PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Bar Pricing

DavidC
08-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Hey guys,

I live in Ontario. In the last 3.5 years, the prices of chocolate bars has gone up from $0.87 to $1.09.

This is WAY bigger than general inflation, and affects me more than the initial increase in price would suggest, because of a 15% sales tax in Ontario: $1 -> $1.25

(Actually, I take that back, it's just a few percent difference.)

-----

Anyways, I like to eat a ton of chocolate bars (no, I don't have major acne, but my kidneys probably are worse for it). Maybe one a day or two a day at some points during my adolescent life.

Strangely enough, other than Candy, I eat fairly healthy...

The price of gum has risen to reflect the price of chocolate bars, about a year after the shift in chocolate bar prices.

Also, the price of those heart candies that they sell in a roll "love hearts?" has gone up in price from $0.35 to $1 during the same time. This has basically reflected a shift in marketting strategy for these candies rather than an increase in costs of production.

("Nerds" have gone from $0.35 to $0.69 or $0.87 during this time.)

Oy! Anyways, I'm starting to dread going to the convenience store, because I hate these prices.

I went to the gas station today, and I tried to buy a chocolate bar (Coffee Crisp, maple), and it came to like $1.71.

I said, "Whoah, is there an error in the pricing on this?"

He said no, replied that it was a special edition chocolate bar and was therefore being sold at a higher price.

I exchanged it, explaining, "Sorry, I don't collect chocolate bars."

Now, I play a fair bit of poker, so it's not like I can't afford these prices, but I just couldn't mentally justify paying $1.71 for a chocolate bar. I'd actually rather go get gourmet chocolate for like $7.50 rather than pay $1.71 for "common" chocolate.

Anyways, maybe I'm just getting old, like when your grandparents say that when they grew up cars cost a nickle or something. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone have any similar pricing / clerk stories they want to share?

RollaJ
08-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Commodity prices are way up the past 3 years.... Including Cocoa, Sugar and Crude(used in production and distirbution)

The Truth
08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Commodity prices are way up the past 3 years.... Including Cocoa, Sugar and Crude(used in production and distirbution)

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true, and look for the prices to stabilize at their current level.

IndieMatty
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry, did you use OY! in a post bitching about the price of candy?

TylerD
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Loc: I am a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, really?

daryn
08-10-2005, 11:53 AM
eating chocolate gives you acne = myth