PDA

View Full Version : Can learning PLO help your NLHE game?

Stormwolf
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm wondering if the NL players found it helped somehow(hand reading, putting players on hands?) found that it helped their games. It does seem like a interesting game

joewatch
08-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I believe PLO helps you read boards quickly, but that's about it. Implied odds, aggression, and bluffing is much more important in NLHE than it is in PLO IMHO.

Toddster18
08-10-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if the NL players found it helped somehow(hand reading, putting players on hands?) found that it helped their games. It does seem like a interesting game

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe PLO helps a NL hold 'em player mainly in that a PLO player learns to instantaneously create every possibly drawing hand on the board in their mind.

Secondly, perhaps more importantly, PLO teaches a player a thing or two about "suckouts" and "having the best hand" - you can never feel too sure about your hand in PLO, and can't always expect to have the money coming your way on the river even if you shoved it in with a hand like top set. So I've found that i'm much more able to accept losing big pots to "bad beats" because I essentially expect them having essentially learned poker in PLO form.

-Todd

Saucy
08-10-2005, 08:36 AM
I think the two replies you've had so far help to indicate that the answer is 'very little'.

I think No Limit Hold 'Em is about reads and nerve, and its harder to put a decent player on a hand. PLO obviously rewards bluffing and aggression too, but is a more mathematical game where more decisions can be made with great confidence about what you are up against and what outs you have.

Personally, I feel all at sea when I move from one game to the other.

Hmm, I may just be rubbish at NLHE.