PDA

View Full Version : AKo in BB - TPTK now what?

Minh
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
I've been stuck in this situation many times. You raise with AK in EP, spike your K, then get some resistance by LP player. Unfortunately, in this case, I had no reads, Villain had just sat down.

Absolute $2 BB NL
Hero in the BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero has $430, Villain has $196.

Preflop: 5 callers, Hero raises to $16. Villain in LP calls.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Pot $40)

Hero bets out $35. Villain min-raises to $70. Hero....???

With no reads, what would you do? I figured my only choices were either raise or fold. If i called, I would have to call a huge turn bet. If i fold, would that seem too weak-tight?

vulturesrow
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Clear fold I think. Later on down the road maybe not. But an unknown is telling you that your beat, lay it down and pay close attention to that guy.

Los Feliz Slim
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
With no reads, fold. Minraise indicates monster here most of the time.

ravensfan
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
"If i called, I would have to call a huge turn bet"
If you don't put him on a set or a str8, isn't that a good thing?
I hate these hands too... Worse it when it's uncoordinated. AK, and K48 rainbow flop and he bets out crazy... Almost guaranteed a set... I'm still learning to fold these = )

ajmargarine
08-08-2005, 11:06 PM
I know it doesn't solve your problems here, but just check this badboy preflop from the BB.

vulturesrow
08-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Surely you jest?

ravensfan
08-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I'd reluctantly fold here too... But if his stack was say < $130 ish I'd really think about pushing.
Can't it be an advantage to be the new guy into the table for the exact reason that the above posters are saying u should fold? With no read, it might be a good time for him to bluff, and hitting "auto raise" might be a good reverse tell?
Problem is unless he's playing any 2, there's not too many hands u beat - KJ u lose, KQ u dominate and K10 u dominate, but those are still about 25% for villian.

Tough fold i think, but i'd have to let it go...

DoomSlice
08-08-2005, 11:22 PM
No, very hard to play a raised pot with AK out of position... as you'll see here.

Minh
08-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Result: To be honest, I few hands earlier at another site I had my pocket aces sucked out by a donk who called my huge reraise with AQs. He ended up catching a flush. Anyways, I was on slight tilt and wasn't thinking clearly.

I ended up reraising Villain all-in. He pondered and pondered, and called with about 2 seconds left. To my demise, he flipped over 99 for the flopped set and MHING.

Now that I have fully recovered from tilt, I analyzed the whole hand. With no read on Villain and also being OOP, I should have folded. There weren't any flush draws, and I don't think Villain would tango with a gut shot.

Posting the hand and getting advice from others definitely makes you feel a lot better inside. Hah, thanks again guys.

NYCNative
08-09-2005, 02:18 AM
The minraise is the classic sign of a set but I have seen donks make the same move with top pair and a worse kicker (usually with AQ when I have AK, though, so it would be less likely with the King on board).

Also, I never limp with AK.