PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Steroids Penalty

mwilli31
08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
From ESPN:
[ QUOTE ]
LONDON -- Argentine world No. 10 Guillermo Canas has been banned for two years for doping, the ATP said on Monday.

The baseliner was hit with the suspension from competition after he tested positive for the prohibited diuretic hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) at the ATP tournament in Acapulco, Mexico in February.

Canas must repay $276,070 in prize money and forfeit 525 singles and 95 doubles ranking points as part of the sanction. He will be eligible to return to competition on June 11, 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]
Baseball = 10 days
Tennis = 2 years
Anybody think there should be some consistency in the sports world regarding steroid policies/penalties?

The Armchair
08-09-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anybody think there should be some consistency in the sports world regarding steroid policies/penalties?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. Each sport is an individual economic universe, and just because one is either too harsh or too forgiving should not mean the others should follow suit.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they be consistent? Although I do agree baseball should be tougher.

lacticacid
08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
<
Baseball = 10 days
Tennis = 2 years
>

Most other sports are two years, Cycling and Track & Field are usually two years for most suspensions.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<
Baseball = 10 days
Tennis = 2 years
>

Most other sports are two years, Cycling and Track & Field are usually two years for most suspensions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about other sports? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mwilli31
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think policies should be the same across the board, but at least make them relatively close. Two years is ridiculous and 10 days is pathetic. A quarter of a million and 2 years off the tour is obviously costing Canas a lot of money, but 2 years away may well ruin his career. On the other hand, baseball players get a nice vacation and they're back making their millions in no time. Blows my mind.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think policies should be the same across the board, but at least make them relatively close. Two years is ridiculous and 10 days is pathetic. A quarter of a million and 2 years off the tour is obviously costing Canas a lot of money, but 2 years away may well ruin his career. On the other hand, baseball players get a nice vacation and they're back making their millions in no time. Blows my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say lifetime ban for anyone. It should ruin his career. Then if he cared about his career he wouldn't do it to begin with.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-09-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say lifetime ban for anyone. It should ruin his career. Then if he cared about his career he wouldn't do it to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. It could be argued that perhaps he wouldn't have a career anyway if he weren't taking steroids.