PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Restaurant Recommendation?

DeathDonkey
08-08-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm looking for the best restaurant in San Diego, I will be proposing to my girlfriend there. I don't know the area that well, any help is appreciated.

-DeathDonkey

morgan180
08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
what kind of food? how much do you want to spend? what part of san diego?

slickpoppa
08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Propose to her in a McDonalds. If she says yes, you'll know she is a keeper.

tworooks
08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Denny's

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I took my wife to La Valencia the night I proposed to her. It's a very nice place ($$$) and it's right on the La Jolla Cove - nice for a little walk before/after. The dining area is very small and semi-private. There's a nice little balcony you can go out on that overlooks the cove. The food is excellent.

I believe Nick Lachey took Jessica Simpson to the same hotel there on one of the episodes of their show. I'm not sure if the restaurant we went to was on the show - they have a more casual one down on the ground - you want the one up on the top floor.

DeathDonkey
08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what kind of food?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steakhouse or seafood probably.

[ QUOTE ]
how much do you want to spend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't expect to get out for less than a few hundred dollars but I have no expectations other than its a nice place.

[ QUOTE ]
what part of san diego?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter necessarily, near the water?

-DeathDonkey

ThisHo
08-08-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I took my wife to La Valencia the night I proposed to her. It's a very nice place ($$$) and it's right on the La Jolla Cove - nice for a little walk before/after. The dining area is very small and semi-private. There's a nice little balcony you can go out on that overlooks the cove. The food is excellent.

I believe Nick Lachey took Jessica Simpson to the same hotel there on one of the episodes of their show. I'm not sure if the restaurant we went to was on the show - they have a more casual one down on the ground - you want the one up on the top floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

First : Congrats!

Second : I've not eaten here, but have heard good things about it and the La Jolla area is definately an EXCELLENT area to walk around in the "just got engaged daze" afterward.

I'm trying to come up with other options for you and really can't come up with one better. There is a Ruth's Chris and there is a Donovan's, but neither is in a particularly romantic area. The Top of the Market on the harbor is pretty nice -- its sits on the harbor so you can see Coronado across the water, you can walk to the Gaslamp afterwards or along the waterfront, but I think LaJolla might be a better choice.

ThisHo

jason_t
08-08-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for the best restaurant in San Diego, I will be proposing to my girlfriend there. I don't know the area that well, any help is appreciated.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any San Diego restaurants, but I want to add to the likely chorus of "Congratulations."

Sponger15SB
08-08-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what part of san diego?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter necessarily, near the water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the restaurant that Patrick said then, along with several other resaurants near La Jolla Cove, all are pricey and romantic and have good views.

sakki
08-08-2005, 08:18 PM
George's at the cove (http://www.sandiegorestaurants.com/restaurant.cfm?res_id=41) in La Jolla.

Never been there myself but I've heard only positive reviews from my friends. It's a bit pricey, though.

morgan180
08-08-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great recommendation. george's at the cove is money as well. plus - if you could swing it - you can stay at la valencia - amazing rooms.

there are some really great restuarants down town but not near the water.

Mr. A's, Greystone for great steak/lobster downtown, and also Donovan's in La Jolla are great. Top of the Hyatt in downtown has great ocean views, but isn't really up there for food if you were looking to split up the night.

DeathDonkey
08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
This sounds great Patrick. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and congratulations.

-DeathDonkey

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh yeah and I forgot the congratulations - congrats! Good luck and let us know how it goes.