PDA

View Full Version : 55s ... Semi - Stop and Go

junkmail3
08-10-2005, 10:57 AM
When the cards got dealt, I planned on pushing this when it got to me in the SB.

But UTG called and messed things up. (He had been calling, not raising a lot).

So, I thought about pushing, because he likely didn't have a great hand that he wanted to commit to. But then looking at my stack and the pot, there is a good chance that he would call.

So, I called with the intention of pushing almost any flop.

How does this look?

***** Hand History for Game 2508009436 *****
300/600 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 14698538) - Tue Aug 09 22:10:17 EDT 2005
Table Table 22353 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 2: DoYouSeeWhy (3620)
Seat 5: HERO (835)
Seat 6: wigglyparty (2660)
Seat 10: BigMoneyBann (2885)
sushi_ posts small blind (150)
wigglyparty posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 8c, Ks ]
BigMoneyBann calls (300)
DoYouSeeWhy folds.
HERO calls (150)
wigglyparty checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4s, Jd, Jh ]
HERO bets (535)
HERO is all-In.

Lady Dont Tekno
08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I push preflop hoping UTG calls. The main reason I don't stop and go here is because it's a 3 way pot on the flop. Just play your K8 vs one other player, there's a good chance he's got something like JT or QJ and even against something like A5 you're not that much of a dog.

Basically, you're too short to be making fancy plays.

LDT

bluefeet
08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
yeah - we're not going to get too many flops more favorable than that.

pushing PF is soooooo close though. a couple hundred more chips and BB might just step aside to UTG's suspicious (IMO) limp.

Edit: lol...there i go thinking "55s" where your cards. i should REALLY pay attention. K8? hmmmm. i might just ditch it (really don't like UTG's limp)...praying i can push any two from the button next hand - getting HU maybe w/ BB's random. regarding my original comment...still not a bad flop having gotten here.

junkmail3
08-10-2005, 11:13 AM
UTGs limp doesn't concern me here. He's done it before without a monster.

I know I'm getting called by one player if I push preflop. and I really don't want to with K8o. So it was either, stop and go here or fold and push one of my next two hands (which surely would be called).

Freudian
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I've all but stopped doing Stop'n'go's. It almost never works at the 22s. And yes, when I look at the HH afterwards it seems like it should work. I have enough chips for my flop bet to mean something and my opponent miss the flop. But the bastards keep calling me down.

So now I just push instead. Once I get to play the 1000 chip SnGs I'll start thinking about doing the Stop'n'go again.

Lady Dont Tekno
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTGs limp doesn't concern me here. He's done it before without a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I definitely push here. I want that BB out of the hand. K8 vs a limper 4 handed is strong.

LDT

junkmail3
08-10-2005, 11:30 AM
You know. I've never been a big fan of the stop and go. I don't really like giving my opponents the chance to hit the flop with a hand that I currently have dominated.

But as I was sliding my slider all the way to the left I stopped. I thought, this is a horrible push. There is a good chance that BB has crap (just supposing), and if he hits mid/bottom pair, and I push he's not likely to call due to UTG still having to act.

So, I was pretty sure I could get to me and UTG still being heads up by the end anyway.

So, then I thought. If I push. UTG has to call T535 in a T1435 pot. I'd call that with almost anything. So, pushing was out for me.

So, now it's stop and go, or fold. Folding is fine, but I have to make a move with unknown holdings in the next two hands, likely to get called. (this is easy to decide if I do decide to fold).

So, the only analysis left is the stop and go. (I'm not too comfortable with the push at this point, already having one caller).

Stop and go. So, I can assume for ease of thought that BB will fold to any flop push (for the reasons above). Now all we have to think about is UTG, who has an average top stack.

If he calls without a hand and loses, he and I are in a race for 3rd place now. If he folds, he's still in a comfortable position to take 3rd. So, I'd say that he would need at least a pair to call my push.

Since there is T750 in the pot, my preflop call is giving me 4:1 to call, so I think I can call, planning on a stop and go if the board works out all right.

I think this board was beautiful. So I pushed.

(this is not definitive by any means, but mearly a mode for more discussion)

bennies
08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Could you maybe elaborate on why you like this board so much for stop 'n go?

Basically, I don't get it, but I have very little experience doing this. Actually I'm thinking the board can't get much worse. Utg will never put you on a J and rarely on 4 (why would you call preflop with a 4?). I think he'll call with any A or K, any PP, and of course any 4 or J. But maybe this is ok for you?

junkmail3
08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you maybe elaborate on why you like this board so much for stop 'n go?

Basically, I don't get it, but I have very little experience doing this. Actually I'm thinking the board can't get much worse. Utg will never put you on a J and rarely on 4 (why would you call preflop with a 4?). I think he'll call with any A or K, any PP, and of course any 4 or J. But maybe this is ok for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically because it doesn't have too many high cards, (which I would assume UTG has at least one card over a T, or a small pair), and the high card is paired which makes it less likely that he has that card.

Also, when I push, it can be read that I do have the J (though if someone pushed, I wouldn't put a high percentage chance on it, but I would consider it), and he can lay down a middle pair or over card easier.