PDA

View Full Version : HATERS OF THE BAD BEAT POST - A SOLUTION

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 02:40 PM
It seems as though this site (and many others) are beset by an infestation of bad beat posts and the new and improved disguised bad beat posts that have become so popular as of late.

I say this as former offender myself.

After much thought and deliberation...(Alright, while I was drinking a beer last night) I came up with what I believe to be a viable solution to this increasingly annoying occurance.

We need a Bad Beat Forum - Have a bad beat story that you've just been dying to unleash on someone, this is place for it!! Many, I suspect will derive guilty pleasure in reading and posting in this new forum. And it should effectively end the equally annoying I hate bad beat Posts and the flame fest that so ensues.

ENOUGH I SAY!!!

That's all I have to say about that....

nrinker
08-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I dont see why anyone enjoys posting a bad beat in the first place. Why not just outlaw them? These type of posts don't help anyone get better.

4_2_it
08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't this put that Waaambulance guy out of business?

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
but at least they funnel them to less visible and less bothersome avenues.

noggindoc
08-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I vote for it not because I like the bad beat posts or I even want to read them, but because it serves a need. It is human nature to want to whine about misfortune. I say go for it.

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM
My own personal view is that many people get some sick pleasure in catching an offender in the act and roasting him ad nuaseum..enough so, that they actually look forward to the occurance..

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Part of being a poker player is having discipline and coping with beats, bad and otherwise. Why should a poker forum do something like having a bad beat forum which encourages lack of such discipline? Those forums just breed trolls and idiots who then spill over into strategy forums. Yuck.

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 03:16 PM
TWP, I certainly respect your opinion, however, I think it would clear up the other forums for legitimate use.

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian reads after 300 hands:
Volume put into the pot: 9%
Saw Flop: 11.5%
Aggression Factor: 3.8
Went to Showdown: 17%
Raised Preflop: 4%

$200 NL Party

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with As, Ah.
4 folds. Hero makes it $8. 2 folds. Button Calls. Blinds fold.

[Pot $19] Flop: 3h, Kd, 3d (2 players)
Hero bets $15. Button Calls.
[I put him on AK here. KK would have reraised preflop.]

[Pot $49] Turn: Qc (2 players)
Hero bets $40. Villian Calls.

[Pot $129] River: Js (2 players)
Hero bets $100. Villian goes all-in. Hero makes a crying call.

Results in white:
Results:
Villian has 4 of a kind, 3's.
Hero has 2 pair, Aces and 3's.
Final Pot: $418.90

If I had checked the river and he went all-in, would this be a clear fold? Thanks for your help guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need I Say More - Is this what we want to weed through in order to get to something of actual use?

theblitz
08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

$200 NL Party

Results in white:
Results:

If I had checked the river and he went all-in, would this be a clear fold? Thanks for your help guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need I Say More - Is this what we want to weed through in order to get to something of actual use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this a bad beat?
This is just plain bad play.
Hero must know he is beat when the J comes up.

Biggenx
08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

$200 NL Party

Results in white:
Results:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really think this is a legitamit post, i'd want to know if i could get away from that hand too. (he should have gotten away from it) Unless he's an idiot (he never said it was a bad beat) there's no way he considered this a bad beat.

wslee00
08-09-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Part of being a poker player is having discipline and coping with beats, bad and otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
perhaps part of a way someone can deal with the bad beats is having a forum to let it out...

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$200 NL Party

Results in white:
Results:

i really think this is a legitamit post, i'd want to know if i could get away from that hand too. (he should have gotten away from it) Unless he's an idiot (he never said it was a bad beat) there's no way he considered this a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This absolutely is a bad beat post, ableit disguised as a "How can I get away from this hand post".

The OP may not even consciously realize that the reason they are posting it is not for any possible discussion or informative purpose, but is instead a plea for sympathy...

But it is what it is....

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
It's not a bad beat. It's an overpair against a set which should have been avoidable. That is a serious discussion post. And it's not a bad beat in any way shape or form since the OP was never ahead post flop.

Niwa
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Being a regular at the bad beat forums would give you alot of good advice and certainly respect from the other posters.

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a bad beat. It's an overpair against a set which should have been avoidable. That is a serious discussion post. And it's not a bad beat in any way shape or form since the OP was never ahead post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, perhaps I was a bit hasty w/ my anaylsis. What you say may have merit.

However, A while back I posted an almost identical post, and it was explained to me that it was a bad beat post.

Additionally, is it possible that he played the hand correctly? I think it is arguable that it was correct for him to do so (according to TOP), I believe one of the concepts was calling bet on the end even if you are almost sure you are beaten if your pot odds + pott equity justify it.

I am I reading Skalnsky wrong here?

Jazza
08-09-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm all for discussion then, you check-fold the river? lead-fold the river?

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Check/call river if you must, but I would check/fold the river against this dude. He has a VPIP of 9. He's VERY unlikely to bet a hand that we beat on the river.

Jazza
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
oh, didn't see that VPIP

even so, you put him squarely on 33? KK?

intheflatfield
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, TWP, but what more can you say about it. You just summed up about all of the meaningful discussion that is possible w/ this hand in 2 & 1/2 sentences. I don't know what more there is to say about it. I think that was his point.

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Pretty much I think KK, 33, AA, and at the outside AdQd which he will check behind on the river. Not too many hands a rock calls a raise with and then calls all the way to the river. MAYBE AK, but if you check the river, he will check it behind.

Jazza
08-09-2005, 07:12 PM
AK makes sense to me, I don't see where in this hand he would let it go

33 makes sense

AA makes sense

KK doesn't make sense with the preflop limp, but possible i guess

given this hand range you wouldn't bet the river? i reckon he's more likely to pay off with AK than have 33/KK

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 07:42 PM
He didn't limp, he cold-called our raise on the BN. So KK is right there. And no, I don't really like betting the river. If we check/fold, we lose 0 more when behind and gain 0 more when ahead. If we bet/call we gain 100 when ahead (potentially) but lose, what was it?, 150-200 more when behind. So he has to have AK about twice as often as he has KK or 33. There is one combo of 33, 6 combos of KK, and 6 combos of AK. Also, I'm not even sure if he calls a raise with AK. This dude only plays 9% of hands. I have no idea what that means, but it very easily could mean that he plays nothing except a pocket pair to a raise.

Jazza
08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
okay, then it looks like our disagreement is KK, although this guy only plays 9% of hands, he still raises 4%, which is why i don't think he could have KK

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 08:04 PM
He raises 4%. So how many does he re-raise? Don't forget that this is a raised pot already (we opened).

Jazza
08-09-2005, 08:08 PM
re-raise preflop? i don't know..

i don't think i follow

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I think you're saying that he won't have KK here because he didn't raise preflop. But he is on the BN and we have already raised from MP. So when it comes to him, he has to either fold, call, or re-raise. He chooses to call. In my opinion, someone who only raises 4% of hands may very well flat call with KK on the BN. Therefore KK is IN his hand range.

Jazza
08-09-2005, 08:26 PM
i'm retarded, i thought he limped-called UTG (don't ask me how he then has position on us)

i take back all my statements

TheWorstPlayer
08-09-2005, 08:48 PM
OK, cool that's what I thought. I tried to point that out before... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jazza
08-09-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't limp, he cold-called our raise on the BN.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, somewhere in here you probably mentioned it /images/graemlins/blush.gif

xcrack999
08-09-2005, 11:51 PM
How about we make a bad-beat forum where you can only post but can't read the posts. It'll be a bottomless abyss where all the bad-beats get posted and disappear off the face of the earth. And as a side feature, the forum transmits a virus to anyone who posts there and their computer implodes. Yes... I think I'll suggest my idea to Mat Sklansky...