PDA

View Full Version : First time I did this - No Content Brag Post

JrJordan
08-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Villain is tight/passive and weak preflop. Post flop he turns into a tricky but solid aggressive player.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (3.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

Autopilot is officially off and I love the game so much more because of it.

nervous
08-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Did you put him on a turn check/raise with either an ace or a jack?

Against tricky players postflop, is the general idea to make it to showdown rather than worry about getting the most value from the hand?

TheMetetron
08-09-2005, 02:20 AM
It's just this board in particular.

Against tricky players post-flop, I personally raise the living shit out of them.

But here, he isn't going to call with many worse hands, may check-raise an ace, and can't much draw you out (unless he hits a 2 outer or he ran for a backdoor flush).

I still make this bet and take the free showdown a lot... I have to have a pretty solid read he is going to try to get funny with worse hands a lot. Looks like OP had that read.

JrJordan
08-09-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just this board in particular.

Against tricky players post-flop, I personally raise the living shit out of them.

But here, he isn't going to call with many worse hands, may check-raise an ace, and can't much draw you out (unless he hits a 2 outer or he ran for a backdoor flush).

I still make this bet and take the free showdown a lot... I have to have a pretty solid read he is going to try to get funny with worse hands a lot. Looks like OP had that read.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to appreciate without being at the table and having a good feel for this guy. His preflop play sucks, but is postflop play is somewhat similar to a solid 2+2 TAG. Not an ABC player, but doesn't make random bluff raises either unless he senses weakness.

This is the type of board where I'm either way ahead or way behind, and a bet on this turn has very little value. A higher A will call down, or possibly c/r me. A J is certainly going to find a raise in there somewhere. My kicker doesn't even play anymore on this turn, so I'm chopping against any lower A. The only way I lose value is from a lower PP that decides I'm full of crap on a very threatening board and wants to call down. This doesn't happen too often.

Checking here ensures I lose the least when I'm behind, and increases the chances of inducing a bluff or getting a weaker hand to call a river bet that wouldn't have otherwise (such as a low PP).

Against a more passive player that could call here with a gutshot, PP, or backdoor draw, then it's an easy value bet with a slightly tougher fold if c/r'ed. Against this guy I couldn't fold to a c/r, so a checkthrough seemed best.

Villain flips over a well played AA and I give myself a pat on the back.

TheMetetron
08-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Nicely played and your reasoning is spot on.

etizzle
08-09-2005, 03:18 AM
that is autopilot

Surfbullet
08-09-2005, 03:43 AM
nh. losing autopilot makes poker a blast again. holy hand-reading!

Surf

twankerr
08-09-2005, 03:46 AM
I hate calls on a paired flop like this when I have a weak kicker. So often I get raised on the turn and call down with absolutely no hope of winning. Check-check is fine, in fact I think this is more a HEPFAP type hand.

twankerr
08-09-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that is autopilot

[/ QUOTE ]

no, autopilot is going "gee I have an ace, and there is a second one on the board!!! BETT!!! BET!!!@#!@# OGMIMG DID I BeT YET!#?"

Surfbullet
08-09-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that is autopilot

[/ QUOTE ]

no, autopilot is going "gee I have an ace, and there is a second one on the board!!! BETT!!! BET!!!@#!@# OGMIMG DID I BeT YET!#?"

[/ QUOTE ]

lollerskates

Surf