PDA

View Full Version : as much as stupid question threads annoy the bejeezus out of me...

Boris
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Attenion rocket scientists: My SUV has a rear spoiler. The spoiler is ass ugly and I want to remove it. I also have lots of horsepower and can easily go over 100mph. However I hardly ever drive faster than 80mph.

Is there a safety issue if I remove the spoiler? Will I really lose control of my rear end easier without the spoiler? I thought you had to be driving racecar fast for these things to have any noticeable effect.

gulebjorn
08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Attenion rocket scientists: My SUV has a rear spoiler. The spoiler is ass ugly and I want to remove it. I also have lots of horsepower and can easily go over 100mph. However I hardly ever drive faster than 80mph.

Is there a safety issue if I remove the spoiler? Will I really lose control of my rear end easier without the spoiler? I thought you had to be driving racecar fast for these things to have any noticeable effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

American SUV's have control over the rear end?

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't remove it! The spoiler is the only thing keeping you on the ground at 80 MPH!

wacki
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you had to be driving racecar fast for these things to have any noticeable effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

A significant effect can be felt at 25 mph. It's all about the angle/size of the spoiler. Odds are yours is cosmetic. A picture of the spoiler is needed. Go to howstuffworks.com and you should probably be able to figure out how it works.

Boris
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Toyota biatch

kipin
08-09-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"LOL"

I'm sure the spoiler is purely cosmetic on your hog.

Boris
08-09-2005, 05:35 PM
i like this answer

Boris
08-09-2005, 05:39 PM
http://aftermarket-unlimited.com/shop/images/products/thumb_4runner-web.jpg

M2d
08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Boris,
you better start fishing the salt. How much longer are you going to be able to run to the sierras to fish, driving that thing?

Boris
08-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Bro I can't even catch a brown trout. I'd probably just poke my eye out if I hit the salt water with a fly rod.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Get rid of the thing if you don't like it. It's purely cosmetic. You might want to make sure you don't remove it in a way that would preclude you from putting it back on, though. You might not like how it looks without the spoiler and does it have a brake light on it? You might be required by law to have that light?

touchfaith
08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bro I can't even catch a brown trout. I'd probably just poke my eye out if I hit the salt water with a fly rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to that guy /images/graemlins/smirk.gif it's all about the Sierra's!

That truck (is it 4WD?) will get you everywhere you need to go up there...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5849/uppersardinecamp15tx.jpg

That pic was taken backcountry off a stretch of a 17-mile road that has has 37 lakes within 5 miles of it. Only 5 are reachable by pavement.

Salt....pffff /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Boris
08-09-2005, 06:02 PM
can't see the pic. plz post again.

touchfaith
08-09-2005, 06:03 PM
imagshack is half dead right now, took 3 mins to upload it (62kb)...it'll come back

In the mean time, here is another that prolly wont show up yet...

From a hike to above the lakes camped at in the other shot...

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/3808/upperandlowersardinelakes19sp.jpg

smokingrobot
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
the rear spoiler affects your drag coefficient im sure, not sure if thats the right term,.. but really if you're negotiating tight turns at 80mph, leave it alone, if you are on the highway doing 80, your rear end is not going to lift off.

a spoiler on an SUV is like getting rims for a computer.

EDIT: per patrick's adive, you'll need a new rear brake light.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're negotiating tight turns at 80mph, leave it alone

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to try negotiating tight turns at 80mph in that SUV, then you've got other things to worry about first before your cosmetic spoiler.

smokingrobot
08-09-2005, 06:28 PM
my car has a ridiculous spoiler as well. only once did i ever really feel like i was glad i had it when i swerved on the highway to avoid a deer at about 95mph. the spoiler pretty much gives your rear wheels more downforce, hence more rubber touching pavement, hence more traction.

if i didnt have the spoiler, i probably would have spun out and everything would've been ok still, or worst case i would've ended up in the ditch in the center of the hwy.

in other words, you dont really need. i dont really need mine either, its cosmetic.

the other day some stupid broad (aka ugly stripper outside of WaWa) asked me if it made my car faster, so i asked her if she graduated highschool.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't remove it! The spoiler is the only thing keeping you on the ground at 80 MPH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit people! I had this all set up. Why must you ruin the fun? Where's bad advice guy when you need him? He would've played along with me. /images/graemlins/mad.gif