PDA

View Full Version : Who hates the grateful dead as much as I do?

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Personally I HATE the grateful dead. To my ears they are the most uninteresting, middle of the road, mediocre, boring band I've ever heard. Personally I couldn't be happier that they don't exist anymore.

To the deadhead nitwits that will say I have no musical taste, here are SOME of my favorite bands:

The Kinks, The Who, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee, The Stooges, Bowie, The Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash, The Damned, The Stones (through Some Girls),

Indiana
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I never understood how people could sit through one of their concerts. I mean "I will survive" has a SLIGHLY catchy tune the first time you hear it, but after the first listen it bores me to death. I dont get it.

Indy

Alobar
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I think the dead suck, but I honestly dont care enough about them to hate them, or even ponder why so many people like them. Lots of people like lots of stuff that suck, I just figure this is another one of those times.

hoopsie44
08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood how people could sit through one of their concerts. I mean "I will survive" has a SLIGHLY catchy tune the first time you hear it, but after the first listen it bores me to death. I dont get it.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

And a 25 minute live version is no better.

Boris
08-09-2005, 04:30 PM
no man you need to open your mind. I am NOT part of the deadhead subculture. only went to one concert and didn't have a good time. However, The Dead is a great band. Sure they maybe hung around too long and created a fanbase you might not like, but the music was mostly great and original.

Victor
08-09-2005, 04:32 PM
i will survive is probably their worst song.

Shajen
08-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Dude, if I went around making polls of everything I hated, I'd have 200,000 posts.

That said, I never got into the Dead, or Phish, or any of the other jam bands.

The weird thing, is I like Dave Matthews, and the 3 shows I've been to they've had jam sessions in the middle of a couple of their songs. I didn't mind.

Maybe I'm just a hypocrite.

astroglide
08-09-2005, 04:38 PM
i had to vote toward hate but i'm sure i haven't given them a fair shot. are you guys calling "touch of grey" "i will survive"? the only song i know of with that name is the disco one.

Victor
08-09-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you guys calling "touch of grey" "i will survive"?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea.....ur right the name is actually touch of grey.

moondogg
08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a minute to figure out what the hell you guys are talking about.

The song is "Touch of Grey", and has nothing to do with the 70's disco song. I think I've heard it referred to as "I will get by", but never "I will survive".

Yes, it was one of their worst songs. Most of the stuff they wrote in teh '80s was not very good, as it was too influenced by the times. I think it was an attempt to become more mainstream, and it worked; it was their first (and only I think) top 10 single.

I like the Dead, but I hate the few corny pop songs they play on the radio (Touch of Grey, Casey Jones, etc). In other words, I hate the same 5% of their music that you do, but I love the other 95% that you guys have probably never heard.

[censored]
08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the dead suck, but I honestly dont care enough about them to hate them, or even ponder why so many people like them. Lots of people like lots of stuff that suck, I just figure this is another one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, all of it.

Soul Daddy
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Not a fan, but I don't really care. Widespread Panic is much worse. I have nightmares about them, since they seem to follow me around.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I like them o.k. but i'm far from being a Deadhead.

superleeds
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I really hate them as much as Brian really really really hated the Romans.

ptmusic
08-09-2005, 05:24 PM
I FAR prefer some of the bands in the list of bands you like. But the Dead were still great in many ways.

The problem with them is that they have been recorded so much (probably more than any musical entity ever!) that there is a whole lot of garbage surrounding the greatness.

But I'd never take back the time I had at their shows; if you went with good people, it was always a blast.

And strictly from a songwriting perspective, there is some brilliance there; FAR better than any other jam band I know. That's why they'll always be better than Phish and DMB and Widespread Panic and ....

-ptmusic

whiskeytown
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
saw the dead play in '75 - 4 hrs

terrible song. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

seriously - I've never been close to a deadhead - never could understand any jam bands...

any band you need drugs to listen to is already half in the bag - lol - but if you need an excuse to get stoned and not shower and not work, the Dead was your band.

RB

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
despite their suckitude, they have this one song that is the funkiest song i have ever heard in my life. Not sure of the name, but god damn its funky!

Slow Play Ray
08-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Shakedown Street is pretty funky.

But I hate the Dead. F them.

whiskeytown
08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
It's not Greatful Dead, but I like the Jerry Garcia song Loser - (actually, he didn't write the lyrics either, and my fav. version is on Cracker's album...ah well) -

If I had a dollar for every Ace I have drawn
I could arm a town the size of Abiline -

cool poker line..

RB

Slow Play Ray
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not Greatful Dead, but I like the Jerry Garcia song Loser - (actually, he didn't write the lyrics either, and my fav. version is on Cracker's album...ah well) -

If I had a dollar for every Ace I have drawn
I could arm a town the size of Abiline -

cool poker line..

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry hardly wrote any of his own lyrics - Robert Hunter wrote them all.

Also, that song was indeed a part of The GRATEFUL Dead's repertoire.

Also, it's if I had a GUN for every ace I've drawn.

My favorite line is "All I am asking for is ten gold dollars - I could pay you back with one good hand"

Don't you just HATE Deadheads? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskeytown
08-09-2005, 07:44 PM
the version I thought I heard was dollar -

truth is I like that image better - LOL

RB

Slow Play Ray
08-09-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the version I thought I heard was dollar -

truth is I like that image better - LOL

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I definitely believe you - Jerry forgot a lot of lyrics.

BTW, in case anyone cares, today is the 10th birthday of his death.

Ice Man
08-09-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the stuff they wrote in teh '80s was not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The drugs were wearing off - both the audience and the band.

Also, once Loggins kicked it to the next level with "I'm Alright" and "Danger Zone" a lot of bands had to scramble to catch up. That is how we ended up with bands like Harold Faltermayer and Bobby McFerrin and songs like "We Built This City on Rock n' Roll."

It was too hard to duplicate the sound that the orginal K-man laid down.

sleight
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Cartman: Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

Cartman: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

Joshssj4
08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I can't see how you hate them, my friends love GD and they play it constantly, I don't like it so much but it's definately tolerable and at times relaxing. There is no way you can hate GD, you can dislike them but not hate man.

KDawgCometh
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its called touch of grey, and yeah, it was their worst song. I will survive is a disco hit by gloria gaynor

Slacker13
08-09-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who hates the grateful dead as much as I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me. I never understood the fascination.
I liked them even less when I banged a grateful dead chick one night and she had hairy armpits. By the time i noticed them it was too late, i had to keep going.

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the other 95% that you guys have probably never heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I have a number of friends who love the dead and on occasion have tried to show my how "incredible they really are" by playing some of the 95% that you refer too.
I DON'T GET IT! lol. It's still the most boring, mediocre, middle of the road, uninteresting music I've ever heard.

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
saw the dead play in '75 - 4 hrs

terrible song. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLOL

PokerBob
08-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't necessarily hate the music, but I hate everything that they have been associated with and all the jackasses that follow them around. If you want to get stoned, fine. Get stoned. Why do you need to use the Dead as an excuse? I wish they would have another show so I could crash a blimp into it.

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the stuff they wrote in teh '80s was not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The drugs were wearing off - both the audience and the band.

Also, once Loggins kicked it to the next level with "I'm Alright" and "Danger Zone" a lot of bands had to scramble to catch up. That is how we ended up with bands like Harold Faltermayer and Bobby McFerrin and songs like "We Built This City on Rock n' Roll."

It was too hard to duplicate the sound that the orginal K-man laid down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funniest post EVER. I'm still laughing. OMG. It hurts. Make it stop!!! ROTFLOL. OW! please, seriously.

I actually have a danger zone story for ya.

I'm driving to vegas with a couple of friends. The guy driving is a fire photographer. He takes pics of MAJOR fires in L.A. sells the pics to the L.A. Times and the like. A lot of his pics have made the front page. Anyhow, he puts on the soundtrack to Crimson Tide. I'm thinkin, ok, he's one of those soundtrack guys. You know the kind. they buy all the soundtracks and thats what they're into. Cool.
The music is very dramatic and intense. I ask him if this is what he listens to as he's driving into a big fire. He says "no way. you wanna here what I listen to when I'm driving up to the big fire and it's hot and I'm getting close?" I say "yeah, i'd love to". Without missing a beat he replaces the CT soundtrack and all of a sudden Danger Zone comes blasting out of the speakers. I had just taken a sip of water. Sprayed it all over the dash.
He then proceeded to play every horrid 80's song you could imagine. The theme to Flashdance, Fame, Beverly Hills Cop, The Top Gun soundtrack. You name it, He played it.

It was a long trip.