PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a laptop

08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Picture the situation, I/you decides to start travelling with a laptop around various european destinations (spain and other such warm/beach places - either big cities or tourist places) for 1 year, playing poker to fund my/your living expenses during the trip with plenty of backup cash in case a downswing occurs. Net connection is available in all places of the trip obviously.

You are alone for the duration of the trip as you're the only one who can afford to have a year of travel with no 9-5 income. You spend 3 months maximum at each destination.

What do you fill your time with apart from a few hours a day playing poker?

It seems this dream is quite popular with many people, yet wouldn't the being alone factor make it a nightmare trip? In an unfamiliar place what would you do to fill your time and/or meet people who have as much leisure time as you do? Would you really be happy sitting on beaches and in an apartment day in day out with an odd trip to a 'sight seeing' area on your own?

Help me crush the dream by stating how awful you think it would be, or would it really be the trip of a lifetime? I can't make my mind up.

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you fill your time with apart from a few hours a day playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're talking about travelling around europe. if the only thing you can think of to do in your time there is play online poker, you have serious problems.

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Why the hate? OP clearly states that he would be playing poker to "fund" said trip (with additional $$ in case he ran bad).

I think it's a great idea! Of course, it depends on your personality and ability to do it solo.

As for things to do - research some hobbies of yurs before making the trip out and find places (clubs, organizations etc...) that accomodate these hobbies. Also, you'd be surprised how many people are out and about at supposed "working hours". If you are even a little bit outgoing, you can make lots of friends (especially with a story like "I am traveling the world for the next year and funding it by playing online poker").

Yes. This idea is good.

Nick-Zack
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
If I didn't have kids I would go right now. I think I will spend a few weeks in London as soon as schools gets back in though.

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hate? OP clearly states that he would be playing poker to "fund" said trip (with additional $$ in case he ran bad).

I think it's a great idea! Of course, it depends on your personality and ability to do it solo.

As for things to do - research some hobbies of yurs before making the trip out and find places (clubs, organizations etc...) that accomodate these hobbies. Also, you'd be surprised how many people are out and about at supposed "working hours". If you are even a little bit outgoing, you can make lots of friends (especially with a story like "I am traveling the world for the next year and funding it by playing online poker").

Yes. This idea is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

what hate? fwiw i think if he can pull it off it's a great idea. i was just saying that if you can't find anything to do in europe when you're not playing poker, you have serious problems.

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Point taken.

<font color="white"> I just felt bad that the guys first post was shot down so quickly. </font>

send_the_msg
08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
i think it's best to travel alone. you get to meet a lot more people that way, forces you out of your bubble.

BoogerFace
08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I'll only say this once - stay off the drugs.

KaneKungFu123
08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
pick up a hot foriegn chick along the way. bang her a few times a day. that uses most of your time.

kane knows.

1800GAMBLER
08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
You and theBruiser should do this together, he posted the exact same message as this not long ago and still hasn't had the balls to do it.

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You and theBruiser should do this together, he posted the exact same message as this not long ago and still hasn't had the balls to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres an idea! Find a 2+2'er that is thinking of doing something similar and roam the earth together.

KaneKungFu123
08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

asian girls would totally dig bruiser.

slickpoppa
08-08-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres an idea! Find a 2+2'er that is thinking of doing something similar and roam the earth together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and write a blog about it so we can hear about you guys pussying out of talking to women and eventually developing a homoerotic relationship.

KaneKungFu123
08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and write a blog about it so we can hear about you guys pussying out of talking to women and eventually developing a homoerotic relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. if they were gonna rent a house somewhere, thatd be cool, but traveling together, thats jsut gay.

lucas9000
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget the inevitable hot tub picture(s).

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah. if they were gonna rent a house somewhere, thatd be cool, but traveling together, thats jsut gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that gay? It isn't like they have to be glued at the hip - they would stay together till the winds of change separate them only to reunite them at a later time in a different place.

Unlike being stuck in a house with the same dude and mutual rent responsibilities...

SmileyEH
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm going to be doing this for the next few months. I'm really looking forward to it.

-SmileyEH

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that gay? It isn't like they have to be glued at the hip - they would stay together till the winds of change separate them only to reunite them at a later time in a different place.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just made it sound 10x more gay.

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You just made it sound 10x more gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white"> get the new batteries for that detector </font>

08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Some interesting replies so far so thanks for those.

Regarding the 'you have serious problems if you can't find anything to do in europe' opinion, I don't think the intention of the trip would be to see every sight possible, it would lean more towards relaxing in a scenic location instead of a bedroom and to experience a totally different way of life.

The problems I'm encountering each time I think about this are those days (which I would expect a majority of the trip to be) when you're out of things to look at that interest you, out of places to go which are suitable for single travellers and then comes night time which would just emphasise the feelings.
I don't really have a problem with being alone, I love my own time but living like that most days would most probably make me want to go home.

I'm imagining staying in a hostel of somesort being the only real way to regularly come into contact with others in a similar situation, having never stayed in a hostel before I have a pretty dim view on them (small, cramped, noisy).

I've been to many typical beach holiday places in the past with family and friends and have only been in a group when abroad plus staying in villas/apts, the whole 'meet new people while alone' notion seems like a complete uphill struggle, I like the idea of clubs/hobbies so probably should look into their availability a little further.

Time to ponder it some more and look for some trip reports of others I think.