PDA

View Full Version : Resolutions

citanul
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
A couple days ago someone made a post talking about how they were going to spend the next day or so actually working on their game for a change. I think that we'd alll likely be better players if we did this from time to time. Further, I think that putting what we want to work on in a public space always helps people towards their goals, for who knows what reason.

My resolution is to fold to more checkraises. Limit, NL, PL, whatever. Doesn't matter. I sit there saying things like "oh for god's sake (citanul) they have a set, you should just fold." And then the other side of my brain manages to both seize the control of the mouse AND THE MOUTH, and go "pshah (citanul), they're donks, no way they have that." My reads are good. I should trust them more, but for now, I'll work on folding to obviously better hands, even when they are donks.

What are you going to work on?

citanul

Freudian
08-10-2005, 12:13 PM
It's funny because I also am too thick to take my own advice. I had a guy with 0% PFR minraise in level 2. I had QQ so I made it 150 or so. He pushed. And before he pushed I thought "If he pushes he has AA". Of course I called. Of course he had AA.

citanul
08-10-2005, 12:14 PM
So we're both donks, no?

citanul

starvs
08-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I thought this post was going to be about monitor resolutions at first. 1600x1200 if requierd to 4-table without overlap.

What im going to attempt to work on is looking over my game more. Manually and with SNGPT. I wish you could still load HH into SNGPT like you were able to pefore PP updated.

durron597
08-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I need to stop every so often HU decide post flop "I am winning this pot bitch, ALLIN" and then get called and lose.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t6251)
Hero (t7249)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1025) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t1400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6624</font>, Button calls t4226 (All-In).

Turn: (t13275) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t13275) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t13275

IdiotVig
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Along the same vein, my resolution is to let more medium-high pocket pairs go when overcards flop and there's action to me. This especially includes hands like 88-TT when the flop comes something like Jxx or Qxx.

citanul
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
especially if you play against yugo, don't do that. he'll call you down with bottom pair bottom kicker.

holla.

citanul
08-10-2005, 12:18 PM
i can gaurantee you an immediate improvement in your ITM and ROI if you do this.

citanul

whynot?
08-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Amen - my main whole is being smart enough to let "probable" second best hands go. Its far better to fold with the best hand then to call with the second best. My personal problem is assuming the other guy doesnt have what he's representing. Nota smart approach

Maulik
08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I plan on putting the time to learn &amp; play MTTs.

SlackerMcFly
08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My reads are good. I should trust them more, but for now, I'll work on folding to obviously better hands, even when they are donks

[/ QUOTE ]

A "drill" that has worked for me in this area is to play five mini-steps ($6 buy-in). During the game, my only goal is to pick a situation and put villain on a very specific range of hands (JJ, QA, T9, whatever), then call him down regardless of what I have to see if I'm right.

I don't care if I bust out, my aim is to score high with my reads and that is the only score that counts during the drills.

Silly kind of, but it's a cheap ($30) exercise and helps to reinforce my reads and confidence in making the right choices. Seems to help especially when I'm running poorly.

SlackerMcChalkboard

CollinEstes
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Just this morning I was thinking about how I need to stop getting so "married" to a hand, like A-K or JJ when the board obviously hits someone else and yet I still push in and try to hit my card, or steal the pot.

Then I get beat by KQ or QJ I act like it was a bad beat.

That is getting over the feeling of being "pot commited".

eastbay
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish you could still load HH into SNGPT like you were able to pefore PP updated.

[/ QUOTE ]

??

Have you checked the Release/Upgrade forum since the update?

eastbay

shejk
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
This is a good idea.

My longterm goal is to think more while I play. I regularly make a decision that I, before I can see the results, realize was wrong.

Shortterm, I'm going to make fewer pushes requiring a bubble while 6-handed etc.

schwza
08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
i'm going to work on folding hands that are pretty strong to a significant amount of action. that's one place that i still constantly disagree (by play or post) with the very good/expert posters all the time.

things like "i have JJ and limp utg in a 5-way pot in level 1. i lead a rag flop and there's a call, a raise and a cold call behind me." i have a tendency to go "bwaahhh! i can beat TPTK! i must throw all my chips at the pot."

so sometimes in the next week or so i will post a hand where i made what i consider to be a tough fold post flop.

oh, here's another one: if i'm trying to run over the bubble with a big stack and someone shows a willingness to make what i think is a bad call, it's not ok to play as if they'll start making correct bubble folds after i double them up.

great post, btw citanul.

bluefeet
08-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Resolution: Stay centered and patient.

When I'm running hot, I have a tendancy to accept risks that I know I shouldn't.

When I'm cold, I get too impatient looking for a quick 'recovery' - presenting unnecessary risk.

The key to a steady climb for me, is to stay centered. Trying to employ what I understand to be the optimal move for the given situation -- and putting in the time here, and in the books to better understand what that optimal move is.

Ixnert
08-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I need to work more on learning that people don't bluff as much as I think they do, and stop saying to myself, "y'know, Self, he's full of crap, I'm calling/pushing..."

Mr_J
08-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Play better postflop early on from the blinds (too weak-tight here).

Being more aggressive preflop early on.

Brush up on my ICM math, get a more accurate idea on pushing ranges vs calling ranges etc.

Start restealing more. I fold too much against minraises.

Always maintain FE, even if it means taking a gamble to conserve it.

Always take the change of blinds into account. A couple of times I've passed on a push that I wouldn't have if I realized blinds were about to go up.

johnnybeef
08-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a poker journal in which I discuss things that I did especially well, and potential leaks. I started it this summer, and report whenever I feel necesarry, and it is 4 pages long full of posts similar to this. I'm not really going to report what they are as most people here play at my level it seems, but I will let you know that I have the same problem that Citanul does (there is nothing worse in poker then when a weak player check raises me.)

fnord_too
08-10-2005, 01:29 PM
My resolution is to learn how to use the SNGPT I registered a month ago.

Apathy
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My reads are good. I should trust them more, but for now, I'll work on folding to obviously better hands, even when they are donks

[/ QUOTE ]

A "drill" that has worked for me in this area is to play five mini-steps ($6 buy-in). During the game, my only goal is to pick a situation and put villain on a very specific range of hands (JJ, QA, T9, whatever), then call him down regardless of what I have to see if I'm right.

I don't care if I bust out, my aim is to score high with my reads and that is the only score that counts during the drills.

Silly kind of, but it's a cheap ($30) exercise and helps to reinforce my reads and confidence in making the right choices. Seems to help especially when I'm running poorly.

SlackerMcChalkboard

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in a particularirly interesting mood I do this at the $215s, call a river bet and then say, ship it! Got the suits and everything!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Degen
08-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I def need to start laying down beat hands and improving my post flop game instead of just self-handicapping with 'i suck at poker'. Whether i'm check raised, min raised, bet into or called...time to start putting reads on people and folding when beat and not being afraid to limp in with AQ because i can tell when i'm beat on a Q or A hi board if i work on it.

Apathy
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is nothing worse in poker then when a weak player check raises me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something about poker I have never understood. Why do players who are winners think like this?

Not to single you out, your post just reminded me of the many times I have seen this attitude in experienced players.

Poker is a game that everyone has a different strategy for. When someone check raises you (especially with an obviously better hand) taking it personally is silly. I saw (maybe read) an interview with Phil Hellmuth once where he alluded to the fact that on ething he hated the most was people raising or check raising him, especially noobs, because he didn't feel like his bets were getting 'respect'.

I'm not sure if that was just one of his many acts to get people not to mess with him or if he was serious but it's that kind of attitude that can lead you astray in key hands.

Don't fall victim to making poker more then what it is, especially when that is so easily avoidable online.

The Yugoslavian
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
especially if you play against yugo, don't do that. he'll call you down with bottom pair bottom kicker.

holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just bitter that I pwn3d you last night HU after running into your flopped full house for all but 500 chips, then storming back, making a disasterous misclick and still pullin' out the big W.

Ship it BATCH!

BOW DOWN!!!!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yugoslav
PS Calling you down with bottom pair/bottom kicker is what I like to call 'value calling,' dork!

AA suited
08-10-2005, 01:50 PM
1) Fold to a check/raise more often

2) I am too thick to take my own advice.
ie: I had QQ so I made it 150 or so. He pushed. And before he pushed I thought "If he pushes he has AA". Of course I called. and of course he had AA.

3) I need to stop every so often HU decide post flop "I am winning this pot bitch, ALLIN" and then get called and lose.

4) stop getting so "married" to a hand. if you *think* he has overpair/2pair/ set/etc, fold it and pick a better spot.

5) call less

6) *STOP* calling altogether if it's 10%+ of my stack and I dont have a monster. push or fold.

shish
08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
My resolution is to stop this:

Situation: If I call this bet, it's for all my chips in a tournament.

Logically: Fold
Instinctively: Fold
Past Experience: Fold
My finger (apparantly operating independently of my brain): Call

Interesting how that happens

AA suited
08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
btw- i'm glad to see i'm not the only ones making these dorkish plays.

I could only imagine what my ROI would be if i stopped doing even 1/2 of the stuff on my "WTF did i do that for" list. *shudder*

benfranklin
08-10-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My resolution is to fold to more checkraises. Limit, NL, PL, whatever. Doesn't matter. I sit there saying things like "oh for god's sake (citanul) they have a set, you should just fold." And then the other side of my brain manages to both seize the control of the mouse AND THE MOUTH, and go "pshah (citanul), they're donks, no way they have that." My reads are good. I should trust them more, but for now, I'll work on folding to obviously better hands, even when they are donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conventional wisdom can often be right. And conventional wisdom from other areas can apply to poker. Two examples:

1. In considering options in a difficult personal situation, the hardest option is usually the right one. (Fold.)

2. From academics, when unsure of the answer in an objective test, trust your first instinct. (You are beat.)

These apply to your specific problem of calling check-raises, and more generally to talking yourself into a call/raise while the little voice in the back of your head is saying, "This is stupid. This is really stupid." Meanwhile the big voice in the front of your brain is counting the pot and drooling.

I'm going to start listening more to the little voice.

45suited
08-10-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Conventional wisdom can often be right. And conventional wisdom from other areas can apply to poker. Two examples:

1. In considering options in a difficult personal situation, the hardest option is usually the right one. (Fold.)

2. From academics, when unsure of the answer in an objective test, trust your first instinct. (You are beat.)

These apply to your specific problem of calling check-raises, and more generally to talking yourself into a call/raise while the little voice in the back of your head is saying, "This is stupid. This is really stupid." Meanwhile the big voice in the front of your brain is counting the pot and drooling.

I'm going to start listening more to the little voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. So true.

johnnybeef
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do players who are winners think like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

One word....ego. When a weak player checkraises you, they outplayed you more times than not. Your ego can be a powerful weapon if you use it correctly (ie. "I'm gonna lay this one down because he has me beat, I'm a better player, and I can find a better situation than this to get my money in against him"), and ego can be a terrible crutch if used incorrectly (ie. "that fish checkraised me? thats a slap in the face, i'll show him.....'i'm all in' ")

networkman
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Adapting my play.

Now and then I'll see my cards, decide my action and stick to it regardless of what my opponents have done. I've got to take a bit of extra time and give myself a chance to change my play.

I tend to do this once every few days and I don't know why. Sometimes I really get pissed at myself, it's just so dumb... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jgunnip
08-10-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Resolution: Stay centered and patient.

When I'm running hot, I have a tendancy to accept risks that I know I shouldn't.

When I'm cold, I get too impatient looking for a quick 'recovery' - presenting unnecessary risk.

The key to a steady climb for me, is to stay centered. Trying to employ what I understand to be the optimal move for the given situation -- and putting in the time here, and in the books to better understand what that optimal move is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up what I was going to write.

Also: Review more of my HHs. I have a tendancy to just want to play play play play play, when I really should be play play review think fix/stategierize play.

I also have a goal of playing X # of SNGs a day and then working on my limit game.

08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
i resolve to only play sng's because my cash games play sucks.

Maulik
08-10-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i resolve to only play sng's because my cash games play sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

learning cash game play will probably help your SNG play one way or another. buy a book &amp; study.

hobbes9324
08-10-2005, 06:14 PM
If I remember right, in "Positivly Fifth Street" McManus called this "alien hand syndrome" - which I like - the name, that is, not when I have it....

1C5
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Play more when I am winning and less when I am losing. I do the opposite which makes no sense.

jeffraider
08-10-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play more when I am winning and less when I am losing. I do the opposite which makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. "Oh sweet I just won two and came third in one! Time to get drunk and stoned as [censored]!"

mcpherzen
08-10-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to seek out more games with Citanul in them and check-raise him a whole bunch.

--Z

citanul
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
so far i am 1 for 3 in folding in these spots since i posted this thread.

hope everyone is doing better than that.

citanul

durron597
08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I've only gotten HU once since posting in this thread. I don't know if that's better or worse.

AA suited
08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
sigh.. havent learned my lesson yet:

lvl3. no reads. i'm mp with ako.

folded to me. i raise to 150.
button calls.
everyone else folds.

we both have 900 chips.

flop is rainbow with K high. seeing no flush draw, i bet weakly (75chips), hoping to string the villian along. he calls.

turn card matches one of the suits. now that there's a flush draw possible, i bet 1/2pot. he min raises.

seeing as i have tptk, i push. he calls. he flopped a set.

How should i have played this differently?

citanul
08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
you should have typed in

donkeys always draw

before calling.

citanul

kevstreet
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. "Oh sweet I just won two and came third in one! Time to get drunk and stoned as [censored]!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, me too. I think to myself "I'm up $150, not bad, I'll quit while I'm ahead"

and

All the posts about knowing to fold and then arbitrarily hitting the "CALL" button is spot on! Unbelievable.

As far as my resolution, I need to think a little more once the bubble bursts, especially during heads up. I'm in insta-push mode to quickly and end up running in to monsters.

schwza
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to work on folding hands that are pretty strong to a significant amount of action. that's one place that i still constantly disagree (by play or post) with the very good/expert posters all the time.

things like "i have JJ and limp utg in a 5-way pot in level 1. i lead a rag flop and there's a call, a raise and a cold call behind me." i have a tendency to go "bwaahhh! i can beat TPTK! i must throw all my chips at the pot."

so sometimes in the next week or so i will post a hand where i made what i consider to be a tough fold post flop.

oh, here's another one: if i'm trying to run over the bubble with a big stack and someone shows a willingness to make what i think is a bad call, it's not ok to play as if they'll start making correct bubble folds after i double them up.

great post, btw citanul.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it's not post-flop, it's not in a STT, and at least one excellent poster has said it was a bad fold, but i at least avoided the temptation to say "i have AK - bwwwaaaahhhh - fling chips!"

fold AK hand (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3116913&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1)

A_PLUS
08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
My goal is too stop forgetting everything else I know about poker and going push crazy nearing the end of a SNG.

Ive been to quick to push (post flop) when a much smaller bet will get me the exact same result when I am ahead, and save me enough chips to have F.E. when I am behind.

Also having enough patience to pass up marginally +EV situations when I am pretty sure I will get a call with any 2.

lacky
08-11-2005, 03:47 PM
LMAO, real honest LMAO

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to seek out more games with Citanul in them and check-raise him a whole bunch.

--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMFAO. bwahahahhahhahaha. nh sir. holla

The Yugoslavian
08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit A of why Zen needs to post more.

Yugoslav
PS How are the 33s? You've probably played like, 100 by now to Irie's 400? /images/graemlins/grin.gif
PPS You should get on AOL IM and then Irie et al can bother you about how hen pecked you are. Or are you too whipped to be allowed AOL IM? /images/graemlins/blush.gif