PDA

View Full Version : Ripping on Bubble stallers

banditbdl
08-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Now when I play cash games or even tournaments, I wouldn't dream of verbally abusing the poor players in the game. Bubble stallers in MTTS on the other hand are another story...

The stalling is just such a pet peeve of mind I can't help but just start flinging crap at the stallers in the chatbox once it becomes clear they are going to be stalling each and every hand. Any problems with this mental weakness of mind from an EV point of few I should know about, or should I continue to chitter-chatter away.

slickpoppa
08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Stallers are sub-human retards. Fire at will

hotsauce615
08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I broke my mouse today out of anger in the same situation.

betgo
08-08-2005, 07:59 PM
I just make a note of it and steal their blinds.

sirio11
08-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I can't see how berating stallers advances your cause or helps you to improve your EV in the tournament, most of the time I think it is just a distraction to your game to care about things you can not control.

m bozeman
08-08-2005, 08:07 PM
It's aggravating, but keep in mind, with all the new players today, many of them may be trying to make the money for the first time. Just making the money is a huge accomplishment for them. I don't think going off on them in the chat box is appropriate; although stealing their blinds is a good idea, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KneeCo
08-08-2005, 08:40 PM
I hate it too.

My absolute favorite though is seeing someone stall while playing hand for hand. I've actually had this at my table a couple of times (20$ tourneys)

whiskeytown
08-08-2005, 10:02 PM
stalling near the bubble is a moronic angle play by amateurs...

stalling on the bubble in a HAND for HAND situation is a sigh of a complete [censored] moron - absolutely no brain cells whatsoever -

RB

Isura
08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stalling on the bubble in a HAND for HAND situation is a sigh of a complete [censored] moron - absolutely no brain cells whatsoever -

[/ QUOTE ]

Two guys at an empire $25 MTT were doing this yesterday. One had the 2nd biggest stack at the table, and other was average stacked. I will play there again.

balt999
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
It's a part of tournament poker, especially online...berating probably won't change anything. As far as EV, I think it'll only hurt if your below average stack where your forced to playing all-in poker after the bubble.

balt999 Poker Blog--have a look... (http://www.livejournal.com/users/balt999/)

betgo
08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Party "speed" tournaments, there are several people who do this, slowing the tournaments to a crawl. Party runs a lot of the tournament hand for hand to prevent stalling. I think they stall hand for hand as smaller stacks to equalize against the bigger stacks. That way the blinds get so big that everyone is about to get blinded out. I don't think this is a great strategy, but it isn't that moronic.

borlaK
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
when I first started I tried out a $3+R sat. to PS Sunday, it paid 60 or so and at around 120 people every single table started stalling.. being a newbie I had never seen this before and someone at my table started stalling and I was telling them to hurry up.. then he asked everyone else to stall

I guess you could say it put me on tilt and I lost my huge chiplead and ended up busting out

frustrated, I emailed pstars support and gave them my basic arguments: there aren't many tells in online poker but one of them is the time it takes to bet/call...it's not perfect, but no tells are. the second and obvious thing is that it is a kind of mass collusion. you are hurting the 'real' players by forcing the blinds up on them. and as evidenced by this thread it hurts real players by playing on their emotions.

betgo
08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when I first started I tried out a $3+R sat. to PS Sunday, it paid 60 or so and at around 120 people every single table started stalling.. being a newbie I had never seen this before and someone at my table started stalling and I was telling them to hurry up.. then he asked everyone else to stall

[/ QUOTE ]

In a supersatellite, this stalling may make sense. Again, I would use it as a tell that certain players are easy to steal from.

illegit
08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I've actually been able to break a few of them in my time with my insults. Then they play a hand and bust on the bubble and I laugh furiously.

pooh74
08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's aggravating, but keep in mind, with all the new players today, many of them may be trying to make the money for the first time. Just making the money is a huge accomplishment for them. I don't think going off on them in the chat box is appropriate; although stealing their blinds is a good idea, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It doesnt affect me at all...it only helps me be agressive where I should be, and this is a good thing.

wpr101
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I was stalling every hand in the 200k $215 buyin at party poker on saturday. I ended up getting 21st place. The jumps up in prizes were over a hundred and I was short stacked for awhile. I don't see anything wrong with this if it's going to get me an extra hundred. I was still playing the same way I would normally but stalling on every decision. I don't think it was so much of a tell because I was doing it every time and I was involved in some pots.

sammysusar
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I think everybody in the party speed tournaments stalls. The time I played the big blind was so large that it was bigger than the biggest stack in the tourney. Thus it seems the most optimal strategy is to avoid playing a hand because every single time a hand is played somebody is eliminated.
It would be better if they could cut the amount of time allowed per hand. But party does not seem very technologically sophisticated.

banditbdl
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind, with all the new players today, many of them may be trying to make the money for the first time. Just making the money is a huge accomplishment for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, I'll try to keep this in mind next time I feel like going off on a staller. Although if they are stalling during hand-for-hand play then all bets are off.