PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm moving to Malta.

poker-penguin
08-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Got off the phone earlier today, and the company a friend of mine works for in Malta (I think they make software for some sort of online card game) want to hire me. The emplyoment package is pretty decent and Malta is apparantly super-nice.

So I accepted (I have to leave Canada in a month or two anyway). They want me to start asap (which pretty much means early September. So I'm outta Calgary in about three weeks. Time has flown.

But um, I'm moving to Malta and the thing that freaks me out is that I'm more or less committing to staying there for two years plus. Yes, that's the thing that worries me, more than moving 1/4 way round the world (*yawn* again), it's the NOT moving that bothers me.

So yeah, I'm pretty stoked, a real job in an industry I love for what seems to be a sweet company (one of the phone interview questions, I kid you not, was "do you drink beer?").

Um, anyone know anything about malta beyond where it is and that the Germans bombed the [censored] out of it in WW2?

Hell, anyone else even know that? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

miajag81
08-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Malta is a fabled land, famous for its abundant crosses and falcons.

poker-penguin
08-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Doh. Totally forgot about the falcons (and the small delightfully light chocolates for any English people).

That's 5 things I know about Malta now, my knowledge is expaning greatly.

zuluking
08-10-2005, 02:16 AM
I had the fortune of being stationed in Europe when I was in the service. See everything you can, and then see it again. I went throughout Europe and Africa during my 4 years there, never once coming back to the states. Go everywhere, then go there again.

Oh yea, and bang all the hot foreign chicks you can, and use protection!...especially in Africa.

jakethebake
08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
This looks like a good place to start. (http://www.visitmalta.com/)

samjjones
08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
I know they have a somewhat thriving film industry there. "Popeye" and "Troy" are two movies that filmed partly in Malta. From what I've seen, it looks like a beautiful place to live.

hoopsie44
08-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Curt Flood was once a bartender there.

Lazymeatball
08-10-2005, 09:57 AM
the dogs there are real pussies.

poker-penguin
08-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks jake (and the rest of you)

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting this to come through, but it did, so I got off the phone, emailled my parents, discussed it with my business partner, played some donkey kong country on snes, emailled my other relatives and friends, posted on OOT, went to google.

Yes, I agreed to emigrate to somewhere (else) foreign based on a friend's endorsement, the fact my uncle and aunt went there on holiday once, and a vague impression it's a nice place.

KDawgCometh
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
malta is beautiful, enjoy your time there, and take advantage of hooking up with as many european chicks as possible

Punker
08-10-2005, 01:29 PM
In 2002 I moved from Edmonton to a foreign country despite speaking little to none of the native language and knowing 2 people in the country (distant friends working in the company).

How good an experience it is for you is dependent heavily on you; living in Alberta is a pretty ethnically un-diverse experience, in a place with a very high standard of living.

You may want to ask for an escape clause in your contract; something whereby after 3 months, you have the opportunity to terminate the contract with no penalty, in case there's some particular thing you can't handle (weather, crime, missing mommy, whatever).

Also, and I can't stress this enough: get your non residence papers filed with Revenue Canada. Thats what prevents you from having to worry about your taxes while living overseas.

poker-penguin
08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your concern. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

I've lived a bunch of places, including in the fourth world (third world countries with no hope of improving), and travelled to a number more.

There's a 6 month get out of jail free card in the contract.

I'm not Canadian and I'm pretty sure my NZ taxes are sorted (no income in NZ = no taxes, we don't have imperialistic visions).

I'm actually more worried about having a real job after two years of self-employment as a real-time satistical analyst and working on ski hills.

Punker
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
"a real-time statistical analyst" - is this a euphimism for professional poker player? If so, I approve.

Best of luck with your move /images/graemlins/grin.gif

poker-penguin
08-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Uh pretty much yeah.

Thanks, Malta (and the job) sounds like it will be a lot of fun. My business is just getting interesting, so it sucks I have to cut back on that, but yah, I'm stoked.