PDA

View Full Version : Online Deals

gibs
08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm looking for a new TV and I'm wondering if anybody knows of any sites that offer a coupon or discount code. Earlier this year someone posted a link to a site that offered $500 off a Dell Inspiron, which I found too good to pass up. I cannot remember the name of this site. If anyone could tell me any sites they know of that are offering a similar coupon for a TV it would be appreciated. I'm looking for an HDTV ready TV somewhere around 30 to 34". Thanks in advance for any responses.

gibs
08-09-2005, 06:53 PM
bump

rainman3000
08-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Try http://www.techbargains.com/

MrMon
08-10-2005, 12:06 AM
No codes here, but I bought an HDTV earlier this year. Yeah, I looked at all the cool LCD and plasma models and went with the boring old tube from Sony. Why? Bang for the buck. For $1500 to $1700 you get THE best picture you've ever seen on any TV, plasma, LCD or tube. That price difference alone makes it a throwaway after a few years compared to a plasma or LCD. (Comes in both 4:3 (36" KD-36XS955) and 16:9 (34" KD-34XS955) models, the 4:3 being cheaper, but both deliver the same size HD picture. I watch too much conventional TV to give up the larger screen size, so I got the 4:3.)

Only two drawbacks. One, the set weighs 200 pounds, so you aren't going to move it much once in place. And two, if you have poor source material, e.g. '70s sitcoms that were shot on videotape or overcompressed digital signals, it really shows up on this TV. But other than that, it is awesome. Broadcast HDTV looks better than DVDs on this puppy.

Both Best Buy and Circuit City carry it, so take a look before plunking down the $4k for the thin model.

AndysDaddy
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Are you serious? For under $2000 you get get a top of the line plasma set that beats any tube-based TV picture cold.
Link (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvprices/prices.php?man=Panasonic)

Smaller LCD screens can be had for less. Only if I were looking to stay under $800 or $900 would I consider CRT.

My two cents
--
Scott

MrMon
08-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Panasonic? Please.

No, the tube is better by far. Take a look at a high quality signal on both. The Sony tube will deliver blacker blacks, sharper lines, better color depth, and be viewable at all angles, all for less money. Don't be wowed by thinness. Plasma and LCD are getting better, but the best tubes still beat the best plasmas.

There's a reason the Sony tubes are the highest rated HDTVs on cNet. Again, take a look at the picture, not the profile. If you don't want the bulk, fine, but you simply can't beat the picture at this time, not at this price, and probably not at any price.

smoore
08-11-2005, 02:33 AM
fatwallet.com maybe?

stinkypete
08-11-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Panasonic? Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. you are clueless.

AndysDaddy
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Panasonic? Please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto that clueless comment above

[ QUOTE ]

No, the tube is better by far. Take a look at a high quality signal on both. The Sony tube will deliver blacker blacks, sharper lines, better color depth, and be viewable at all angles, all for less money. Don't be wowed by thinness. Plasma and LCD are getting better, but the best tubes still beat the best plasmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not wowed by thinness (but it *is* cool and convienient). Speaking only for plasma , viewing angle has never been an issue - you may be thinking of LCD here. Plasmas have the same field of view as tubes.

On the newest pannies, the black levels and line sharpness are now as good as any tube you can buy. Color depth and richness have blown away tubes for several years now.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason the Sony tubes are the highest rated HDTVs on cNet. Again, take a look at the picture, not the profile. If you don't want the bulk, fine, but you simply can't beat the picture at this time, not at this price, and probably not at any price.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also a reason the Panasonics are the highest rated plasmas. I have looked at the pictures, and IMHO there is no comparison. I'll take the plasma picture every time. The only thing going for the tube is the price - you can get a decent picture for about a thousand less than a Panasonic. But no way am I spending $1500 on a tube when I can get the incredible performance of a Panasonic plasma for $1800.
--
Scott