PDA

View Full Version : 2 things that bother me about online poker (though I play it alot)

08-09-2005, 04:35 PM
1) As a lawyer, I am concerned that in most states gambling is simply illegal. Few exceptions. However, from the little research I did on this matter, there is little case law so far on playing internet poker. The law is mostly against operators, rather than gamblers.

2) Little if any regulation. I am the type who only plays roulette, blackjack, etc. in Nevada or NJ. They have the toughest gaming agencies in the country. They will confiscate a wheel/machine in a heartbeat and inspect it. At reservation/boats/etc, the gaming agencies are not as formidable. So, poker sites that are allowed to run around virtually unregulated are a bit suspect to me. True, a company based in Gibraltar doing business in the US falls under the long arm statutes of the relevant state, but enforcement means that the poker player has to take the site to court, etc. It's much better to have a gaming agency that takes cares of regulation day to day.

Anyways, I still play at PP like a fiend though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Petomane
08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
The lack of "official" regulation in online poker hasn't bothered me one bit. Sites like 2+2 (the poker community) keep it honest - if suddenly a lot of posters said that a certain site is not paying out, see how long they would last.
Also, software like PokerTracker, lets you see the distribution of cards over a period of time.
But I wouldn't play "against the house" games like blackjack, roulette or video poker online, not in a million years.
In fact I'm amazed how well the online poker works - it's easier to get your cash through Neteller than the 2-3 business days of official, regulated banks.