PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right play here?

miajag81
08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Rundown of the story: I am sitting in my car earlier today in the Wendy's parking lot on my lunch break. I'm sitting there text messaging a couple people, reading the sports page, basically procrastinating till I have to go back to work.

Suddenly a large black SUV pulls up next to me really quickly and the driver hops out and runs inside. I see they have food in the car, so I figure they screwed up their drive thru order and he's running inside to get whatever they left out. Whatever. I go back to the newspaper. Also while the driver is inside, the passenger (a woman) starts throwing a bunch of miscellaneous litter out of her window (the side facing me). Looked like peanut shells (?), a tomato slice from her sandwich, a couple bits of paper. This catches my eye, so I look over again. I don't make eye contact with the woman but I notice there's another guy sitting in the back seat. Again, whatever. I go back to reading.

Anyway, the driver comes back out, gets in the car and pulls away. I notice though, that instead of leaving the parking lot, he turns around and parks behind me again (not blocking me in, just kind of perpendicular to the spot where he was just parked). He rolls down the window and starts yelling something that I can't hear because my windows are up. He looks pissed. I roll down my window to see what he's saying and it's "DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM???" I give him a baffled look and kind of shrug my shoulders at him. He then yells "THEN WHY THE F*** ARE YOU STARING AT US???" I never did anything that could have been considered "staring." I give another baffled look, say "Uh, sorry?" and roll my window back up and turn back to my newspaper. Fortunately he drives away.

Did I handle this correctly or was I a pussy? What would you guys have done? Keep in mind Mr. Testosterone was a good deal bigger than me and looked like he could fight. It just caught me so off guard I didn't even know how to react. I guess if he had gotten out of the car and started coming toward me I would have just peeled out of there. Advice on this type of situation?

gulebjorn
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm reaching for my shotgun here.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rundown of the story: I am sitting in my car earlier today in the Wendy's parking lot on my lunch break. I'm sitting there text messaging a couple people, reading the sports page, basically procrastinating till I have to go back to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading right there. It just made me too sad.

miajag81
08-09-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm reaching for my shotgun here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't own a gun, and even if I did I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have one in your car without a permit. I'm thinking about buying some mace or pepper spray though.

gulebjorn
08-09-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting there text messaging a couple people, reading the sports page, basically procrastinating

[/ QUOTE ]

procrastinating ... I don't speak english that well, but dude... in your car?

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have one in your car without a permit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends where you live.

miajag81
08-09-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's just forget the whole gun issue. My question is what I should have done in that scenario - no gun or weapon of any kind, big dude looking for a fight.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's just forget the whole gun issue. My question is what I should have done in that scenario - no gun or weapon of any kind, big dude looking for a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have text messaged your dad for help.

FouTight
08-09-2005, 05:34 PM
"I think you dropped something"

pointing at the litter...

either that, or totally ignore.

gulebjorn
08-09-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just get on your knees and beg them to kick you in the teeth?

siccjay
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as how I am halfway psycho, I would have done this.

I would have proably said what the [censored] are you talking about? Then had some smartass comment about the litter depending on what he said. I have a horseshoe under my carseat for these type of altercations.

miajag81
08-09-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, my life is pretty sad. I should stop text messaging friends and reading news articles and start making 800 worthless posts a day on a poker website.

BTW, isn't your birthday today or something?

08-09-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Suddenly a large black SUV pulls up next to me really quickly and the driver hops out and runs inside. I see they have food in the car, so I figure they screwed up their drive thru order and he's running inside to get whatever they left out. Whatever. I go back to the newspaper. Also while the driver is inside, the passenger (a woman) starts throwing a bunch of miscellaneous litter out of her window (the side facing me). Looked like peanut shells (?), a tomato slice from her sandwich, a couple bits of paper. This catches my eye, so I look over again. I don't make eye contact with the woman but I notice there's another guy sitting in the back seat. Again, whatever. I go back to reading.

Anyway, the driver comes back out, gets in the car and pulls away. I notice though, that instead of leaving the parking lot, he turns around and parks behind me again (not blocking me in, just kind of perpendicular to the spot where he was just parked). He rolls down the window and starts yelling something that I can't hear because my windows are up. He looks pissed. I roll down my window to see what he's saying and it's "DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM???" I give him a baffled look and kind of shrug my shoulders at him. He then yells "THEN WHY THE F*** ARE YOU STARING AT US???" I never did anything that could have been considered "staring." I give another baffled look, say "Uh, sorry?" and roll my window back up and turn back to my newspaper. Fortunately he drives away.

Did I handle this correctly or was I a pussy? What would you guys have done? Keep in mind Mr. Testosterone was a good deal bigger than me and looked like he could fight. It just caught me so off guard I didn't even know how to react. I guess if he had gotten out of the car and started coming toward me I would have just peeled out of there. Advice on this type of situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had something similar happen to me ...when after a round
of golf My friend and I were just getting ready to leave the parking lot when I took a bag of garbage from inside my car and threw it out. A golf course employee saw it and told me to pick it up. For a minute I was not sure what to do, but I finally picked it up as I knew I was in the wrong.
I was going to say you should have told him to pick up the trash, but some people will not admit when they are wrong and will challenge you. You probably did the right thing in this case given his brusque attitude. Plus he wasn't alone.

Or flip the guy off and get the hell out of there.

djoyce003
08-09-2005, 05:52 PM
if he got out wanting to fight, it's pretty easy. He's bigger than you, plus has friends, you put the car in reverse and start backing up...if his car is in the way, you ram the hell out of it. He's in the wrong here, you are acting in self defense IMO as two dudes bigger than you could be construed as potentially life threatening.

I have a 3/4 ton truck with huge bumpers and trailer hitches though so that SUV would seriously lose to me...if you are in a honda CRX you are in deep kimshi.

P.S. I live in texas so I also have a gun, if they got out and wanted a piece i'd congratulate them on bringing fists to a gunfight.

nothumb
08-09-2005, 06:06 PM
You handled it ok. I wouldn't even have rolled down the window if you didn't want to get into it with them. Pretend you can't see or hear him. If he doesn't go away, rethink.

NT

Shajen
08-09-2005, 06:15 PM
oh, the typical "looking for a fight" as long as I feel I can handle it type of dude and his "boys" huh?

It should be legal to shoot people like this.

You handled this fine.

shadow29
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting there text messaging a couple people, reading the sports page, basically procrastinating

[/ QUOTE ]

procrastinating ... I don't speak english that well, but dude... in your car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is serious.

Cuz if it isn't, it's not that funny.

But if it is, I'm in stitches.

Asufiji2004
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, my life is pretty sad. I should stop text messaging friends and reading news articles and start making 800 worthless posts a day on a poker website.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING!

You handled it fine. What are you gonna do get in a fight with 2 dudes cause some bitch littered? Screw that i'd rather enjoy my Wendy's sandwich.

miajag81
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, the typical "looking for a fight" as long as I feel I can handle it type of dude and his "boys" huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the guy. I was surprised to see him outside of his natural habitat of crowded bars in college towns.

miajag81
08-09-2005, 06:28 PM
It didn't even have anything to do with her littering; I didn't care about that. It was that he falsely accused me of staring at them for some reason and wanted to start a fight over it.

ILL34GL3
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Please post the ethnicity of these fools. I've had a similar run in with idiots like that.

I was in the express lane(10 items or less) with my girl and she counts our items and says "Oh no, we have eleven items." The mexicans(man and woman) in front of us have just put at least 18 items on the conveyor so I laugh and say something like, "It doesn't matter, they have about 18 items."

The woman gets this pissy look on her face and says something to her man and he just kind of chuckles. I notice as they're leaving the mexichick looks back and gives me the pissy look again.

So we check out and take our groceries out and the mexicans are backing out and I look at the chick as I walk past.

She says "What the [censored] joo lookin' at?!" So I nonchalantly walk in front of their car and raise my arms and shrug my shoulders like "what me worry?" and keep walking to my car.

Then the mexidude who's driving peels out and drives real fast right by me. Yeah real scary there guy. He was almost twice my size but didn't have the balls to confront me like a man. All he could muster was a lame display of aggression spinning his tires. If he'd wanted to fight, I would have stuck him with my Spyderco Police model. You can't go through life letting people treat you like [censored] just because you're afraid to take an ass whoopin'.

Close the borders already.

Indiana
08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
You made the wrong play going to Wendy's for lunch.

Indy

whiskeytown
08-09-2005, 06:46 PM
[censored] em -

they could have been stoned/high/drunk and looking for a fight - [censored] like that ain't worth getting killed for - if he was feeling up your Girlfriend, maybe, but I'd have let it go...

actually, I'd have probably told him to [censored] off and gotten his license number and reported him to the cops - and then ran when he chased me - but either way, ain't worth a fight with 3 guys...

RB

LeatherFace
08-09-2005, 06:53 PM
First I would fix his grammer, then tell him he should seriously consider killing himself, next call him a nit, tell him to stick it in his pooper I'll let his friend elaborate do you see why? then i'd top it all off by heading home and masturbating to my jessica alba wallpaper.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

miajag81
08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Adolf, but they were white.

Alobar
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I Think you played it perfectly. Who gives a [censored] if hes all pissed about something pointless and dumb, doesnt mean you have to respond in the same way. He wants to kick ure ass because you (supposedly)looked at him funny, and you realize this is obviously lame. So should you reply in anger and threaten him? IMO, thats just as lame.

(insert some wise david caradine Kung Fu quote here)

RacersEdge
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Him: "DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM???"

You, in your best Diniro, "You talking to me?"

Eegs
08-09-2005, 07:21 PM
total bitch move but better to be that and alive than keep it real and get ur ass kicked...

maxfisher
08-09-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hey man, you live to fight another day.. but in all seriousness what you did was fine. you don't have to even be a nihilist or pacifist sp? to know fighting would have been lose lose

Stellastarr
08-10-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw these F-tards. They probably killed themselves in a car accident 10 mins later.

tdarko
08-10-2005, 02:45 AM
you have to be careful who you stand up against.

i was driving on the tollroad in dallas and this guy won't let me in to get to my exit so i said "[censored] em'" and made my way. if he wasn't going to let me in after i tried for a 100 yards with a blinker then he will just have to move the [censored] out of the way.

well i pull into a gas station to fill up and i am in a very nice part of dallas so usually no worries. well this guy had followed me to the gas station. he gets out of his car screaming like a lunatic, i size him up and realize that this is no problem. i get out of my car and say "you got a problem?" he says, "yeah you need to learn how to drive motherfucker!" i say, "i am going to fill up with gas and if you haven't left i am going to break your [censored] jaw, you got that?" he says "ok."

i put the pump in the car and next thing you know it i look over and he's got a [censored]' pistol waved in the air. at this point i say, "you win brotha, i will take the next exit next time." at this point i am probably white and my legs are numb. he yells at me for what feels like an eternity (probably only like 10 seconds) and then gets in his car and drives off.

i sat in that gas station for like 20 minutes that day scared out of my mind.