PDA

View Full Version : What to do here...

jcmack13
08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm a 21 year old college student on summer break, living with a few friends in an apartment in New York. Mostly through my own laziness, I didn't get a job until halfway through the summer, to work as a waiter in a diner that was about to open. But then the diner had problems. The opening date kept getting pushed back and back until we received an e-mail sayiung it wouldn't open until September, when I would be back in school.

No real problem for me.

I've been making enough money playing poker to cover my rent and utilities and other living expenses. My mom was the one who really wanted me to get a job. I just wanted to hang out in my new apartment, play poker, and do whatever I wanted. Which I've been doing, and which is fantastic.

Here's the thing: I got a phone call from the diner. They got everything fixed, and they're opening ahead of schedule. Today, in fact, and they wanted me to come in. Too stunned to say anthing else, I said sure.

I'm fairly confident my hourly rate at poker is more than I can make working as a waiter at the diner. But, I also don't have enough saved *this second* to, say, cover expenses for the next 6 months. So running exceptionally bad right now would be, while not devastating, certainly uncomfortable. Running moderately bad would be fine, though.

My gf doesn't want me to take the job because she works days and I'd work nights at the diner and we wouldn't see each other.

I don't mind restaurant work. I kinda enjoy working with lots of kids my age. And there are other benefits that come from working with people and being on your feet as opposed to sitting on your ass in front of a monitor all day.

On the other hand, I am having the summer of. my. life. I love being my own boss and I'm making money.

But what is the responsible thing to do here? A little bit of sure money in a decent job that would inconvenience my summer and my relationships, or potentially much more money at poker and the summer of unrestricted freedom?

Thanks for reading.

utmt40
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
You only live once. I think you know where I am going with this so good luck.

XXXNoahXXX
08-10-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm 21 as well. People talk about this being the prime of our life. They're right. It sounds like your poker skills are good enough to make at least a summer living off of it, basically where I'm at. I play fulltime during the summer and part time during school year. I absolutely love it. As long as you play smart, manage your bankroll, and don't take any shots at higher limits before your ready, you'll be all set. In addition, this is the first post I've seen where the girlfriend actually wants you to not take a steady job and keep playing poker. Marry her. If you're question was about taking a year off from college or something like that, I'd be more skeptical, but I think you should go for it. This has been the best summer of my life. Not only has poker made me morte money than a real job, it gave my extra time to study for the LSATs, time to go the gym and get in the best shape of my life, had much more fun playing than working, spend time with friends...I think you've considered all these pros. Go for it, and let me know how you do.

08-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Ok im 24, and would love to take a shot at poker for money. One problem, I got 2 kids, wife, mortgage, car payment, etc. My rounders days are quite over, to be honest, the rounder days never existed for me.

And now im stuck playing 2/4 once or twice a month. You in school, really have no commitments, and best of all your GF wants you to play. I have to agree that you should take the shot over the summer. Its not like your quiting a job and taking a huge risk, your in college.

I say take the chance now and see how it goes. I would make sure you had enough cash on hand for at least 2 months of bills. And then a bank roll that is seperate.

Its gonna take good money management. And if needed you could work for this diner part time. maybe 10-20 hours a week. Then poker the rest. I say good luck to you and somedays wish i didnt have the family so I could take chances. Dont get me wrong I love my family, but somedays I feel I didnt live in my prime.

jcmack13
08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I went in and told them I had accepted another position in "online investing." I thanked them for hiring me, and walked out of the door a free and happy man.

illini43
08-10-2005, 08:15 PM
There will always be opportunities to work at restaraunts, etc. if poker takes a nosedive.

I agree that you should set aside $$ for the next couple of months for "utility" payments, rent, etc. just to be sure that you will be OK if you hit a downswing.

Good luck! Have fun and enjoy the 'prime of your life'!

Tailgunner
08-11-2005, 09:34 AM
The *responsible* thing would have been to take the job and security it provides... however at 35 I'd offer the same suggestion to go for it. You're living the glory days with a supportive partner and responsibility will force itself on you all too soon anyway. Play smart, and best of luck to ya /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SnglMaltScotch
08-11-2005, 11:30 AM
31 here. I would say go for it as well. If your summer job was going to assist you in further career plans, I would change my decision. But I doubt that is the case. The only condition that I would state is that you MUST!! MUST!! go back to school in the fall no matter how well poker treats you.