PDA

View Full Version : pants or pans

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:15 PM
listen to this, it's a short sound clip: puzzle? (http://www.kingofthebop.com/mp3/puzzle.mp3)

tell me what you think he says. thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:17 PM
why do i get the feeling the first votes that were for pants 2 seconds after i made this post didn't even listen to the sound clip ? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

you guys aren't helping !

Non_Comformist
08-08-2005, 08:18 PM
clearly pants.

gorie
[ QUOTE ]
clearly pants.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf.

DemonDeac
its pants cuz pants are like the river splitting in two

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
I was the first vote for pants. I listened to the clip. I heard pants.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, pans doesn't make sense.

kerssens
08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I didn't vote...I think its pants.

Non_Comformist
08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clearly pants.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying he is clearly saying pants and it is not even close. Does that help?

kerssens
08-08-2005, 08:21 PM
what is it from?

durron597
08-08-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clearly pants.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly pants.

Senor Cardgage
08-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I'll vote "pants", despite the fact that he clearly says "hands".

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
ok fine, i am an idiot and i'm sad now for getting it wrong.

i always thought it was pans (i still don't hear a "t" , but that explanation makes sense so i'll accept it), and some how it made sense to me in a confusing way. the part about it not making much sense is what i liked about it. haha. but i figure, as a puzzle, they can only go one way or the other, and it's the same either way. ugh ! i suck ! pants.

the meaning i took from it is completely different if he really says pants.

Senor Cardgage
08-08-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i always thought it was pans (i still don't hear a "t" , but that explanation makes sense so i'll accept it), and some how it made sense to me in a confusing way. the part about it not making much sense is what i liked about it. haha. but i figure, as a puzzle, they can only go one way or the other, and it's the same either way. ugh ! i suck ! pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still not pants.

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still not pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, he definitely doesn't say hands. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is it from?

[/ QUOTE ]
all the real girls

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait wait. but the river isn't splitting in two. it goes to the left. and it goes to the right.

what kind of weird pants are these ?

if the river is like a puzzle with pants, do the pants only have one leg and we are standing at the knee ?

mmbt0ne
08-08-2005, 08:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

wait wait. but the river isn't splitting in two. it goes to the left. and it goes to the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 river can't run in two direction gorie. It either goes

------&gt;

or

&lt;------

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 river can't run in two direction gorie. It either goes

------&gt;

or

&lt;------

[/ QUOTE ]

did you listen to the clip ?

'this river goes two ways...' is how it starts.

i'm not talking about the direction the water flows.

cbfair
08-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Sorry Gorie, I wanted it to be Pans, just cause it's such a humorous non-sequitor, but I think he said "pannnnnnnts". He draws out the N so much, you hardly notice the t.

"Like a puzzle with Pants" is still a non-sequitor, but I like pans better.

kerssens
08-08-2005, 08:45 PM
are they standing in the water?

Senor Cardgage
[ QUOTE ]
well, he definitely doesn't say hands. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands hands hands hands hands. I will fight you.

Alobar
huh? going to the right or going to the left doesnt mean its at 90 degree angles. You are standing at the crotch, one leg goes to the left, the other goes to the right.

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he is in the water, the dog is on land.

Lazymeatball
08-08-2005, 08:48 PM
I heard pans. Like in pots and pans. I just figure the idea of river water goes better with pans, something you use around water than pants. I guess I would need more context clues to further clarify.

kerssens
08-08-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's talking to a dog? dogs don't wear pants.

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
huh? going to the right or going to the left doesnt mean its at 90 degree angles. You are standing at the crotch, one leg goes to the left, the other goes to the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the pants thing , i'm just saying in the movie, the river isn't split in two like the pants. he's in the water and it's a straight river. so i'm not sure why it would be like a puzzle with pants for the reason of it 'branching into two like a pair of pants' because that's not what the river situation is.

[censored]
08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the pants thing , i'm just saying in the movie, the river isn't split in two like the pants. he's in the water and it's a straight river. so i'm not sure why it would be like a puzzle with pants for the reason of it 'branching into two like a pair of pants' because that's not what the river situation is.

[/ QUOTE ]

he is saying you can upstream or downstream.

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, when i played it 5 times in a row my boyfriend says "it's not like it matters , he's talking to a dog it doesn't have to make sense."

imported_anacardo
08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
It is absolutely "hands."

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Your OOT life has been a lie, gorie /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lazymeatball
08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
So why don't you just buy the DVD and watch it with subtitles on. Seems like the best solution to your problem. It's available on Amazon btw.

edit: just read the other thread where it says it doesn't have subtitles. Sometimes you can buy a script of the movie, but this is probably some small independant whackjob film that wouldn't offer that. In which case, just track down one of the actors and call him up, he's probably a waiter anyway.

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, when i played it 5 times in a row my boyfriend says "it's not like it matters , he's talking to a dog it doesn't have to make sense."

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, nice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gotcha about the pants thing and the splitting now, didnt know the set up behind it, just heard the clip.

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]
So why don't you just buy the DVD and watch it with subtitles on. Seems like the best solution to your problem. It's available on Amazon btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a winner

kerssens
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...its like when a card was sent around my office for somebody's one year old girl...everyone was saying "happy birthday" and stuff. I signed "goo goo ga ga". Like the baby is gonna read the card anyways.

gorie
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can clearly see him wording the "p" sound with his mouth if you watch the movie. i have no doubt the word starts with a "p".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omg i know, i have to level a new character now. i'm really sad.

Senor Cardgage
08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

gorie
08-08-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the DVD (it's one of my favorite movies), no english subtitles. !!
i tried the french and spanish subtitles and can't translate them to anything helpful.

"c'est un vrai cass-tete, finelment" french
"es como un acertijo si lo piensas" spanish

DemonDeac
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its like a riddle if you think about it? that doesnt make sense in relation to the english lyrics

Senor Cardgage
08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its like a riddle if you think about it? that doesnt make sense in relation to the english lyrics

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. They simply removed the "with..." part.

yellowjack
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Clicking that link would make it play on winamp. Then I would have to reload my playlist. I chose pants.

DemonDeac
08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well the "with pants" part is what this whole friggin thread is about, so its kind of important

kerssens
08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
how far into the movie is it?

gorie
08-08-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well the "with pants" part is what this whole friggin thread is about, so its kind of important

[/ QUOTE ]

if it is really "it's like a puzzle with pants, if you think about it" i think that would translate.

i still want to think it's pans, because that would make less sense (in a funny way) and would be harder to translate.

ugh, pans is so much better...

gorie
08-08-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how far into the movie is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

the last scene of the movie.

rwesty
08-08-2005, 09:31 PM
google got me this answer: hands

http://chud.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-60690.html

but that's just some guys opinion

kerssens
08-08-2005, 09:32 PM
does this make sense?...from the IMDB board

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pants. which makes sense because when he is askin' the dog to jump in the lake and swin he is essentially telling himself to jump back in the game. a girl is just a "puzzle in pants".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yugoslavian
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Gorie,

I hear 'pans' but process the meaning of the word as 'pants'.....

Like if I said 'I would like to invite you to the pans party' you'd know what I meant, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav
Oh snaps! I just realized (after reading down the thread) that this is from 'All the real girls' which I rented 5 minutes ago...hrrmm...I hope the movie is better than this one clip, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

gorie
08-08-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pants. which makes sense because when he is askin' the dog to jump in the lake and swin he is essentially telling himself to jump back in the game. a girl is just a "puzzle in pants".

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, it could make sense in a forced way.

KingOtter
08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
It certainly seems to be pants, but I fail to see the meaning.

He is talking to a dog... so maybe 'pants' like 'the dog panted in the summer heat'? Not that that makes any sense either.

KO

EliteNinja
From the clip, it definitely sounds like pans.

Maybe like pan means panning like a camera?

When I first saw your location message, I thought it refered to cooking.

kerssens
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, it makes sense in a forced way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could build a case for pans that could make sense too. At least you're not alone in not knowing what it says. I haven't seen the movie, maybe seeing it would help but that seems like a lot of work.

gorie
08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gorie,

I hear 'pans' but process the meaning of the word as 'pants'.....

Like if I said 'I would like to invite you to the pans party' you'd know what I meant, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav
Oh snaps! I just realized (after reading down the thread) that this is from 'All the real girls' which I rented 5 minutes ago...hrrmm...I hope the movie is better than this one clip, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a great movie, let me know what you think.

gorie
08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you could build a case for pans that could make sense too. At least you're not alone in not knowing what it says. I haven't seen the movie, maybe seeing it would help but that seems like a lot of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

my case for pans was simply the idea of trying to make a puzzle with pans. because this thought rules.

think about it.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and then you're like..

<font color="red">O- </font>
<font color="white">..</font> <font color="blue"> -O </font>

or

<font color="blue">O- </font>
<font color="white">..</font> <font color="red"> -O </font>

and then it is basically like

<font color="blue">O</font><font color="purple">-</font><font color="red">O </font>

like you might go one way or the other but either direction is really the same way so you shouldn't be afraid.

kerssens
08-08-2005, 09:55 PM
also some pans can fit inside of other pans..the combinations are endless. are there other quotes that don't make a lot of sense in the movie?

gorie
08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also some pans can fit inside of other pans..the combinations are endless. are there other quotes that don't make a lot of sense in the movie?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i thought about the other pan puzzle too, but i like mine better. this way you don't need multiple sizes. or maybe that is expected ?

hmm, not sure about other quotes from the movie, i can't think of any off hand. but it's definitely a movie that gets me thinking and feeling.

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 11:10 PM
i haven't read the thread, but i think it's pans. i have no context for the sound clip, but my theory is that it's two guys talking to each other while they're panning for gold in a river. hence, pans.

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first saw your location message, I thought it refered to cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always thought of the superpan skit from mr. show (http://www.unoriginal.com/mrshow/2_1.html)

gorie
08-08-2005, 11:25 PM
me: i need your opinion on something
person: wha
me wants to send file E:\puzzle.mp3.
me: "it's like a puzzle with ____________ if you think about it" , tell me what he says
person: pans

yes ! i feel a little less crazy now.

RacersEdge
08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
It sounds like it's from some kid's show.

gorie
08-08-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i know what it's from, that's not the question.

pants or pans, dude.

RacersEdge
08-08-2005, 11:37 PM
After I turned down the TV, it's pants.

The Yugoslavian
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i know what it's from, that's not the question.

pants or pans, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...after watching the movie and watching that scene like 12 times I was *positive* he says 'pans.' You can see him mouth the 'P' and no 'T' so it seemed to rule out both pants and hands.

HOWEVER, I watched the director's commentary for that scene and at the end the guy says 'you know, it's like a puzzle with hands' and it was clearly pronounced.

The thing that baffles me most is the scene doesn't make a lick of sense whether he says 'pans,' 'pants,' or 'hands.'

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

WTF?!?!?!

So now I think he actually says 'pans' but was supposed to say 'hands.' I still don't get the saying at all...'it's a puzzle with hands.' I didn't miss something earlier in the movie where they talk about puzzles and hands, did I?!

Oh well.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Yugoslav
PS It's *definitely* NOT 'pants.'

gorie
08-09-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...after watching the movie and watching that scene like 12 times I was *positive* he says 'pans.' You can see him mouth the 'P' and no 'T' so it seemed to rule out both pants and hands.

HOWEVER, I watched the director's commentary for that scene and at the end the guy says 'you know, it's like a puzzle with hands' and it was clearly pronounced.

The thing that baffles me most is the scene doesn't make a lick of sense whether he says 'pans,' 'pants,' or 'hands.'

WTF?!?!?!

So now I think he actually says 'pans' but was supposed to say 'hands.' I still don't get the saying at all...'it's a puzzle with hands.' I didn't miss something earlier in the movie where they talk about puzzles and hands, did I?!

Oh well.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Yugoslav
PS It's *definitely* NOT 'pants.'

[/ QUOTE ]

yay pans ! hm, interesting about the directors commentary, i guess i never listened to that. i'll have to check it out.

did you mean that scene doesn't make sense, or that specific dialogue doesn't make sense ? the scene definitely makes sense to me. i love it. maybe because i'm a land dog and i feel him speaking to me. arf.

The Yugoslavian
08-09-2005, 01:19 AM
The scene is fine...the one line though makes no sense to me at all /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

So you don't mind watching the water dog pass you by thinking, 'that's just a loser land dog'?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav

Klepton
08-09-2005, 02:21 AM
it's pants, explain why t f it would be pans

AsiaKurosawa
08-09-2005, 02:42 AM
i think a person could be a puzzle with pants, going this way and that way. so i think its pants.

(sorry)

Matty
08-09-2005, 02:59 AM
$10 says they made it as confusing as possible so people would talk about it.

ptmusic
08-09-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
listen to this, it's a short sound clip: puzzle? (http://www.kingofthebop.com/mp3/puzzle.mp3)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I GOT IT, I got it.

It's definitely "Pans". First of all, the southern drawl clues you in to "Pans": he would have pronounced the "t" distinctly with that accent (unless he's a really bad actor, which is possible).

More significantly, the meaning: Pans have handles, but you are never really sure which way each pan points - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD A PUZZLE WITH PANS! Imagine a jigsaw puzzle full of pans - some would go "that way"; some would go "that way", but you would have a very difficult time knowing which direction each pointed! And if you flipped the puzzle upside down, they would all be pointing the other direction.

-ptmusic

gorie
08-09-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I GOT IT, I got it.

It's definitely "Pans". First of all, the southern drawl clues you in to "Pans": he would have pronounced the "t" distinctly with that accent (unless he's a really bad actor, which is possible).

More significantly, the meaning: Pans have handles, but you are never really sure which way each pan points - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD A PUZZLE WITH PANS! Imagine a jigsaw puzzle full of pans - some would go "that way"; some would go "that way", but you would have a very difficult time knowing which direction each pointed! And if you flipped the puzzle upside down, they would all be pointing the other direction.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

yes ! a puzzle with pans ! i &lt;5 you.

lucas9000
08-09-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i &lt;5 you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThePokerGods
08-09-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tell me what you think he says.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, guys, wtf.

I listened to it just now, and there is absolutely no way he says the word 'pants'. How did so many people hear 'pants'?

The OOT mind works in mysterious ways =)

YourFoxyGrandma
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I didn't listen to it, but I did vote pants.

dtbog
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
all I hear is pans, people.

how the hell could he be saying pants?

I'm glad the origin of this has been explained. my life has regained order!

gorie
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i &lt;5 you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, like i &lt;3 you (i heart you) , but better... because it's a 5.

gorie
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't listen to it, but I did vote pants.

[/ QUOTE ]
evil.!

trying2learn
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
i haven't been this interested in something completely meaningless since yesterday in OOT.

EliteNinja
08-14-2005, 05:27 AM
I freakin knew it was pans!!!!

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 05:52 AM
im still sad that gorie is not 19. And possibly not female. Or male. Whichever......

peace

john nickle