PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping problems, what does the trick for you?

sirio11
08-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I have always had sleep problems, my mind seems to be always working, and rarely I consider myself rested after sleeping; what do you recomend to?

1) fall sleep
2) to get a good rest all night

Jeff W
08-08-2005, 11:11 PM
1. Go to bed and wake up at the same time.
2. Forego an alarm clock.
3. When you go to bed, focus on sleeping. Count your breaths.
4. Google "sleep hygiene."

augie00
08-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Self Hypnosis. Google it.

Soul Daddy
08-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I gave up and found a doctor who'd prescribe me Ambien. Good luck, insomnia is torture.

Rev. Good Will
08-08-2005, 11:18 PM
1 - pull the pork, punch the clown, stroke the salami, or whatever euphanism you crazy kids are using these days
2 - drink/smoke (whatever floats your boat)
3 - eat a large meal (optional if you're watching your weight)
4 - sleep

geormiet
08-08-2005, 11:22 PM
wake up at the same time every morning. Go to bed at the same time each night. Don't look at lights for the hour before you go to bed (includes computer monitors, bright indoor lights, tv). Just do something relaxing or read.

Great book: "the promise of sleep" by William (?) Dement.

shaniac
08-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Self medication.

Xanax works well to shut down my mind. I take a mild dose (I think my scrip is for .5 Mg, and I sometimes only take a half pill) every once in a while if my mind is particularly active.

Sonata is decent for putting you to sleep but I am a little dissapointed with its effectiveness and the hangover.

A glass of red wine usually has a soporific effect and they say it makes you live longer.

Experiment!

Matty
08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I had trouble sleeping for years, until I created an imaginary magical world that I fantasize about when I lay down for bed. I've probably got enough material for a book if I just wrote it all out. Weird yes, but it works.

miajag81
08-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Try earplugs and/or some sort of white noise generator. I used to be kept awake by the smallest noises without even realizing it. Wearing earplugs to bed has helped immensely.

lil_o
08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Exercise. I get my best sleep when I exercised about 4-6 hours before going to bed since I am exhausted from the workout. Don't exercise before going to bed, because it causes increased blood flow and adrenaline, thus making you awake.

Aytumious
08-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Valerian or Kava are great for insomnia. Wake up at the same time everyday and try to go to sleep around the same time. Try to get out into the sun everday for at least 30 minutes. Only use the bedroom for sleeping or [censored]; associate the room with relaxation.

soweak.
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid that you can pick up from a GNC for about $5. Helped me immensly.

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had trouble sleeping for years, until I created an imaginary magical world that I fantasize about when I lay down for bed. I've probably got enough material for a book if I just wrote it all out. Weird yes, but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has actually worked for me quite well in the past. Now it only works when I'm very tired.

CaptSensible
08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Funny I should run into this post today.
I couldn't get to sleep until 11 am this morning. Woke up at 6pm. My sleeping situation is a nightmare.
Usually I might get to sleep around 4-5 am but only sleep a few hours. I get so tired in the afternoon I have to take a nap which of course makes it impossible to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. Hopefully tonight I'll fall asleep at a better hour since i've had no nap.

What I need to do is force myself to not take a nap in the afternoon when I'm exausted.

Mucho sugar puts me out like a light. Unfortunatly it's not a healthy way to go to sleep.

I'm looking forward to reading and trying some of the methods listed in this thread.

handsome
08-09-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny I should run into this post today.
I couldn't get to sleep until 11 am this morning. Woke up at 6pm. My sleeping situation is a nightmare.
Usually I might get to sleep around 4-5 am but only sleep a few hours. I get so tired in the afternoon I have to take a nap which of course makes it impossible to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. Hopefully tonight I'll fall asleep at a better hour since i've had no nap.

What I need to do is force myself to not take a nap in the afternoon when I'm exausted.

Mucho sugar puts me out like a light. Unfortunatly it's not a healthy way to go to sleep.

I'm looking forward to reading and trying some of the methods listed in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been covered in a previous thread. You could have diabetes.

For the OP: Maybe get a better bed (Temperpedic or similar). Then drink chamomile tea or a warm glass of milk (haven't tried this myself but it supposedly works).