PDA

View Full Version : How does a kid learn to play razz?

08-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I am interested in learning to play razz and would like to find good reading material about the game. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know of a website that offers games of Razz or HORS?

Quicksilvre
08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
This is razz at FullTilt, as well as private HORSE tournies. I learned Razz from Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros, but it almost certainly isn't the best Razz book out there. Lots and lots of play will probably be your best teacher.

MarkGritter
08-08-2005, 11:19 PM
GamesGrid offers razz ring games as well, but I haven't seen a table running in quite some time. You can play it at the DC tables, though. FullTilt is probably a better bet.

Brian Yarger
08-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Sklansky on Poker has a good section on Razz.

maybedinero
08-09-2005, 07:43 AM
If you go for GamesGrid, you're more likely to find Razz at the Dealer's Choice tables--there's usually a $1/$2 table up and running at more popular time of day. It tends to be one of the regulars' worst games as well.

vist my blog: Maybedinero's Poker Blog (http://maybedinero.blogspot.com)

lighterjobs
08-09-2005, 04:09 PM
here's a quick tutorial on razz: linky (http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=3)

Tom Bayes
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Besides "Other Poker", which tends to draw those of us who enjoy the more obscure forms of poker, such as triple draw, draw, pineapple, and limit omaha high, you might want to check out the "Stud" forum, since Razz is a variation of stud.

Brian's right-Sklansky on Poker is THE must-have book on razz. McEvoy's Tournament Poker also has a chapter on Razz, but I don't think there's anything there you can't get from Sklansky.

SuperSystem 1 VERY briefly talks about razz. I haven't brought myself to get Hellmuth's book, so I don't know about it in terms of razz.

Burdzthewurd
08-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Play a lot of Stud 8 to start, just disregard the flush value and concentrate on the starting hands without pairs (hidden aces and a baby up is an ok hand to steal with if you are able to ante-steal with the bring-in and big cards left to act before you).

Iceman
08-09-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am interested in learning to play razz and would like to find good reading material about the game. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Sklansky on Poker" has the definitive chapter on limit razz.

For pot-limit razz (also called London Lowball), check out "Pot-Limit No-Limit Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.

Alex/Mugaaz
08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For pot-limit razz (also called London Lowball), check out "Pot-Limit No-Limit Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you're looking for people to play that against I suggest playing against yourself and roleplaying one of the players as a guy who like to play blind, because that's your best shot at finding a game.

Iceman
08-09-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you're looking for people to play that against I suggest playing against yourself and roleplaying one of the players as a guy who like to play blind, because that's your best shot at finding a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know of one London Lowball game in the entire world: the big game in the Victoria Club in London. It has a 1000 British pound buy in, and alternates between pot-limit London Lowball and pot-limit Omaha high.

That said, no-limit and pot-limit games of all types are far more common than they were even three years ago, both online and B&M, so I wouldn't be suprised if this game pops up somewhere. A lot of the smaller online sites go out of their way to offer games that no other sites have.