PDA

View Full Version : NYC Restaurants

Paluka
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
There have been a lot of threads about various NYC restaurants lately, so hopefully there will be plenty of responses here. I'm basically sick of everywhere I eat in NYC. Some places I've just eaten at too much, and some I've just outgrown. So I want to hear about some new places. Here are the criteria;

1) I'm a vegetarian, and so are most of my friends. The place must have plentiful vegetarian options.

2) I'd like the places to be casual, I don't want someone to have to worry about what they are wearing.

3) Manhattan and Brooklyn only please.

4) I may eat at this places with El Diablo, and you know you want to impress him, because you are a bunch of asskissers.

Thank you.

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
gobo
kates joint
pukk

www.citysearch.com (http://www.citysearch.com)

MoreWineII
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
if i had a dollar for every NY restaurant thread...

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gobo
kates joint
pukk

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you include the citysearch link?
I noticed you included 2 vegetarian places. I basically know all the vegetarian places. I've eaten at Gobo and Kate's a million times. I'm looking for places that aren't fully vegetarian but still have stuff I can eat. My whole problem is that a lot of the vegetarian places a) get boring fast or b) just have low quality grub.

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i had a dollar for every NY restaurant thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

you still wouldn't be able to afford a good meal in this expensive city.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gobo
kates joint
pukk

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you include the citysearch link?
I noticed you included 2 vegetarian places. I basically know all the vegetarian places. I've eaten at Gobo and Kate's a million times. I'm looking for places that aren't fully vegetarian but still have stuff I can eat. My whole problem is that a lot of the vegetarian places a) get boring fast or b) just have low quality grub.

[/ QUOTE ]

just because I was too lazy to post thoughts.

Ok, I reccomended Palmador on the LES the other day. It's across from Pianos and all those joints. It's a cuban place (vegetarian options); and it's real casual. They also have a damn good carne asada so El D should be content.

My pesci-vegetarian friend just rattled these off too:

Klong,
Angon,
Devi.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:12 PM
A good example of what I'm looking for here is Josie's on the UWS. It is great for vegetarians but has meaty food, it is tasty, it is casual, and it is not ethnic. I appreciate the help but obviously I can figure out the Indian places on my own.

sfer
08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A good example of what I'm looking for here is Josie's on the UWS. It is great for vegetarians but has meaty food, it is tasty, it is casual, and it is not ethnic. I appreciate the help but obviously I can figure out the Indian places on my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a Josie's in Murray Hill too.

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said I am getting these from my friend; she tries to go to these types of places all the time. I should have just suggested Palmador. I really enjoyed Ono at the Gansevort by the way; but it's not too casual.

Anyhoo; here's her response:

friend: he sounds like an obnoxious ass
friend: for real
friend: those are 3 good suggestions
friend: and josie's isn't great

sfer
08-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I like Westville a lot. Used to be one on 14th but only the West Village one is left. There's a Korean tofu-only place that is quite good, Cho Dang Gol. The tofu is all handmade there, veg friendly, and stuff that you can't get at other Korean places.

jason_t
08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Angelica Kitchen
Kate's Joint
Zen Palate

and any of the city's many Pakistan or Indian restaurants.

And, the best vegetarian restaurant I've been too in NYC (but it's not casual as you ask) is Hangawi.

sfer
08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I would bet most of the world's natural resources that Paluka has been to Zen Palate.

jason_t
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet most of the world's natural resources that Paluka has been to Zen Palate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't take -EV bets.

Have you been to Hangawi?

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually there yesterday, and not by choice. The place really is the most overrated vegetarian restaurant on the planet. If I never eat there again, I'll be pleased. The upstairs Zen Palate is actaully pretty tasty, though.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Angelica Kitchen
Kate's Joint
Zen Palate

and any of the city's many Pakistan or Indian restaurants.

And, the best vegetarian restaurant I've been too in NYC (but it's not casual as you ask) is Hangawi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have obvioulsy been to all these places.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said I am getting these from my friend; she tries to go to these types of places all the time. I should have just suggested Palmador. I really enjoyed Ono at the Gansevort by the way; but it's not too casual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! If I'm being obnoxious in this thread I apoligize. I understand those are great suggestions.

sfer
08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked out their website. I applaud the efforts of my countrymen to take advantage of white people's willingness to equate old, slanty-eyed people with healthy and mystical.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked out their website. I applaud the efforts of my countrymen to take advantage of white people's willingness to equate old, slanty-eyed people with healthy and mystical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha!

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

The online reviews for Odo are awesomely bad, but I never trust those anyway. What is Palmador? Did you mean Paladar?

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! If I'm being obnoxious in this thread I apoligize. I understand those are great suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, unfortunately she wants nothing more to do with OOT restaurant threads.

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

The online reviews for Odo are awesomely bad, but I never trust those anyway. What is Palmador? Did you mean Paladar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops yeah I suck, I meant palador--and it probably doesn't have enough veggie options to suit you. I suck--leaving thread.

You mean Ono? I mean Ono. And it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Paluka
08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gobo
kates joint
pukk

[/ QUOTE ]

Pukk looks cool, I have never heard of it. Apparently there are still vegetarian places I've never been to. Thanks.

Enon
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Candle Cafe doesn't meet your criteria of having meaty options (its all vegan) but the candle cafe cookbook is definitely the best cookbook I own.

The Armchair
08-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Josie's UWS is really crowded.

I'm not a vegetarian but I play one at many restaurants, especially now. (Don't ask.) There's a great Turkish place called Beyoglu (http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/8575.htm) in my 'hood (UES) that (a) I'm going to in 10 minutes and (b) has a great vegetable mezes platter that is filling, tasty, and not exceptionally pricey. It also has a good lineup of non-veg items for those who are not vegetarians.

They also don't do takeout or delivery, if that matters, which it shouldn't.