PDA

View Full Version : Wireless

08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Scenario:
Iam sitting in my living room and turn my computer on and its wireless software detects a signal from my neighbors wireless router. Does that signal have a right to be on my property?

trying2learn
08-08-2005, 05:50 PM
you are a strange soul bro.

you posted this in another thread, erased it, and read from the first reply how silly this thought is, AND THEN you made it into a poll?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't think this is a silly thought at all. It's an interesting question that I don't have a good answer for. I'm inclined to say that there's nothing wrong with him having his signal in your "airspace", but I can see an argument for this being a problem.

trying2learn
08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
you have SO many radio waves coming through your, "space" that aren't going anywhere. it's a problem you'll have to deal with.

Yeti
08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh, wait, I voted for them all.

hedxcold
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
fcc has regulated that spectrum of wavelengths (or whatever its called) for public use, so yes its legal for it to be there

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have SO many radio waves coming through your, "space" that aren't going anywhere. it's a problem you'll have to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, definitely. I agree completely. I'm just saying that I can imagine certain arguments for these kinds of things. In this exact instance, it's of course very very marginal, if even that.

SackUp
08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Wrap your house in tinfoil! Oh and do it by eating pop tarts.

Polltard!

If you do get your neighbors connection, the better question is "why are you paying for internet??"

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, definitely. I agree completely. I'm just saying that I can imagine certain arguments for these kinds of things. In this exact instance, it's of course very very marginal, if even that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say you technically do not own the airspace so you don't even have a right to complain /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say you technically do not own the airspace so you don't even have a right to complain /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's definitely an easy way to shoot it down. However, if these things ever progressed to the point where it was actually a nuissance, I don't see any difference between this and excessive noise regulations.

08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a silly thought at all. It's an interesting question that I don't have a good answer for. I'm inclined to say that there's nothing wrong with him having his signal in your "airspace", but I can see an argument for this being a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dude for the reasoned reply. I wouldn't have asked this question if I didn't think it was a good one. That other guy...screw him.

[censored]
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
and here I thought the manybeers thing was going to be a fresh start for you. but no, YOU SUCK.

08-08-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and here I thought the manybeers thing was going to be a fresh start for you. but no, YOU SUCK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly don't think that is a good question? I just don't think this is easy to answer .

trying2learn
08-08-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks dude for the reasoned reply. I wouldn't have asked this question if I didn't think it was a good one. That other guy...screw him.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry if i offended you...the problem is, it's not a good question.

i think you also came to this conclusion when you deleted it from the original thread you posted it in.

not trying to be a dick...

[censored]
08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly don't think that is a good question? I just don't think this is easy to answer .

[/ QUOTE ]

well I thought it was a very good question in the first thread on the subject.

Also when someone makes a checkbox option poll I expect them to acctually know how to.

08-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Just in case anybody cares I voted ...I don't know.

08-08-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry if i offended you...the problem is, it's not a good question.

i think you also came to this conclusion when you deleted it from the original thread you posted it in.

not trying to be a dick...

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, Your entitled to your opinion, thats what these forums are all about.

P.S. Apology accepted

08-08-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I thought it was a very good question in the first thread on the subject.

Also when someone makes a checkbox option poll I expect them to acctually know how to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. And this is my first poll so I may have stumbled some , hopefully practice will make perfect.

SackUp
08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a bad question b/c he is asking it for no reason. Why do you care if the wireless connection is in your house? If you can give us some background then it might be a legitimate question. Otherwise, there is no context and you might as well ask why half the people are allowed to post on 2+2 - no one knows, it just is.

But if you want a legitimate answer then here goes. The wireless is essentially an unregulated use. It is akin to walkie talkie use or private radio transmission. There may be some regulations that don't allow you to use the wireless in certain places, but I doubt there is any such restriction on wireless use in residential neighborhoods using products you can get from the store. All the regulation of this stuff is on the front end (i.e. on the manufacturer).

It would be too much of a hassle and possilby impossible to have wireless that can extend through a house and not to a neighbors. Maybe it can be done, but clearly not worth it unless there was really a problem, which we must assume there is not as of now as the product is allowed to be sold.

So in sum, you neighbor is allowed to have his wireless connection go into your house. And unless you could show a good reason for preventing it I don't know if you could even have restrictions placed on it.

08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a bad question b/c he is asking it for no reason. Why do you care if the wireless connection is in your house? If you can give us some background then it might be a legitimate question. Otherwise, there is no context and you might as well ask why half the people are allowed to post on 2+2 - no one knows, it just is.

But if you want a legitimate answer then here goes. The wireless is essentially an unregulated use. It is akin to walkie talkie use or private radio transmission. There may be some regulations that don't allow you to use the wireless in certain places, but I doubt there is any such restriction on wireless use in residential neighborhoods using products you can get from the store. All the regulation of this stuff is on the front end (i.e. on the manufacturer).

It would be too much of a hassle and possilby impossible to have wireless that can extend through a house and not to a neighbors. Maybe it can be done, but clearly not worth it unless there was really a problem, which we must assume there is not as of now as the product is allowed to be sold.

So in sum, you neighbor is allowed to have his wireless connection go into your house. And unless you could show a good reason for preventing it I don't know if you could even have restrictions placed on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not asking what is Legal , I am asking this question to be answered in the Moral sense. Philosophically so to speak.

TheWorstPlayer
08-08-2005, 06:29 PM
A more interesting question, IMO, is if you put up some sort of technology which blocked his wireless and nothing else. Could he force you to remove it? If he has a right for his waves to be in your house, why not? If he doesn't, why can he do it without asking you in the first place?

08-08-2005, 06:48 PM
For those wondering why I asked this question. I was going to respond in the other thread concerning wireless signals and then I just thought of this question and decided to make a poll.

As far as my position on wireless is if I am sitting in my living room and detect somebody else's unsecured network ...it is fair game. My network is secure.

Rockatansky
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A more interesting question, IMO, is if you put up some sort of technology which blocked his wireless and nothing else. Could he force you to remove it? If he has a right for his waves to be in your house, why not? If he doesn't, why can he do it without asking you in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP has suffered no injury that is cognizable at law, nor has his neighbor violated any law. The same is true if OP were to erect some sort of barrier around his property that prevented the wi-fi network from propagating through OP's property.

I think the reason why this is legal is for the same reason that we don't require that EMFs be contained - there may be some minute adverse effects from allowing them to "roam free", but it would be horribly inefficient to require that they be contained.

08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP has suffered no injury that is cognizable at law, nor has his neighbor violated any law. The same is true if OP were to erect some sort of barrier around his property that prevented the wi-fi network from propagating through OP's property.

I think the reason why this is legal is for the same reason that we don't require that EMFs be contained - there may be some minute adverse effects from allowing them to "roam free", but it would be horribly inefficient to require that they be contained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pose the same question to you as I posed in the my other post:

Suppose for some reason I am allergic to modern wireless router frequencies does my neighbors wireless signal have a right to invade my living room and possibly injure my well being? This could also interfere with my property in other possible ways that are detrimental to me.

rollingdirty
08-08-2005, 07:58 PM

MagicMan08
08-08-2005, 07:59 PM
I know one dude who downloaded some Pron off an unsecured wifi connection by jus driving around and searching on peoples computers for cool philes. ha ha ha

08-08-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In case you were wondering you do not own airspace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own the airspace contained within the walls of my property. Agreed?

rollingdirty
08-08-2005, 08:16 PM

The Truth
08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I like the question. It could have a potentially unexpected answer. It could also influence our daily lives based on government intervention, lawsuits etc.
You can control the distance to witch your signal will go.

08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In case you were wondering you do not own airspace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own the airspace contained within the walls of my property. Agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but no you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess thats the problem isn't it? And if I don't who does?

rollingdirty
08-08-2005, 08:30 PM

08-08-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think ownership is the word you are looking for here because how would you own it? The other problem is the FCC controls the usage i.e. radio stations etc.. If not everyone could just broadcast on whatever channel they want. [/quote

You said I don't own the airspace contained within the walls of my house right? Why don't you enter that space against my will and see who owns it. And this is not a personal attack on you, but merely an attempt to show that I have ownership of that airspace. Nobody short of brute government force may enter that space without my consent. So I think logically I do own that space contained within the walls of my home be that air or wood.]

rollingdirty
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM

08-08-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think ownership is the word you are looking for here because how would you own it? The other problem is the FCC controls the usage i.e. radio stations etc.. If not everyone could just broadcast on whatever channel they want. [/quote

You said I don't own the airspace contained within the walls of my house right? Why don't you enter that space against my will and see who owns it. And this is not a personal attack on you, but merely an attempt to show that I have ownership of that airspace. Nobody short of brute government force may enter that space without my consent. So I think logically I do own that space contained within the walls of my home be that air or wood.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude but no. Your logic is flawed. If i entered your property i would be trespassing on your land. If i shot my wireless frequency thru your house there is nothing you could do about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People can jam wireless signals you know.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 08:34 AM
You really should stop posting for awhile.

poker-penguin
08-09-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. And this is my first poll so I made a complete dog's breakfast of it, I will never make a poll again

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP