PDA

View Full Version : How many Grateful Dead shows did you see?

renodoc
08-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Jerry 10 years gone....

I saw 77

7/13/84 to May 1995

And I'm not talking about "The Dead" BS post-Jerry ripoff shows....

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
2...unfortunately i wasn't really born in time to get a real chance of seeing them, especially seeing them when they were kicking ass (i.e., the 60s and 70s).

Alobar
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
zero.

the grateful dead sucked

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
only 1 /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Boston Garden, Boston, MA (Saturday, 10/1/94)

Help on the Way ->
Slipknot! ->
Franklin's Tower
Walkin' Blues
Althea
Me & My Uncle ->
Big River
Tom Thumb's Blues
So Many Roads
Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias ->
Fire on the Mountain
Way to go Home
Saint of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Last Time ->
Stella Blue ->
One More Saturday Night

E: Liberty

*Edit* And of course they played Me & My Uncle - I hate that song.

Laomedon
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Zero, but I have 93 on disc. Listening to Gizah right now. The LSD is oozing from my speakers.

renodoc
08-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Pretty rare for Help>slip>frank and Scarlet>fire in the same show.

sfer
08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't remember.

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty rare for Help>slip>frank and Scarlet>fire in the same show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that now, unfortunately I was a total NOOB and did not appreciate it at the time...bah.

Los Feliz Slim
08-08-2005, 04:27 PM

07/02/03 Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO
Set I: Viola Lee Blues> Dupree's Diamond Blues> Mr. Charlie1, Twilight Time1 2 3, Tanqueray1> Little Red Rooster1> Turn On Your Lovelight
Set II: All Along the Watchtower> Fire on the Mountain> Drums> Space> He's Gone> Terrapin Station> Comes a Time> Terrapin Station> Help on the Way> Slipknot> Franklin's Tower
Encore: Johnny B. Goode

I slept through Space, I think.

Nigel
08-08-2005, 04:31 PM
7/02/03?

That doesn't count. Sadly, not the same.

Los Feliz Slim
08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

07/02/03 Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO
Set I: Viola Lee Blues> Dupree's Diamond Blues> Mr. Charlie1, Twilight Time1 2 3, Tanqueray1> Little Red Rooster1> Turn On Your Lovelight
Set II: All Along the Watchtower> Fire on the Mountain> Drums> Space> He's Gone> Terrapin Station> Comes a Time> Terrapin Station> Help on the Way> Slipknot> Franklin's Tower
Encore: Johnny B. Goode

I slept through Space, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, that's not right. Too much you-know-what back in the day. I think it was:

July 6th, 1995
Riverport Amphitheatre

Mississippi Half Step
Take Me To The River
Big Boss Man
Me And My Uncle
Big River
Brown Eyed Women
Cassidy
Eyes Of The World
Unbroken Chain
Samba In The Rain
Truckin
He's Gone
Drums
Space
Last Time
Stella Blue
Around And Around

kenberman
08-08-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
only 1 /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Boston Garden, Boston, MA (Saturday, 10/1/94)

Help on the Way ->
Slipknot! ->
Franklin's Tower
Walkin' Blues
Althea
Me & My Uncle ->
Big River
Tom Thumb's Blues
So Many Roads
Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias ->
Fire on the Mountain
Way to go Home
Saint of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Last Time ->
Stella Blue ->
One More Saturday Night

E: Liberty

*Edit* And of course they played Me & My Uncle - I hate that song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at that show too!

(I saw 12 shows I think)

Shajen
08-08-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
zero.

the grateful dead sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

smb394
08-08-2005, 04:55 PM
This is one reason why being born in the early 80s sucks.

The once and future king
08-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Probably alot but dont remember as my Dad was their tour manager when they toured Europe in the 70s. I went along but was about 4-5 and dont remeber any of it.

Then again, who does?

ptmusic
08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Ten. Plus, a Jerry Garcia Band show (his 50th birthday party). Mostly in the Northeast in the 80's, but a few shows out west too.

Every time was a real "event". Dancing girls in paisley tshirts.... Jerry getting a hot riff going and going... Phil actually singing lead.... Bob with an amusing talk to the crowd... people constantly offering me a piece of bread or a rose or a puff... yelling "I need a miracle" in the parking lot when you don't have tix... hacky sack... hell, just walking around the concession area behind the seats was always a fun time.

Not the best concert I've ever been to, but certainly the one I wanted to keep going back to.

-ptmusic

Indiana
08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

zero.

the grateful dead sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket Trips
08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
none but the death of Jerry Garcia probably kept me out of jail.

At the time of his death I had a "job" lined up to tour with the dead and sell Nitrous balloons

cbfair
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks for asking, I've often wondered with this crowd...

About 25 for me, including a handful of Garcia band shows.

Here's my first show...

07-18-90 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, In. (Wed)
1: Help> Slipknot> Franklin's, Minglewood, Easy To Love You, Peggy-O, Masterpiece, B. E. Women, Cassidy, Deal
2: China Cat> I Know You Rider> L. L. Rain, Terrapin> Jam> Drumz> Other One> Morning Dew E: The Weight

Help>Slip>Franklin's had been retired for about 6 years until a week before this show when they played it at JFK or Meadowlands, I forget which - this was only the second time they had played it so it was really special. Also, the Other One was insane, I've always said "it isn't the Other One until Phil says its the Other One" and man, did he say it loud and clear on this night.

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil actually singing lead....

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it's for "Box of Rain" this is generally NOT a good thing. I am still haunted by his rendition of "Terrapin Station" at the big Alpine Valley reunion show a few summers ago...yikes.

cbfair
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it's for "Box of Rain" this is generally NOT a good thing. I am still haunted by his rendition of "Terrapin Station" at the big Alpine Valley reunion show a few summers ago...yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, post-Jerry incarnations don't count. Phil rocks on Tom Thumbs Blues, Box of Rain, Broken Arrow and a small handful of other tunes. Gimme Some Lovin was a Phil/Brent duet for several years in the late eighties and is truly spectacular.

Great memory for me... A buddy of mine and I started a "We Want Phil" chant on 6-22-93 that lead to a great Tom Thumbs Blues.

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, post-Jerry incarnations don't count.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't count that or any other post-Jerry shows in my grand total of 1! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

adios
08-08-2005, 06:51 PM
5 times, first time in 1970 hehe.

Talk2BigSteve
08-08-2005, 07:07 PM
I saw them when I was 16 in London at Wembley, it was on Halloween 1990, I don't remember the set list but the Encore was a really cool version of Warewolves in London.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rockatansky
08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
zero.

the grateful dead sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

KDawgCometh
08-08-2005, 07:17 PM
unfortunetly I was onnly 15 when Jerry died. I didn't start going to shows until I was 17

renodoc
08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zero.

the grateful dead sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

The "zero" and the "sucked" seem to go together perfectly. You would understand if your N > 1... you still might not like them, or have seen a second show, but "sucked" would not be a descriptor.

NutzyClutz
08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
3 shows. Meadowlands area, Giant Stadium, Madison Square Garden. My older friends were lucky enough to see them at the small venue, Capital Theater Passaic NJ several times.

parappa
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Between 15 and 20. I haven't thought about it in years and am shocked I can't narrow it any further. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

CaptSensible
08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

zero.

the grateful dead sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
7/13/84

[/ QUOTE ]

one of my favorites. the scarlet > touch of grey > fire is the sickness.

gunt
08-08-2005, 11:25 PM
i saw the last show they played at boston garden in 95.... i couldn't stand the smell.

DarkForceRising
08-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Four. I saw one of the last shows at Soldiers' Field.

My second time seeing them was the best as the paper product was hitting on all 12 cylinders. End zone seats but a cool view of a lightning storm north of the Chicago skyline.

The next night (Sunday) they did Dark Star but after tripping the previous evening I didn't get off and as a result was not impressed.

The whole "peace and love" thing associated with their followers is a bunch of B.S. What a bunch of filthy, begging scumbags. Sunday afternoon, while the GF and I were shopping on the Magnificent Mile, some hippie was tring to hit me up for some cash because his buddies' bongo got the skin smashed in. When I sneeringly dismissed his pitiful request he responded with, "Well, then, you're not "real" Dead, man!".

To which I proudly replied, "Goddamn right I'm not".

Good times, nevertheless.

Slow Play Ray
08-09-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw the last show they played at boston garden in 95.... i couldn't stand the smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

there were no boston shows in 95....right?