PDA

View Full Version : FPS PLEASE HELP (part 2 long-sorry)

cincy_kid24
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
I wanted to thank everybody who responded to my post about fancy play syn. from a few days ago. I wanted to thank dibeter(sp?)especially b/c his advice clarified a lot that should have already been obvious to me. I've been racking my brain about this for the past week and after reading a lot of your comments (all very helpful) i had some thougts of my own that I was hoping to get some feedback.

1. i identified why i had been stuck in this FPS mode, which is totally uncharacteristic of my game or personality. The FPS really came as a by-product to my own kind of competitive tendencies which has to be the biggest culprit for setting off tilt. For the time ive been a serious student of the game, past 3 years or so, i've always looked down on those players who play to impress themselves (or the people around them), you know? The decked-out, 20-something with sunglasses who talks during every hand just to let us know how a great poker mind works. I could never tell if these guys were new or just clueless, but anyway, ive taken my fair share of beats against these guys and ive realized my anger would always be directed toward the player when really his goal is the same as mine (or at least it should be). He didnt purposely spike that 2-3 outer, it wasnt anything personal but i would take it as personal and im now coming around to the fact that I need to work that out as a game fundamental.
2. thats how it started, I took a bad beat from one of these guys and then found ways in every single game after that to absolutely self-destruct. I think sub-consciously i wanted to self destruct, i wanted to tilt off money, if for nothing else to but to roll around in my own misery comiserating on teh fact that idiots like the bad beat guy win on miracles and i dont - I wanted to prove myself right. Hence I started raising 62o in ep, lol.
3. Working toward a solution I came up with a few mental footholds (which is how i understand things) the first thing I came up with was S.T.C. which stands for Stop, Think, Control (myself) that really helps me to steer away from bad decisions and helped to simplify my thinking especially on individual hands. Poker is very much counter-intuitive to rational human learning, what seems to be the obvious choice in any given situation or the "gut" feeling is a lot of times wrong, but sometimes it isnt thats why when faced with a decision I should always STC.
4. Another little mantra that i have been advocating to other players for years is, "We play poker to make good decisions." and if you want add, "and we play one hand at a time." thats something i have caught myself muttering to myself when im 4 hours into a tourney or 6 hours into a session and it helps, it really strips away a lot of the clutter that can lead to FPS or just poor play because really poor play = poor decision making.
5. Another tidbit, and this is from Lou Krieger actually, is a quote he wrote a column about "We have met the enemy and he is us." and that's the best way to describe losing players if ive ever seen one. Dont beat yourself, its not the cards its not bad beats its you who has to wade through that mess to become an expert player, at least thats how i understand it.
Anyway, thanks again for the response and thanks in advance for responses to this one

SNOWBALL138
08-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm glad that you are giving this a lot of thought. However, I would not be so quick to think that you have it "figured out". This can lead to slacking off in the self-monitoring department. It can also lead to mega tilt like you can't imagine.
Read about that, and other great ideas in this celebrated post by Gigabet (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=182 5403&Forum=,,f22,,&Words=Almost%20there%20with%20s uccess%20and%20failure&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main= 1825403&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=18623&dater ange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post1825403)

Its sooooooo necessary that you stop now with this "I'm angry that he beat me" sort of attitude. Watch fight club. Is Edward Norton angry when Bob (w/ the boobs) beats the hell out of him? No. Thats how you have to think of poker, before, during, and after. Sometimes it feels like a brutal contest, and sometimes you are on the losing end of it, but you chose to fight, and so did your opponent. Nothing that happens (yes, even a runner-runner 2 outer) is unfair. You never deserve to win.

I also recommend that you read this post. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=171 4788&Forum=f22&Words=Fish&Searchpage=0&Limit=100&M ain=1710727&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=5278&da terange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&olderty pe=&bodyprev=#Post1714788)

It should give you a good idea of the attitude that you should try to have against other players.

Best regards,
Snowball

cincy_kid24
08-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Yes absolutley, I think you hit on a good point. I'm aware that there is no figuring out, its not like on/off switch, what I think I was saying is that I'm aware there is a fundamental problem in my attitude toward the game that leads to FPS and my kill or be killed personality. It is something that constantly needs to monitored, like you say, if i were to trick myself into believing ive solved the problem forever I would stay in this rut forever. But i do beleive I have identified the base problem, the reasons why my play has suffered b/c of FPS and thats something right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

diebitter
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to thank dibeter(sp?)especially b/c his advice clarified a lot that should have already been obvious to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome, bud. You take care now, and do what I do when I find myself off-base with hand selection or post-flop, say to yourself 'stay on it!'. Take pride in 'staying on it'.

Now I do this, I never play two poor hands in a row, just the odd one when bored or just bin sucked out badly.