PDA

View Full Version : Traveling

12-06-2001, 12:56 PM
Coming februar, I'm coming to the States for 3 months of traveling. Me and a friend of mine will be travelling in a van and travel between LA and San Fransisco, and inward till the Rocky Mountains.

Any of you know spots we should see? Spots that are not known by most tourists? Beautiful routes away from the main highways? Keep in mind that we're traveling very low budget, and will mostly be sleeping in our van.

Thanks for any tips.

Regards

Oh BTW, what would be good places to buy a cheap van (can be second hand and very old; it only needs to drive ;-)? And what does an insurance costs approxiamately for 5 months?

12-06-2001, 04:07 PM
ya oughta travel east to mississippi too,,,gl

12-06-2001, 04:51 PM
There's so much stuff between the Pacific and the Rockies that nobody could list it all. Given the time of year you are going, weather will be a factor a lot of places. You might want to check out Southern Utah. The weather will be better earlier, but it's not exactly off the beaten path. If you are going to get a cheap car when you are here, I would highly recommend joining AAA (American Automobile Association.). You will want to get AAA+ membership, because if you are driving off the beaten path you want the towing coverage to get you to the next town. I think the cost is $75 for a year, and probably just one of you needs to join. My wife got towed 80 miles with it once, so using it once will pay for more than a year. AAA will also have a lot of maps and ideas for the trip. I don't know how insurance would work for a visitor. Check some insurance companies out on the web. I bet AAA could help with insurance too.

A lot depends on what you like to do and want to see. Where are you coming from BTW? I read a slightly bizarre article once that a lot of Europeans, particularly Germans, love Death Valley and flock to it. That will be a relatively easy jaunt if you're going to be in Los Angeles and I presume Las Vegas.

12-06-2001, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your advice.

I'm from the Netherlands, and ofcourse I will be in Vegas for some time!

I've heard about the AAA, and will surely become a member.

Death Valley seems a cool place to go, along with Grand Canyon, Yosemite Park, Rocky Mountains, Hoover Dam and the like.

After the USA we're going to travel through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and try to end in Panama. We would like to keep the van. But I've heard that having an American license plate could give some problems when in Mexico, because in the wrong neighbourhoods the locals will be somewhat hostile. Is this true or just a rumour? And do you know if it's possible to sell the van in a foreign country or should I just dump it in the ravine? /images/smile.gif

Thanks again

Regards

12-06-2001, 05:46 PM
We will consider it, but there's just too much to see in too little time!

Regards

12-06-2001, 06:24 PM
turn it into a boat and sail it home..gl

12-06-2001, 06:26 PM
A lot of the places you want to go will be fairly close to Las Vegas. Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and of course Hoover Dam. Check out Southern Utah, Zion National Park, Arches, etc... When you say you want to see the Rocky Mountains, what do you want to do? There's so much ground covered by that description. If you want to ski, there will be great spring skiing in Colorado and New Mexico, but that's often not good for the budget. The weather in the Rockies from February on will be a factor. Yellowstone would be great, but it is definitely winter during the times you're looking at.

I would not drive my car to Mexico. Maybe I am a chicken, and I don't want to sound like an ugly American, but I would not take it there. You need special insurance from Mexico I am pretty sure, and American auto policies don't cover you in Mexico. There is no legal system there you can rely on. I have heard some horror stories about Americans who bought property there who had it taken over by criminals who had law enforcement paid off. Of course, the officials would take bribes from the Americans too, but wouldn't make the drug trafficker guy leave. I have also heard of scams where people fake injuries in accidents with Americans there. I would not want to get caught up in legal difficulties in Mexico. A lot of people have great experiences there though, so I might just be too picky. But I would be careful.

I don't think you want to just abandon a vehicle. When you transfer a vehicle the key thing you want to do is end your liability for damage caused by it. Dumping it won't do that. I'd sell it to a junkyard for $10 before I just dumped it. So you want to get the title transferred and send any paperwork in you need to in order to show you don't own the vehicle anymore. I sound like a lawyer or something. You sound responsible, so do it the right way to avoid any difficulties. Follow the law in whatever jurisdiction you're in. I can barely figure out how to register my car where I live, so I really have no idea what you need to do in various foreign countries. I have seen legal problems caused by people who don't correctly transfer a vehicle. It can be a very bad experience.

12-06-2001, 07:04 PM
you change a car title into a boat title...guess i'll make an apt with your wife...lol..gl

12-06-2001, 07:08 PM

12-06-2001, 09:17 PM
dont ever use a heater in the van that will cause carbon monoxide or loss of oxygen. that goes for barbaque grills as they are a killer. if you do use heat there are a few propane ones that work but make sure you know which. and always leave enough of a vent open or you are dead.

i would buy an old pickup truck and put a cabover camper on it and then you can at least live like a mole.

12-06-2001, 10:59 PM
We wont be using a heater or a barbeque grill or something like that. We will just bring enough clothes to ensure we will be warm. (remind we're young and reckless /images/wink.gif

I look forward to living like a mole, but can you give a few places where a mole with a van should go? From your posts it seems that you like natural phenomenons, just as I do. Can you gimme some offshore sites? Some good routes in the square LA-San Fransisco- Rocky Mountains?

Thanks

Regards

12-06-2001, 11:05 PM
"When you say you want to see the Rocky Mountains, what do you want to do? "

Maybe typical for our journey. I really dont know. For me; I just want to be impressed by the sight. It doesnt mind taking a few more days or a week or more.

"You need special insurance from Mexico I am pretty sure, and American auto policies don't cover you in Mexico. "

Thanks, didnt know that; very important point.

We're still considering whether to drive through Mexico or go by plane to Mexico City. Driving has been my first option, but I'll get more info on that. Thanks.

Regards

12-06-2001, 11:32 PM
if you have the time the coast hiway north of san fran up the oregon coast is fantastic. ill be doing it come jan.

its nice around lake tahoe away from the crowds.

there is a great road north of sacremento that takes you thru downeville, sierraville and over thru nevada city. but there isnt much night life there. maybe lots of snow and cold though.

south of reno i like the road 395 that goes thru lee vining ,mono lake. thats quiet and pretty.

the national parks everywhere you find them are the real gems in the u.s.a. utah has a few good ones. zion, arches,dinorsaur, for instance. and winter they are not much open or crowded.

expect cold and snow over the sierra mountains in the winter. many nights are minus ten degress f.-- highs in the day may only get to ten or twenty plus f.

once you head east 100 miles from san fran. you will be in a cold area of the country. winter time. good luck.

12-07-2001, 07:42 AM

12-07-2001, 02:34 PM
I don't like noise but if you don't mind snowmobiles it might be nice. Always the alternative of cross country skiing.

In the evenings wild low limit cardgames populated by young testosterone driven, alcohol fueled, and exhaust impaired snowmobilers.