PDA

View Full Version : When the hardest card in the deck to play comes on the turn...

durron597
08-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Villian was actually pretty solid here. I wasn't worried about him on the flop though, as much as I was worried about the combined worries of the Button limp, what such a small bet meant etc.

In retrospect this is an easy flop raise, but is there merit in discussing what to do on the turn given that I didn't raise the flop?

Edit: should have included buyin, $16 turbo.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1315)
UTG (t1480)
MP1 (t1100)
MP2 (t1680)
CO (t2700)
Button (t3915)
SB (t1310)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t100, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100, Button folds.

Turn: (t500) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

River: (t1100) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t810 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t810.

Final Pot: t2720

tigerite
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure I like the call on the river. On the turn you really have to define your hand and the only way to do this is to raise, and to raise, it pretty much has to be all-in. Horrible spot, but calling achieves nothing /images/graemlins/frown.gif

DyessMan89
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Hmm, this sounds like an ATo bad beat story in disguise. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyways, Id have raised on the flop, but since you didnt, raising the turn needs to be done.

Apathy
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I really don't think raising the flop is the best play, despite what you suggest in your post.

If you label this player as solid then I find it unlikely he would bet a flush draw into two opponents in an unraised pot. Perhaps he has A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif which I could see leading, I suppose, but I doubt this gets min bet.

The most important thing about this hand is make a turn decision. no shame in folding the best hand here if you REALLY feel he has to have the flush. I'm not convinced though, and I'm pushing. Calling down is not a good option here.

Apathy
08-09-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this sounds like an ATo bad beat story in disguise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a good thought for the villians hand as well, but I would think he has KQ if I saw the hand without any commentary.

08-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Yikes. Definatly a scary card, the no raise on the flop has put you in quite a predicament. Im pretty lost on how to correctly go about this.

I'd say because your playing at a low buy-in you should take it to the felt. Your probably ahead here enough times to make it profitable.

durron597
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The most important thing about this hand is make a turn decision. no shame in folding the best hand here if you REALLY feel he has to have the flush. I'm not convinced though, and I'm pushing. Calling down is not a good option here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you pushing? If he has a King I'm content to let him keep betting. I don't want him to fold Kx. Only reason to raise the turn is to fold the naked ace of hearts.

Apathy
08-09-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you pushing? If he has a King I'm content to let him keep betting. I don't want him to fold Kx. Only reason to raise the turn is to fold the naked ace of hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand you are up against that contains a heart has 11-14 outs. If that isn't reason enough I find it hard to believe that you are going to see a K or smaller two pair fold that has no bet into you twice OOP (and two people on the flop).

durron597
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you label this player as solid then I find it unlikely he would bet a flush draw into two opponents in an unraised pot. Perhaps he has A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif which I could see leading, I suppose, but I doubt this gets min bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't describe him as SOLID solid, more like $16 solid. If he bet the flop to try to see the turn cheaply with a flush draw isn't it worth it?

the_joker
08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd push the turn for the following reasons:

1) You don't have a heart.

2) The pot is already pretty big, so you wouldn't mind your opponent folding.