PDA

View Full Version : Party 2/4 full vs. 3/6 full?

emartin762
08-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Sorry about this being asked frequently,
I started with $1200 and 4 tabled party 2/4 full ring games and made the 150 BB (in 1300 hands, great run of cards?) for the proper bankroll for 3/6 games. Any advice or suggestions on the transition or how the games will differ? Using poker tracker and playerview, and rated as an eagle if that helps anything.
Thanks

xLukex
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
3/6 full is a lot harder.

My honest suggestion would be to take the route of 1/2 6-max and begin to learn to play shorthanded. Don't start at .50/1--it's honestly a waste of time. The play is so horrendous I recommend skipping it as you won't learn a thing.

Once you beat 1/2 6max for say 3BB/100 after at least 10k hands, I then recommend moving up to 3/6 6max. After that you can either do 5/10 6max (have fun) or 5/10 full.

GL, and HF.

smb394
08-10-2005, 01:07 AM
If you're going to go the 6max route, $2-4 6max on Stars is not a bridge between the Party games.

$3-6 full is definitely harder to beat than $2-4. While still beatable, you will run into many more good players at this level. Generally tighter PF, and more aggressive.

emartin762
08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Well I would prefer to stick to full ring games, instead of a 6 max route, although I will definately try the suggestion of learning the 1/2 6 max in the future. would it make sense to keep beating the 2/4 full game, make it to 300 BB for 5/10 full if it has the same level of play as the 3/6?

Tk79
08-10-2005, 01:21 AM
I dont think the 3/6 and 5/10 have the same level of competition at all. I cant speak for the 2/4 as I, for the most part, skipped it.

pshabi
08-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Why do you say the Stars game is not a bridge? Typo?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to go the 6max route, $2-4 6max on Stars is not a bridge between the Party games.

$3-6 full is definitely harder to beat than $2-4. While still beatable, you will run into many more good players at this level. Generally tighter PF, and more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobbyi
08-10-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think the 3/6 and 5/10 have the same level of competition at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are talking to about the full games on party, the difference is not large, in my opinion.

M0n3y0nf1r3
08-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Well if i were you i would continue with the 2/4 full ring games rathering then moving up. After 30k hands or so on just my pt im rated a money bag and i have the br for the 3/6, but i feel my skill level isnt there yet. Instead of moving up limits so fast you could just increase your MTR. Currently i am playing 7 tables usually averaging a MTR of 6 or so. Once Im very confident in my game i will then move up to about 3 tables of 3/6 until i again feel comfortable to add more tables. But this is just the advice of one 2/4 grinder to another.
-Andrew

smb394
08-10-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say the Stars game is not a bridge? Typo?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was a typo. I originally had "not a bad jump between" and switched to "bridge." And forgot to delete "not: /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hybrid_11
08-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Honestly 2/4 full and 3/6 full games are substantially different. Ive been told, not sure if it can be vouged for but its one of the hardest transitions to make skill wise. I play 2/4 and 3/6 constantly and there really is a big difference between the two.
Since you admitted yourself that you caught a good run of cards in 2/4 might as well stick that out for awhile let your win rate even out and see how well your truly beating the game then take a couple cracks at 3/6.
By the way i never liked playing 6 max games but its clear that 6 max will be the way to go atleast with regards to online play so i would recommend trying to gain some experience with 6 max probably 1/2.

emartin762
08-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. Im gonna keep goin at the 2/4 for a while to see my stats level out over a greater amount of hands and then depending on where my bankroll is, go to 3/6 or 5/10 and see what happens.

2 questions for hybrid, can you describe any of the differences between the 2 limits, or mainly just more tight and agressive? and then why do you say that 6 max is the way to go online?

Wyers
08-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Im gonna keep goin at the 2/4 for a while to see my stats level out over a greater amount of hands

This is the correct answer. They WILL level out.

Maybe you're a brilliant player but most likely you had a run of great cards - don't let it go to your head. You shoudn't move up limits simply because you suddenly have the bankroll.

Almost anyone can pull off a nice run - this doesn't mean you have the skills necessary to move up limits. Continue to play at your current level until you are beating it consistently (and I'm talking about thousands of hands - perhaps tens of thousands) and continue to study and plug leaks.

You worked to build up your current roll - why blow it by moving up when you aren't ready?

pipster
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
My observation of 3/6 vs 2/4 and lower is that you will find a lot more tricky players (check raise, slow play, etc), Blind steals are actually an option as people will often fold around when you raise. Uncontested blinds are not unusual. Probably 60-70% of hands will not see the river, and when you do most people will have a hand of some kind.

You will get the exceptions to the rule... but for the most part if the hand gets to the river either someone was drawing (probably with proper odds) or 2 people had the same top pair and a kicker decides it.

Be careful of the reraise on the turn, they normally aren't kidding.

Hybrid_11
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
The above poster mentioned alot of what to expect

The main thing is the good to bad player ratio makes a pretty substantial change. I dont know why the extra dollar in BB makes a huge difference but your going to be at tables with atleast 5 solid players compared to maybe 2 or 3 at 2/4

3/6 is more tight aggresive, you can expect a bet on every round. It is a lot more trickier as you will find more check/raises and reraises. You will be put to the test.

And the main thing is you wont get paid off as much as you would at 2/4 with your good hands. You cant expect to be called down with ace high or a weak middle pair that often.

I think that covers most of the changes you will find. I mean the best way to discover is playing yourself. If you have a high enough roll that your willing to risk 50-100 BB at 3/6 then theres nothing wrong with taking a shot to gain experience but just make sure your willing to drop back down and not ruin your entire roll.

pipster
08-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Totally agree with the Tight/Aggressive and the 5 or so solid players at a table. I generally search for tables with 2-3 loose fish... so they will pay me off with my big hands. You also have to hide to your hands better, ie waiting till the turn to reraise, etc.

Of course if YOU are the trickier player, the check/raise option generally works... especially on the flop. I will very often find a position bet on the flop with a check thru on the turn when I flop a set or so... So don't count on it. Get your poker tracker, and PokerAce going and watch those aggression factors. Isolate and abuse the fish, etc....