PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi World Series, Day 3 - copied from The Hendon Mob Forum

Martin Aigner
03-22-2003, 04:02 PM
I just read this post on The Hendon Mob Forum and I really enyoied it. It´s original is posted by "Your foreign correspondent ". I hope, he don´t mind that I copied it. If so, contact me and I´ll take care that it´s deleted.

The final of the Iraqi Poker Zillion entered its third day with George Bush holding by far the biggest stack.
The game had got off to a disappointing start when two of the nine finalists, Jacques “The Falcon” Chirac and Gerhard “The Bear” Schroeder failed to turn up at the appointed hour, leaving Australia’s Johnny “Kangaroo” Howard, Turkey’s Jonny “cold as ice” Diamond, Kurdistan’s surprise qualifier Massoud “Godfather” Barzani, Spain’s Luis “The Admiral” Blanco, the UK’s Tony “Skeleton” Blair, defending champ from the 1991 series Saddam “The Terminator” Hussein and hot favourite George “The Big W” Bush, to fight for the $100 trillion first prize (payable in oil).

With two vacant seats, The Big W immediately went on the offensive, smacking in a raise on Saddam’s big blind. The Terminator showed that he was no quick quitter and called, but folded to Bush’s bet on the flop of Ace, Deuce, Five rainbow.

Turk Jonny Ice then made a surprise reraise of The Big W, slipping 1,000 into the pot from his northern position. Bush had a glazed look at this point and a whisper in his ear from backer Don “Don’t Mess with the Man” Rumsfeld was needed before the Big W laid down his hand.

For the first 100 hands or so, Bush showed that his reputation for heavy-handed bullying was no myth, although some of the other players had voiced quiet objections that he had been allowed to start with 10 times as many chips as any of the other players. Spain’s “The Admiral” and Johnny “Kangaroo” were playing so quietly that at one point commentator Jesse May asked why they bothered to turn up at all, if they were going to be virtually invisible. Meanwhile the Kurd “Godfather” Barzani, who had made a move to make early gains at Saddam’s expense, found himself pincered in a brilliant reraise by Turk Jonny Diamond. He decided that discretion would in this instance be the better part of valour, and folded. Barzani had only qualified for the final in an online Pokerstars tournament, and looked slightly outclassed when it came to firepower.

Meanwhile “The Skeleton” was gradually building on his small beginnings. Blair had said in a pre-match interview that he was “so used to playing with a short stack against the Big W, I don’t know what I’ll do if I find myself in front”.

At the end of the third day, with blinds up to 4,000/8,000, chip stacks were:

Gerhard “The Bear” Schroeder (Germany) 0 (blinded away)
Jacques “The Falcon” Chirac (France) 0 (blinded away)
Jonny “cold as ice” Diamond (Turkey) 80,000
Luis “The Admiral” Blanco (Spain) 9,000
Jonny “Kangaroo” Howard (Australia) 12,000
Tony “The Skeleton” Blair (UK) 80,000
Massoud “Godfather” Barzani (Kurdistan) 40,000
Saddam “The Terminator” Hussein (Iraq) 70,000
George “The Big W” Bush (USA) 1,986,000