more authoritative than I have a right to. I don't even play the $50s myself.

On the river I think I would usually call, but I wouldn't be that happy about it.

burgi
08-10-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome but please take my advice with a grain of salt, I can come off as more authoritative than I have a right to. I don't even play the $50s myself.

On the river I think I would usually call, but I wouldn't be that happy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, on the river, what would you be scared of? The set? I think that if I fold everytime I think my opponent has a set, I would have won a lot less chips than I do this way.

lastchance
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I agree with most of this, except I really doubt you can get away with AK here. The pot's huge, you have TPTK. There's almost no bet you are folding to.

However, I do like checking the turn to get more value on the river from weak aces, nines, and random other hands.

ilya
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But, on the river, what would you be scared of? The set? I think that if I fold everytime I think my opponent has a set, I would have won a lot less chips than I do this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, need to think about it more. The preflop call combined with the check-call on the draw-free Ace-high board combined with the turn check make me wary.

lastchance
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Weaker ace...

I think folding the river is really bad.

ilya
08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Weaker ace...

I think folding the river is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weaker ace pushes river? decent ace seems more likely to check-call.
Big pair doesn't re-raise preflop?