PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses Help Please

kinger
08-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I know this is probably a lame question, but I need some help with my sunglasses purchase.

I wear regular glasses and contacts don't work for me. I want to get a pair of sunglasses that go completely over my regular glasses and cover the sides as well. That way no one can see my eyes from the side.

I think I saw Alan Goering(sp) wearing a pair like this on a TV event.

I have casually looked for them at the nearby mall and Walmart and this type is obviously not popular with the nonpoker playing crowd.

Can someone recommend a pair that they purchased from an online site? I don't want to buy a pair online unless it is recommended from someone. I figure if I buy them without seeing it first, the glasses will not end up being the best ones.

thanks!
kinger

TheMetetron
08-09-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is probably a lame question, but....

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have trusted your instinct.

Why the hell do you need sunglasses that go around your entire head?

ononimo
08-10-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wear regular glasses and contacts don't work for me. I want to get a pair of sunglasses that go completely over my regular glasses and cover the sides as well. That way no one can see my eyes from the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you mean these, i hope - for your sake - you're at least 65 years old. that's the only thing that makes wearing these halfway understandable (and even then ...):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/OccamsRazor/pz212b.jpg

kinger
08-10-2005, 12:26 AM
I think those will work. Now I have to figure out where to buy them.

tdp
08-10-2005, 12:32 AM
You're probably not going to get much help here because most folks on this forum don't think too highly of people the wear shades at low limit games.I hope they're not too harsh on you.
On the other hand,where and when do you play?

kinger
08-10-2005, 12:46 AM
I am not a low limit player, I play $100 NL tournaments online and have been in 3 WPT events. I am a winning poker player like most other people on 2+2. I never tried sunglasses before and wanted to give it a shot.

People can be harsh if they want, I know these glasses look lame, but I am not concerned with impressing anyone here.

I play in a home game and often look for tells and can be reasonable successful. Friends of mine in the home game have commented that I stare a little too much which is why I want to try glasses. If I can look for tells when people don't know I am looking then I might be even more successful.

I also play on the internet 90% of the time and have plans to play in WPT Foxwoods again this Nov. Since I don't play live as much, I do think that I also give off some tells. I know this is a weakness of mine which is why I'd like to try sunglasses before the event.

thanks,
kinger

balt999
08-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Just get the ones that clasp over your regular glasses...I don't think seeing the side of your eyes is going to give your opponent too much of an advantage..

Besides, the glasses you want are for old men with a lot of time on their hands..

Read my Blog about Poker and Life -- I'll try to entertain and enlighten.. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/balt999/)

TheMetetron
08-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Get prescription sunglasses if you must get something. I have a nice pair of Oakley's that do the job. Though I'm certainly not wearing that at hte poker table to hide my "tells".

08-10-2005, 12:55 AM
i love those shades the carterach glasses is that how u spell that, that what i wear and people get a kick out of it but i dont wear the shades to hide my eyes i wear them so people dont take me seriously and you will be suprised how well it works i think there funny but i recomend not geting them unless you really want to get made fun of real real bad

bobdibble
08-10-2005, 01:26 AM
http://www1.jsc.nasa.gov/dx/dx12/images/suit_tools/thumbnails/Helmet%20demo_JPG.jpg

PokerBob
08-10-2005, 02:15 AM
i recommend a welder's mask

08-10-2005, 04:26 AM
http://thumb.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/18/18,1112242966,3.jpg

Or maybe:

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/421fda1573920.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

The Goober
08-10-2005, 04:31 AM
You should definately do this. here's some (http://www.polarizedoptics.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25)

http://www.polarizedoptics.com/catalog/images/FCM950_PS.jpg

http://www.polarizedoptics.com/catalog/images/FDM-950_PS.jpg

cardcounter0
08-10-2005, 04:32 AM
I've found that sunglasses with a slight green tint work best when playing online.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jason_t
08-10-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a winning poker player like most other people on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your first was mistake.

TheMetetron
08-10-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are saying that most people on 2+2 aren't winners, which I agree with. Otherwise, I'm confused.

boondockst
08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I think you're referring to the glasses that old people get when they get eye surgery for cataracts or what not...Those glasses are to protect them from the sun, although I guess you might score some at a garage sale or eBay...

Eder
08-10-2005, 10:22 AM
You can get what you want at any construction safety supply joint....good quality stuff not crap like Home Depot etc sells. Should cost no more than ~$40 since us construction pigs refuse to pay extra for Italian names. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

steamboatin
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Spend a little of those winnings and get some prescription sunglasses. They make them you know, in many different styles and colors.

08-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Why do people have such an issue with the shades.

I have ALWAYS worn shades when I play live - and I usually play at lower limits.

I can recognize that it may be a bit of a poser move, but I definitely feel more comfortable with them on. For me, its just one thing I don't have to worry about - and I find that my eyes definitely express a lot about my emotional state, so I appreciate the protection.

Mackie
08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
You can get the same lens coating that these (http://www.pokerlenz.com) glasses use applied to perscription lenses. See the bottom of the faq page (http://www.pokerlenz.com/faq.html). It won't be cheap, though.

beetyjoose
08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need some help with my sunglasses purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are being sincere and genuinely asking for advice, but i just can't help but laugh when i read this thread.

I knew a guy in college who used to wear a pair of these when he smoked weed because the dormroom lights were "too harsh"

08-10-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need some help with my sunglasses purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are being sincere and genuinely asking for advice, but i just can't help but laugh when i read this thread.

I knew a guy in college who used to wear a pair of these when he smoked weed because the dormroom lights were "too harsh"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't because the Extreme Doritos were too extreme?

jason_t
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are saying that most people on 2+2 aren't winners, which I agree with. Otherwise, I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I am saying.

thejameser
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
i haven't read any of the other responses so i may duplicating one, but those glasses they give people after cataract surgery are pretty sweet and functional too!

PoorLawyer
08-10-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think those will work. Now I have to figure out where to buy them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to an early bird special and snatch them off someone's face.

21times20
08-10-2005, 02:27 PM
if anyone here has any experience getting prescription sunglasses, is it possible to get the nice color gradient fade you would find on a pair of designer sunglasses on your prescription lenses?

10-20Jerome
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
This has to be a joke right? What the glare off the computer screen is to much? If you do where these in Nov. and I see you I will belittle you on purpose. Not low limit, 100 dollar SNG......lol has to be a joke.

To the OP try EBAY they have everything /images/graemlins/cool.gif

skaboomizzy
08-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Clearly the only sunglasses suitable for soul-staring are the Phil Hellmuth Project99's available from Oakley.

kinger
08-10-2005, 03:58 PM
hey goober, thanks for the help, I ordered the blue ones.

To Hank, I totally agree with you. I admit that when I play live at Foxwoods, I feel like I give off tells with my eyes so by having glasses, it is one less thing that I need to worry about.

to most everyone else, I enjoyed the sarcastic comments, I knew they were coming, I am not out to impress you at the poker table, just take your money.

And Jerome, try to keep your ego in check at the poker table. I often find that the players who think they are better than everyone else are easiest to beat. If these work out for me, I'll wear them when I play in the Foxwoods WPT, Foxwoods NEPC, and Borgata. You may think 10,000 events are a joke, but to me, if I hide 1 tell a day, it is well worth it.

In reference to the prescription sunglasses, I have never been a sunglasses fan. So I wanted to try non prescription first and go from there.

10-20Jerome
08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
good luck in your new adventures with shades, did ebay have what you were looking for? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Oh man, I hope you are joking. That is hilarious. Doctors usually give those to you for free after an eye exam for dilated pupils.

08-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Anecdote time: Last weekend while playing 2-4, I was sitting at 1 and the guy sitting at 4, who had obviously learned everything he knew about poker from watching WPT on TV, was wearing mirrorshades. They reflected his hand nicely. I couldn't make out exact cards, but I could determine if the front card was an ace, a face card, high or low pips, and red or black. They were wraparounds, so I knew the guy at 2 could also see, and possibly 3 as well.

After twenty minutes, the guy had lost about $80 trying to be Gus Hansen, so I took pity on him and told him. The look on his face was worth not getting the rest of his chips. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

08-11-2005, 01:16 AM
They are the RayBan,Oakly and Spy cool sunglasses all wrapped into one for the 70+ crowd. I can get you a pair since my gramma's cataract surgery was a success.

You can most likely see these glasses on an old lady behind the wheel of an insanely large Caddy or Lincoln as she drives 45mph in the left lane with the left signal blinking for the last 6 miles. I know you have seen one of her clones, blue hair and all.

BTW, She sped up to 45MPH cause she is late for her weekly Kanasta game.

JimHammer
08-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Forget sunglasses. Get one of these. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2897367&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)