PDA

View Full Version : tight is right - I mean on the turn and river

Borno
08-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I've noticed 2 major leaks that are actually linked so highly to the point that I will call it one. (Ed Miller says we all fold too much. -- I don't think I'm folding enough)

I think these idea of folding your committed equity is a psychological issue. I'm in the process of reading psych. of poker right now... but anyone have any comments on such a problem?

#1: The ability to fold with a made hand on the turn and river.
#2: trusting my hand reading capabilities.

I frequently find myself with TPTK or TPGK protecting the flop, possibly getting 3 bet or called.. and then betting out and being raised, and calling down. Or being 3 bet after I c/r and calling down.

I see being 3 bet after I c/r being a major warning sign... but what opponents should I be calling down against in this situation? -- is 2 pair on a 3 flushed or 3 straight board (unless its top 2) too weak to continue... I don't think so, but my recent many losses on these boards have made me think its possible.

With turn raises after I lead the turn on a 3 flush or 3 straight board.. or when I just have TPTK or TPGK what should my line be against different types of opponents?

On the river I almost always fold my decent made hands like TPTK or two pair when its 2 bets cold to me. but I will frequently value bet the made hands when checked to me and call a c/r or a later position raise.

Generally, unless against a very aggressive player how strong should one's hand be to call a river c/r HU or in a 3 handed pot?

Note: I am not talking about being c/r'd on the turn. In these situations I only call with a strong made hand (2 pair and above, unless a tricky agro opponent) or a strong drawing hand.

In these situations I find myself thinking "Oh no! He has it!" But how can I learn to trust these reads in long shot situations? - when we flip the cards I find myself usually right.

Drew Pruitt, I believe, wrote an article on trusting your reads... I'll review that - but I find it VERY hard to fold a lot of equity for 1 more bet on the end. Drew Pruitt's Need to Divorce a Showdown

08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
In Middle Limit Holdem, by Jim Brier and Bob Ciaffione, they mention the importance of the turn raise. Against typical players in typical situations (in these typical times), a turn raise is big sign of strength. Most players will wait until the turn to trap you for an extra bet, so have a lot more respect for raises on the turn than you would on the flop. This applies especially to players without a great understanding of strategy. If I had a made hand on the flop and get raised on the turn, I generally need at least 2 pair or better to feel good seeing the river. Deviating from this rule requires that I know my opponent fairly well. Folding for turn raises is the most important place to save bets when you hold less than two pair. However, if you follow this rule too strictly, you could be giving up a lot of bets.

In terms of saving bets on the river... the same general rule applies to an even greater extent. Strong hands will wait until the river to trap you for even more bets, so when you are raised on the end, you need to fold anything less than two pair. If you are overcalling a river bet, you need to understand that it very likely that at least ONE of your two opponents have you beat, and it may not be the original raiser.

Of course, all these folds depend on the texture of the board and the nature of the bettors. But the general rule is that you are beat unless you have a strong reason to suspect otherwise. Facing turn and river raises should force you to seriously re-evaluate your hand. You need a good reason to not fold.