PDA

View Full Version : poker essays clarification

thedorf
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
In one of the poker essays books (canīt remember which) mason talks about why a 15-30 game is so juicy and that good players can often times make as much if not more, with less risk than they could playing 20-40. In my experience this seems to be true but for as much as i try, I canīt figure out why. It seems that the blind structure ensures that there will, on average, be more people in every pot. Obviously, more people means bigger pots but intuitively it would seem like that would favor the WORSE players because theyīre constantly getting better odds on those junk hands they come in with pre-flop. Q-10 off UTG isnīt that bad of a hand if you know youīre getting 6 to 1. Fishy loves this hand whether heīs in a 15-30 or 20-40 game so why does he still get raked over the coals in the former game where the pre-flop value of that hand actually goes up, but not as much in the latter.

My guess is that the good players know how to attack the big pots post flop better than your average sea bass but it seems that mason would have said at least that when discussing the game in the book rather than just saying something to the effect of "thereīs not enough room in this chapter to discuss why the 15-30....." by the way, itīs just a hunch but I think a discussion of this issue would also illuminate other poker concepts as well. It would actually work really well as a magazine article. Hint hint.

the dorf

PS Iīm cross listing this in general texas holdem, Books/publications and mid to high stakes holdem

Xhad
08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
-Game with 2 Fish and 8 sharks, the 8 sharks are dividing money from 2 people
-Game with 8 Fish and 2 sharks, the 2 sharks are dividing money from 8 people

There being more fish in the game helps the existing fish somewhat, but not as much as it benefits the sharks.