PDA

View Full Version : Free card river bluff

Zedd X
03-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Very tight/passive 8 handed $3/$6 online. I'm in the BB with 5c7c. Folds to the SB who calls.

Flop comes:
[Qc 4s 6c]

SB bets.
(SB I knew to be tight/passive who bluffs very rarely. I could not picture him bluffing at this somewhat vulnerable flop even headsup)

Turn:
[Kh]

SB checks, I check.

River:
[4c]

SB checks, I bet.

In your opinion do you think that this flop raise is a profitable play headsup against this type of opponent (if done occasionally)? If so, is it an automatic fold on the turn if you are reraised and/or the SB bets into you on the turn? Would you bet the turn if you fail to make your straight but a flush card hits?

All advice is welcome

ZManODS
03-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Im assuming you did raise on the flop (its not stated) which was a good idea. You said yourself that the SB hasnt really bluffed that much so he could have hit the Q and been afraid of his kicker. You bought yourself a free river card which could have made your hand or the best hand.

Zedd X
03-20-2003, 08:18 PM
ZManODS
yes, thanks for the correction....I did raise the flop but forgot to mention it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

That was exactly my thoughts about where the SB stood after the flop. Thanks for the advice!

Zedd X
03-21-2003, 02:17 AM
My hand as I recal was actually 57o not 5c7c as originally posted giving me only the straight draw on the flop which I raised (the flush card hitting the river was a pure bluff). Hope this makes more sense!

Sorry about the corrections...I am new to this forum plus I was very tired when I posted and in a near state or delerium...I think

elysium
03-21-2003, 02:43 AM
zed, you're heads up here. you've got more outs than the 86 red sox for crying out loud. you know you almost raised for value on the flop, although i'd like to think you raised to get the fold. but you weren't raising for a free card with that hand; those cards were too strong to allow that kind of non-sense. now, you have got to bet the turn here zed. what's going on? what are you thinking in other words? you gotta bet the turn. when he checks, you bet. let him raise, you'll call. and yes, i think you raised for a free card. what free card zed? you're not taking no free nothing from anyone here. you're going to bet, and your opponent is going to fold. if he doesn't you're going to bet again. there is no discussion here.

Zedd X
03-21-2003, 03:35 AM
Elesium,

you posted:

you're heads up here. you've got more outs than the 86 red sox for crying out loud.

I only have only 8 outs against top pair and 6 outs against a flush draw semibluff.... There is however 7 flush cards that will not make my straight with which I can use to validate a bluff (this is what imo makes the hand interesting). So how do you justify this raise being a value bet headsup? I want to learn more. Although I think you misunderstood me and the error in my original post threw you off. (please refer to the reply thread I posted entitled Correction!.