PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever folded KK preflop?

Toddy
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
The other night i had $60K in chips and was 6 out of 350 in a 1400 person tourney on stars. I have KK and raise (blinds are 3-600) to 1600, and one of the more aggressive players raises all in for 40K.. I think about it then call. He has AK and catches an ACE on the turn. I was down to about 15K and was out shortly after. If I won the hand I was 2nd in chips.

jeffraider
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey sweet bad beat post, bud! Awesome!

jba
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
only if I know he has AK

08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Where's that whambulance gimmick account when you need it?

DemonDeac
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
only if I know he has AKand an ace will come on the turn with no other kings on the board

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger15SB
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever folded KK preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

***** Hand History for Game 1894199330 *****
$50 NL Hold'em - Thursday, April 14, 15:28:09 EDT 2005
Table Table 36948 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Cumbrae ( $24.4 )
Seat 2: HovaHHH ( $74.2 )
Seat 4: Sponger ( $55.25 )
Seat 5: brandofo ( $81.05 )
Seat 6: JhonnyT ( $29.85 )
Seat 3: du_sheng ( $30.6 )
brandofo posts small blind [$0.25].
JhonnyT posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Sponger [ Kd Ks ]
Cumbrae raises [$1].
HovaHHH folds.
du_sheng folds.
Sponger did not respond in time.
Sponger folds.
brandofo folds.
JhonnyT calls [$0.5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, Ac, Kh ]
JhonnyT checks.
Cumbrae bets [$2].
JhonnyT folds.
Cumbrae does not show cards.
Cumbrae wins $4.15

jtr
08-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Awesome.

LIRob23
08-09-2005, 02:35 PM

baronzeus
08-09-2005, 02:36 PM
I fold KK preflop every time.

Hal 2000
08-09-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.pokersourceonline.com/images/poker_players/phil_hellmuth.jpg

A man obsessed with folding kings...

illegit
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone folded to button who RAISED TO $12
Villain reraised to $35
I rerasied to $90
Button folds. Villain immediatelly moves all in.
I think for a long time and fold face up with KK
He shows QQ, and I cry silently inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
Button-SB-BB dynamics are always interesting. I think it's clear SB has a strong hand, but I'd have to know the player very well in order to reduce his range to precisely AA. Without any extra info though, even if you give him a very narrow range of AA-QQ, AK, you still have a simple call.

LIRob23
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM

illegit
08-09-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a "simple call" The villain knows that I have a very strong hand QQ-AA OR AK when I reraise to $90. Keep in mind that for 1/2 nl we have very deep stacks both of us are crushing the table. When he pushes all in for $910 more
I couldn't believe he makes this move with anything besides AA (He wasn't a donk, and from the 3 hours I played with him he wasn't doing anything out of line just winning with the best hand each time). I guess I gave him to much respect but from the information I had and the stack sizes it was the right move.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain undoubtedly gives you credit for a strong hand. However when the action folds to the button who opens the action the play becomes essentially 3-handed. A raise from the button might be a steal, thus SB might be re-raising with less than normal. SB knows you know this and thus might believe you're re-raising with less than normal (though almost certainly with still a strong hand, but QQ is no slouch). KK is too strong 3-handed to fold preflop unless you have a VERY good reason to believe villain has AA, and "he's been playing pretty well" is not good enough reason. You thought it was totally impossible for SB to make this play w/ QQ, or AK? Why? Also, if villain had been playing just as well but only had $400 behind do you still fold?

In situations with deep stacks I believe there can arise circumstances where folding KK pf is almost certainly correct but I don't think this is one of them unless this is a player you had played with multiple times and had a solid read on.

AliasMrJones
08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
The only way you're getting me to fold KK preflop is to pry the cards from my cold, dead hands.

Artsemis
08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
lmao

jba
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a "simple call" The villain knows that I have a very strong hand QQ-AA OR AK when I reraise to $90. Keep in mind that for 1/2 nl we have very deep stacks both of us are crushing the table. When he pushes all in for $910 more
I couldn't believe he makes this move with anything besides AA (He wasn't a donk, and from the 3 hours I played with him he wasn't doing anything out of line just winning with the best hand each time). I guess I gave him to much respect but from the information I had and the stack sizes it was the right move.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad fold dude.

nolanfan34
08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
One of my first posts on 2+2 was about how I folded KK PF in a home tournament.

It was in the first round of the tournament, 1-2 blinds, and I opened to 10 in early position. Had like 2 cold-callers, and then another guy goes all-in. Folded back to me, and I took like 3 minutes before finally folding. I convinced myself that this guy was a "good player" and would only make that move with AA.

Plus, I really didn't want to be the first one knocked out.

So he gets some girl to call him, and they turn the cards over. Her, AQs, him....QQ. I was pissed until the case Queen fell on the river. Then I was convinced I made a great lucky laydown. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got flamed mercilessly when I posted this in the MTT forum. I still laugh thinking about that, what a n00b. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

08-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I have to say i like the fold. I've had a lot of bad beats, we all have, but i try to minimize them by keeping the following in mind; any individual hand is one in a million i will play, i'll have kings again, plenty of times, and i'll win with kings plenty of times. if you're that deep on a thousand dollar table, why risk it all on one hand that can and will get outdrawn on occasion?? if he'd been playing well, and playing good hands, i don't think it was a terrible fold at all. He could easily have had aces, and if you're that deep on a 1/2 table, i think it's better to bide your time, rather than go for a $900 score. i'd have done the same i think. still sucks he showed queens, but that could've beaten you too

IndieMatty
08-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Wait, what position were you in again? I mean EP this is an easy muck.

UATrewqaz
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
The THOUGHT of folding KK preflop flashed through my brain once... and I should have done it.

I'm late in the stages of a big live freeroll tourney (80 players started, we are down to 11, top 8 get prizes).

I'm about 3rd in chips, the guy who is 2nd in chips is at my table. This particular hand I'm UTG he's in the cutoff or thereabouts. Blinds are 2/4 K I'm sitting on about 70K, he's got maybe 85K.

I look down and see a lovely KK and raise to 20K, it folds around to him who pretty quickly and confidently moved all in. The manner in which he did it, which no hesitation and no fear screamed aces, I knew he had them, I went through it logically in my head and was like there is NO other possible hand he would ever make that move with (mostly weak/tight players left). I actually consider folding for a split second but can't bear to do it.

I VERY relunctly say verbatem "I call... and if you have aces ya got me" and his response, "I have aces"

No suck out, I go home.

Equal
08-09-2005, 06:04 PM
I almost laid down KK once in an MTT when UTG limped, I raised, LP re-raised, and the UTG pushed. EP limp-pushing is usually KK and AA. I almost folded - but I called anyway, he showed AA and I lost.

Altaslim
08-09-2005, 10:28 PM
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4827/worstep3ft.gif

mikeyworm
08-10-2005, 03:13 AM
yeah, i folded kings once online in one of the party million guaranteed tourneys. it was a terrible fold. so i got kings a little later and proceeded to lose to the same guy to whom i folded before. he had aces. then in the 2K NLHE at the WSOP i got kings was reraised and wanted to fold so bad but against my better judgement went all in and was beaten. he had aces. so the moral of the story is just fold them. they suck. oh, and as i was typing this my kings were beaten by dueces all-in preflop. not a bad beat post. just a warning to fold them every time. they can't win.

colson10
08-10-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of my first posts on 2+2 was about how I folded KK PF in a home tournament.

It was in the first round of the tournament, 1-2 blinds, and I opened to 10 in early position. Had like 2 cold-callers, and then another guy goes all-in. Folded back to me, and I took like 3 minutes before finally folding. I convinced myself that this guy was a "good player" and would only make that move with AA.

Plus, I really didn't want to be the first one knocked out.

So he gets some girl to call him, and they turn the cards over. Her, AQs, him....QQ. I was pissed until the case Queen fell on the river. Then I was convinced I made a great lucky laydown. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got flamed mercilessly when I posted this in the MTT forum. I still laugh thinking about that, what a n00b. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HA, awsome.

colson10

Jazza
08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
i had a $100 entry chip for a tourney, 1st place was an entry into some big tourney (Aruba maybe?) and i was busy so i got my bro-in-law to play it

he had KK, some one opened, he raised, it got raised all in behind him, opener called, so he folded

AK beat AQ with high card ace, he was forced all in preflop later with 77

i make fun of him for folding that KK at least once a week and will continue to do so

kasey2004
08-10-2005, 08:43 AM
I cant believe that people here can be that much against folding Kings preflop. I have folded Kings preflop on 2 occasions, correctly both times.

Its not impossible. I was playing .50/1 NL on Party and me and Villian had $200 both from solid play and he was a very solid player i raised in EP to $4 button made it $12, SB called and BB solid player with 200BBs PUSHED (button and SB had under $60 or so chips). and he showed AA vs. Buttons QQ.

The other time was in a satalite where i was all but guarenteed a seat in the $215 Sunday tourney for 500 FPPs and 2 people were all in ahead of me on the bubble.

Sure i have run into AA with KK plenty of times but with a read or situation its not that difficult to fold KK preflop IMO.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

wheelz
08-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Twice in NL cash games, I was right both times, booyah