PDA

View Full Version : Stop and Go

08-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Can anyone discuss the plusses and minuses of the stop and go? When should it be used and when not, etc.... I've been using it recently with moderate succes. I'd like to see how others play it and make it work. Thanks.

reecelights
08-09-2005, 12:12 PM
FossilMan's Classic Post (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=184256&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

Degen
08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
+ in times when you'd repush PF but think there is a good shot you'd be called, you can SNG and win the pot when it figures to have not helped your opponent...ex, you put him on 22-77 and think he may call push, you call and flop is KT4, you bet out, he mucks his 66.

+ not an obvious steal, especially in the lower limits.

+ good way to vary your play

- risk of putting your opponent on wrong hand and burning chips

- huge risk of being overdone or done too often, this is a move to be used like tobasco sauce...only a little bit and only on certain dishes, sometimes

tshort
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- huge risk of being overdone or done too often, this is a move to be used like tobasco sauce...only a little bit and only on certain dishes, sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important point.

ldavidjm
08-09-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd avoid it at low limits all together. I've tried it a couple of times (i.e. I have Q9, big stack min raises my BB so I call). Flop comes something like A87 and I push, and he calls with K10o...

If they can't resist pressing that call button, you're much better off just avoiding the tricky plays and letting them call you down with King high when you've got the goods.

reecelights
08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Q9 is not the type of hand you want to try it with as the play is not meant to be used as a stone-cold bluff. It is designed to be made with a lower pocket pair or with overs like AK/AQ into a player who you feel has a small/medium pocket pair and who will call a preflop raise.

You generally either want a made hand or chance of making your hand so that if you are called, you are not drawing completely dead.

reecelights
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Also check out these archived threads (thanks Shadow for your wonderful post with all the links)

When to use the Stop and Go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=720243&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

and

My First conscious use of the Stop and Go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=724160&page=4&view=co llapsed&sb=7&o=all&vc=1)

Runner Runner
08-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Playing a 20 on Party the other day I posted the big blind of T150 and I had only another T500 behind with Q4s. It was folded to the button who had T480. He min raises to T300. I think about pushing but just call. Flop is AJ6, I bet his last T180, he folds. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks.

spentrent
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
The most frequent spot where I find myself using a stop-and-go is 6-handed or less and I am in the BB, when a villain in LP min-raises preflop. I'll make this play if my stack size is such that I can call the min-raise then push at least half the pot on any flop.

I'm capable of doing this with any two 4-handed and less. Usually I want some showdown value if it's 5- or 6-handed.

Phill S
08-09-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also check out these archived threads (thanks Shadow for your wonderful post with all the links)

When to use the Stop and Go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=720243&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

and

My First conscious use of the Stop and Go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=724160&page=4&view=co llapsed&sb=7&o=all&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have the link, but citanul did one when stop and goes were the forum addiction a couple of months back. There was quite a lot of discussion after it regarding what makes a good stop and go.

Search his username in this forum - it had a title of "a stop and go i liked" if memory serves, "+stop +go" will suffice.

Phill

Pete H
08-10-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd avoid it at low limits all together. I've tried it a couple of times (i.e. I have Q9, big stack min raises my BB so I call). Flop comes something like A87 and I push, and he calls with K10o...

If they can't resist pressing that call button, you're much better off just avoiding the tricky plays and letting them call you down with King high when you've got the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I like this move at the lower limits is that I believe it has much more FE than just pushing preflop.

Pete H
08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Q9 is not the type of hand you want to try it with as the play is not meant to be used as a stone-cold bluff. It is designed to be made with a lower pocket pair or with overs like AK/AQ into a player who you feel has a small/medium pocket pair and who will call a preflop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 11/22 PP tourneys it's extremely profitable bluff if you pick your spots well.

If I think I have enough FE, I'll do it with any two.

Degen
08-10-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm capable of doing this with any two 4-handed and less

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and whenever it works, its best to show your hand and say YOINK!!! in the chat box.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm addicted to that line, really puts people on tilt.