PDA

View Full Version : What do you make the first time you cook for a girl?

Shajen
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Do you have a standard meal you bust out consistently in these type situations or do you just go with whatever you have available?

My standard line is a NY strip (petite) for the lady and a ribeye for myself, with a hand-tossed salad, garlic mashed potatoes and bread. Throw in a nice bottle or two of wine and you're done. It's simple and good.

What about you?

Boris
08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
If they stay the night, eggs benedict in the morning is a nice thank you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Pfffft... the first meal cooked is whatever her woman ass wants to cook for me! It better damn well be steak, though.

jason_t
08-10-2005, 12:53 PM
An Italian dinner with penne with my own vodka sauce as the centrepiece and a side dish or two and a bottle of wine.

Omlettes for breakfast.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I think you have to go with something that you can't screw up. Yours is pretty nice, although some girls might not like the heaviness of the steak-potatoes-bread combo.

xadrez
08-10-2005, 12:54 PM
1)Meatloaf, or Feijoada
2)A sauteed vegetable (kale, spinach, or collard greens)
3)Homemade potato chips

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
A light cobb salad, and a few roophie coladas.

Wintermute
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Omelette. Bacon if I have it. OJ. After that, "don't let the door hit your ass on your way out honey."

lucas9000
08-10-2005, 01:02 PM
tube steak smothered in underwear.

lu_hawk
08-10-2005, 01:03 PM
i have literally never cooked a meal for a girl, and i have cooked very few for myself.

Shajen
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pfffft... the first meal cooked is whatever her woman ass wants to cook for me! It better damn well be steak, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh huh. Guess when you are a chipotle scientist, there's no need to cook at home eh?

Get yo bitch ass in the kitchen and make me a pie!

wh1t3bread
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
1. Baked Ziti
2. Salad
3. Fresh Italian Bread
4. Dessert
5. Box of Wine.

touchfaith
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My standard line is a NY strip (petite) for the lady and a ribeye for myself...

[/ QUOTE ]

You've already lost.

Nothing like starting out a relationship with "You're not good enough to eat the same steak as I" or "I don't want this, but you can have it..."

Nice

Aces McGee
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a friend who had a go-to meal in college, and it was extremely fun to meet his dates before dinner and predict, to their amazement, what they'd be having for dinner that night.

-McGee

citanul
08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't have a go to dish or anything, but a recommendation for those who might want one:

Seared Salmon.

Side dish vegetables, sauteed. Or rice. Or both.

Sauce, lemon butter. Or balsamic. Or salt and pepper. Or other spices.

Not only do women tend to like fish more than steak, it is easier to prepare, and they think it is harder.

citanul

Alobar
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I make really good enchiladas, so thats what I go with. I also make pancakes from scratch that are effing amazing, I let any girl know that I only make them for breakfast, and only if you've spent the night.....I've actually had a girl or two who I suspect that was the deciding factor on them staying the night with me, heh.

but anyway, your goal for the first meal should be to impress. so cook what ever you are best at, assuming its something she actually likes(i.e. dont cook steak for a vegan /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[censored]
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DMBFan23
08-10-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An Italian dinner with penne with my own vodka sauce as the centrepiece and a side dish or two and a bottle of wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

any music? (serious)

dcasper70
08-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Whatever it is, make it completely and totally inedible.

You will never have to cook another meal while in this relationship (huge long-term +ev).

Married 6 years, dated for 3 prior, cooked 1 crappy meal 8.5 years ago. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

offTopic
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Ribeyes
Salad
Baked Potato
Homemade Sourdough

MrWookie47
08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I cooked a beef tenderloin roast, roasted shallots, garlic mashed potatoes, a port wine sauce, and a Caesar salad for my last girlfriend for Valentine's day. The food was out of this world, but she was quite under-appreciative. Turns out that ingratitude was becoming a pattern, and that, coupled with some other differences, led to our breakup a few weeks later.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever it is, make it completely and totally inedible.

You will never have to cook another meal while in this relationship (huge long-term +ev).

Married 6 years, dated for 3 prior, cooked 1 crappy meal 8.5 years ago. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well done.

Shajen
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've already lost.

Nothing like starting out a relationship with "You're not good enough to eat the same steak as I" or "I don't want this, but you can have it..."

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you go around looking for people to annoy or does it just come naturally?

This is a good meal, I cook it quite well and I've never had any complaints. However, if she did bitch about the meal, chances are I'd be showing her the door early and end the relationship. Every woman I've ever cooked this meal for (about 15) have enjoyed it very much.

PS: I'm married. It was just something to discuss, but as usual, rather than bring something of substance to the discussion, you'd rather be an ass. You're too cool man.

Shajen
08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected more from you. Don't let me down man.

touchfaith
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've already lost.

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good meal, I cook it quite well and I've never had any complaints. However, if she did bitch about the meal, chances are I'd be showing her the door early and end the relationship. Every woman I've ever cooked this meal for (about 15) have enjoyed it very much.

PS: I'm married. It was just something to discuss, but as usual, rather than bring something of substance to the discussion, you'd rather be an ass. You're too cool man.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my answer annoys you, that is your own personal insecurity. I stand by my comment 100%.

How do you cook for someone for the first time and make them something different from what you are having?

Your original comment reeks of someone looking for a 'housewife'

It's not the 50's anymore dude.

The Yugoslavian
08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a go to dish or anything, but a recommendation for those who might want one:

Seared Salmon.

Side dish vegetables, sauteed. Or rice. Or both.

Sauce, lemon butter. Or balsamic. Or salt and pepper. Or other spices.

Not only do women tend to like fish more than steak, it is easier to prepare, and they think it is harder.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

So far I think this is the best advice in the thread. Personally I like to cook a pasta dish thing with sausage and onions, seasoned with basil and some other stuff. I would make this with a salad and a 'special' dressing all my family members make (and probably isn't very unique, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

It's ridiculously easy to make and quite tasty. Plus I can talk about all the cool memories I have of my grandmother, father, mother, etc, etc making such a dish and such. So that's a good story opportunity too (a good 'first cook' topic but possibly not great 'first date' topic).

Also, women love to eat sausage. And it's good to get their juices flowin' early in the evening.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yugoslav

david050173
08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've already lost.

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If my answer annoys you, that is your own personal insecurity. I stand by my comment 100%.

How do you cook for someone for the first time and make them something different from what you are having?

Your original comment reeks of someone looking for a 'housewife'

It's not the 50's anymore dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a bit curious about the rational of why she gets a different steak?

Shajen
08-10-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. I don't have the energy to waste on replying to you anymore. Have a nice day.

touchfaith
08-10-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. I don't have the energy to waste on replying to you anymore. Have a nice day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another typical response.

People will post all day when they feel someone agrees with them. Speak the truth and back into the turtle shell they go.

sfer
08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Omlettes for breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. Nothing that requires a knife.

Shajen
08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Women typically eat less than men. This is a gross generalization, but it's a generalization for a reason, it's true. There's also no bone in the strip for them to have to deal with. Some women (imo) find this a bit awkward during the initial dating phase.

Alobar
08-10-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Omlettes for breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nice

cockandbull
08-10-2005, 02:03 PM
cum on me chicken.

samjjones
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cooked a beef tenderloin roast, roasted shallots, garlic mashed potatoes, a port wine sauce, and a Caesar salad for my last girlfriend for Valentine's day. The food was out of this world, but she was quite under-appreciative. Turns out that ingratitude was becoming a pattern, and that, coupled with some other differences, led to our breakup a few weeks later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, that sounds good. I might give you a reach around for that meal.

jakethebake
08-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Is your wife aware of these dinner dates?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a standard meal you bust out consistently in these type situations or do you just go with whatever you have available?

My standard line is a NY strip (petite) for the lady and a ribeye for myself, with a hand-tossed salad, garlic mashed potatoes and bread. Throw in a nice bottle or two of wine and you're done. It's simple and good.

What about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

johnnybeef
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I like to cook a pasta dish thing with sausage and onions,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo.....Sigh. Haven't I taught you anything?

Shajen
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is your wife aware of these dinner dates?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what was pissing me off...I was trying to get some discussion going for the youngins here that may be starting to do this for the first time. I never suggested my dinner of choice was the best or whatever, but you know how it goes.

I was trying to help. Last time I'll do that.

Oh, and no, she isn't, so don't tell her.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jackdaniels
08-10-2005, 03:46 PM
I'd throw a sausage down her throat and finish it off with a nice "Cream of Sum-Yung-Guy".

<font color="white"> But if the objective is to impress, anything Italian will do - as it is easier to drink wine with Italian food and booze is your friend in these situations </font>

Shajen
08-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Who's the young guy?

jackdaniels
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who's the young guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it isn't me - I'm probably not in the room!

RollaJ
08-10-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who's the young guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it isn't me - I'm probably not in the room!

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb
08-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I agree. Salmon is great. The best salmon I have ever had was made with this awesome horseradish dill sauce (is made, I should say, I order it at least once a month).

Another good (and interesting) salmon recipe is with a maple glaze. It's a bit different but very good. It may surprise and impress her even if she's eaten a lot of fish. (Go ahead, there's an alley-oop if somebody wants to take it.) I wish I had a recipe for it handy but I haven't made it in years.

Surf'n'turf can be a really good date meal. I think a light meal is important so you don't get bloated and lazy afterwards. Keep your game sharp. Start off with a light salad and learn to make a good balsamic or lemon herb type dressing. It's really pretty easy. Then dinner is SMALL portions of filet mignon, seared scallops and lamb. A good side is a really light, mercilessly whipped potato, or some crispy fried onions. Get a nice cab or pinot and settle the whole thing with a bit of grapa.

Another fun thing is to make sushi together, but that's not a first date thing.

NT

bdohaney
08-11-2005, 01:26 AM
When I was dating... I had several things I could cook well, depending on my intentions. If my intentions were romantic, lamb chops with a white wine citrus demi-glaze or lasagne using fresh pasta, cheeses, etc... And a wine that is well paired to the meal. If I wanted to just have fun, I would usually go with my fajitas, and a pitcher or two of strawberry rita's to get the tequilla flowing through her (and me...) When it comes down to it, what you cook, how you cook it, and what you pair it with can tell her a great deal. And, most importantly, regardless of what you cook, if she wasn't interested (fairly seriously interested), she wouldn't be at your place at all.

imported_anacardo
08-11-2005, 01:36 AM
I really need to expand my repetoire.

I do a lot of things well, but they're strictly guy-oriented foodstuffs.

Chili, several kinds of enchiladas, beef stew, fairly heavy pasta dishes, steaks, burgers, barbecue, that sort of thing.

Texas galoot cuisine.

Diplomat
08-11-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty good, especially if you can cook a steak to how she wants it done. Shows some skill. Otherwise, salmon is a much better fail-safe, as it is pretty much impossible to undercook it.

Really though, if you can do something really well that is out of the ordinary, you should do it. A good example given already was bake your own bread to go with the meal. It's easy as heck to do, and easy for it to be noticed. Shows effort, skill, etc. Just test it out first, eh?

As for the who-gets-what-steak debate, you really should serve the same steak. If you want a bigger steak, get a bigger NY strip and save the rib-eye for another night.

-Diplomat

bdohaney
08-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Or... Best yet, find out what her favorite meal is from one of her friends, etc, and cook THAT for her. Don't let her know what you are going to cook, and surprise her. Shows attention to the small things, and shows that she is important to you... (WARNING- Don't do this if you just want a fling.)

jason_t
08-11-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Omlettes for breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. Nice.

TheCroShow
08-11-2005, 03:36 AM
your Hot Pockets you keep in reserve, she will be smart enough to see how much those mean to you....so she'll be like "awwww he is so sweet!" guarenteed tang buddy

pokerdirty
08-11-2005, 03:57 AM
stir fry is the ultimate. you got your meat (for the guy), you got your veggies (for the ho), you got some filling rice, and some nice sauce on top. easy as [censored] to make (you can buy bags stir fry veggie mix, and stir fry meat that has been pre cut) 20 minutes to make, tops.

I don't know if this will work if you bring home an asian girl though.

DavidC
08-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Let me be the first to suggest anything except omellettes with kidney beans in them.

Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking.

FWIW, it tasted awesome, but I had to eat it alone.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

--Dave.

sleepyjoeyt
08-11-2005, 07:29 AM
whenever you post I see that avatar and immediately think of Will Farrell.

It especially works when you say something that I could see him saying, such as "well done".

Vavavoom
08-11-2005, 07:31 AM
I'd go with Pasta (can be meaty or non-meat)....wine......and then dessert....something chocolate..

chesspain
08-11-2005, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've already lost.

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I had the same reaction when I read that you made yourself a larger and more expensive cut of steak than you made for your dates.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet when it comes to sex you've "never had any complaints," either.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice how you needed to mention as an afterthought that you are married. You wouldn't want anyone to think that you might still be single after having made the same, amazing meal to fifteen, different adoring women.

On second thought, why would a guy who is married even start a post about what to make the first time he cooks for a woman?

NorCalJosh
08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
why dont you read his posts and find out why he started it? give the dude a [censored] break.

IndieMatty
08-11-2005, 09:35 AM
You're completely out of your element here Chess. Read the whole thread, Shajen has rare status in these parts as being good people. Your condescending statements are way off base.

jackdaniels
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're completely out of your element here Chess. Read the whole thread, Shajen has rare status in these parts as being good people. Your condescending statements are way off base.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Shajen = good peeps.

citanul
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or... Best yet, find out what her favorite meal is from one of her friends, etc, and cook THAT for her. Don't let her know what you are going to cook, and surprise her. Shows attention to the small things, and shows that she is important to you... (WARNING- Don't do this if you just want a fling.)

[/ QUOTE ]

As a first date thing that's just really [censored] creepy.

citanul

Shajen
08-11-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Shajen = good peeps.

[/ QUOTE ]

AWWW /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.3bellsembroidery.com/images/new/Bear%20Hug.jpg

Uhm, I mean...uh...here, a hot chick!

http://elisha.primenova.com/fhmus/fhmus5.jpg

bdohaney
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a first date thing that's just really [censored] creepy.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if done wrong. If a girl is coming to YOUR PLACE for dinner, odds are it isn't a first date. If it IS the first date and she is already at your place, well, there is not much that you can do wrong, and it is definitely looking more "flingy."

CCovington
08-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Spaghetti from Olive Garden or some italian restaurant, go pick it up, put in oven, girl comes over, take out, eat, screw, sleep...

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've already lost.

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I had the same reaction when I read that you made yourself a larger and more expensive cut of steak than you made for your dates.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet when it comes to sex you've "never had any complaints," either.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice how you needed to mention as an afterthought that you are married. You wouldn't want anyone to think that you might still be single after having made the same, amazing meal to fifteen, different adoring women.

On second thought, why would a guy who is married even start a post about what to make the first time he cooks for a woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100....errr...ok, 99%

And for the hater/bandwagoneers jumping on the 'nice guy' comment and running with it...

WTF does that matter? And why does the fact that someone is a 'nice guy' lessen someones else opinions?

One has nothing to do with the other, but I guess someone of you need something to post about combined with an overwhelming need to be accepted.

That = sheepish behavor

smokingrobot
08-11-2005, 11:34 AM
attempting a wine reduction sauce with a london broil or that ribeye would really knock her socks off.

its not too hard to make, but it looks really professional.