PDA

View Full Version : War trash talk

M2d
03-19-2003, 04:55 PM
reading and re-reading Bush's speach, I can't help but think that his ultimatum to Saddam is a lot like Larry Bird's trash talk. As I recall, Larry Legend would tell whomever was unfortunate enough to be guarding him that night something along the lines of: "I'm gonna fake left, cross over, drive to the baseline and hit the jumper. And, there's nothing you can do to stop me!!"
Now, there's no way in GWB's right mind that he thought for one second that Saddam would just give up and comply, is there? So, his saying this (naming the time and place the attacks would begin) is akin to NBA trash talk, right?
No political comments from me here, but just an amusing connection that I (and probably only I) saw.

B-Man
03-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Larry was known to say things like that. Xavier McDaniel told a story, set sometime in the mid 1980s, in which the Celtics were trailing by a point with a few seconds left and called time out. When they walked back onto the court, Bird told Xavier McDaniel (who was guarding him) that he was going to get the inbounds pass and score with no time left to win the game, and that there was no way X could stop him. Of course, Bird got the ball, scored and won the game, just as he said (perhaps not as great an accomplishment as Ruth's alleged called shot, but still impressive).

I think GWB will probably be as successful in ridding Iraq of the tyrant as LJB was in defeating the Sonics.

MMMMMM
03-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Well...maybe it is a bit like trash talk, but can you think of any strategic reasons he might be saying it? Could there perhaps be a method to his "mouthing off";-)?

brad
03-19-2003, 06:46 PM
of course. hes tapping into peoples programming theyve learned from movies.

its a way for him to get support for the war without having any logical argument or debate.

Jimbo
03-19-2003, 06:48 PM
its a way for him to get support for the war without having any logical argument or debate. Oh, you mean like the anti-war democrats running for President?

MMMMMM
03-19-2003, 06:55 PM
That's an interesting perspective, brad.

I was thinking more along the lines of the effects it might have on his enemies--maybe even pushing some in the direction of surrender? Resistance, for Iraq, is futile. Stressing that fact may actually have a desirable effect on some Iraqi commanders.

brad
03-19-2003, 06:59 PM
very very doubtful.

militarily and stuff bush knows iraq is drawing dead anyway, the only trouble he has is at home. (and hes really already given up on allies and UN and stuff)

M2d
03-19-2003, 07:32 PM
at least Canada's got our back:

GOOD NEWS FOLKS!
From a reliable source I've just heard that Canada
has offered to help the U.S. in the war on terror!

They have pledged 2 battleships, 6000 troops and 10 fighter jets.

THE BAD NEWS.
With the current exchange rate, this comes out to
2 canoes, a Mountie and a couple of flying squirrels.

Clarkmeister
03-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Speaking of Larry Bird, did his hometown change its name to Freedom Lick?

J_V
03-19-2003, 07:54 PM
The best larry bird line was when he told his defender down 1 with three seconds left that he was gonna win the game from this spot, pointed at it....and did it.

M2d
03-19-2003, 08:00 PM
"Those guys from Freedom Lick are doofuses" -Woody Boyd

nope, just doesn't sound right.

andyfox
03-19-2003, 09:44 PM
"hes tapping into peoples programming theyve learned from movies."

I thought he was doing John Wayne; I alluded to this in my original 48HRS post ("pilgrim"). His father's original "read my lips" also was cinematic. Many of Ronald Reagan's actions were right out his movie scripts. See Ronald Reagan, the Movie and Other Episodes in Poliltical Demonology by Michael Rogin.

Pot-A
03-19-2003, 10:04 PM
I just wanna know if he was wearing cowboy boots when he told Saddam "you 'n your kin got 48 hours to get outta town"

MMMMMM
03-19-2003, 11:20 PM
I think that would have been an appropriate touch;-)

If the Euros want to deride us for being cowboys let them have some fun...and see that we mean business.

After we succeed in Iraq, maybe the cowboy image will become the new fashion rage in Europe.

John Cole
03-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Andy,

Rogin wrote an article in a literary journal a number of years ago about Bush's "read my lips" line. When asked why, after he was elected, he decided to raise taxes, Bush, quite candidly said that "read my lips" stuff was just campaign talk and walked away. Rogin's comment: "Read my hips."

John

andyfox
03-19-2003, 11:57 PM
The best retort I heard about the "read my lips" line was about what Bush said after those words. He said, "Read my lips. No new taxes."

My dad said, "Yeah, that's right, just more of the old ones."

nicky g
03-20-2003, 07:52 AM
"After we succeed in Iraq, maybe the cowboy image will become the new fashion rage in Europe. "

I'm sure Blair and Aznar have their hats and boots being made as we speak.

MMMMMM
03-20-2003, 12:58 PM
I'd like to see Chirac in cowboy boots and hat;-)