PDA

View Full Version : AA in SB

Mikey
03-19-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm trying to think of the best way to play this hand at this particular interval.

I was seated at the Pink hold'em game in AC at the Trop.

The game is 8 handed.

There are 3 limpers and I'm in the SB with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif , I raise to get more money in the pot with the best hand.

BB calls as do the 3 limpers.

The flop comes up gorgeous for my hand:
These are the types of flops you dream about when you hold AA.

K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

I'm just kidding, this flop is horrid. Anyway it is time to probe, so I bet.

BB calls, the first limper drops, the 2nd limper raises, 3rd limper drops and now it's on me.

What should I do?

elysium
03-19-2003, 05:00 AM
here mikey you must reraise and if by chance he reraises, call. if you get a good read, go for a turn check-raise. there is no card falling on the turn that will deter your check-raise.actually,this is a great flop for getting the kind of action aa deserves. now, depending on how scary the board gets, you can check call or bet out. it may become scary for you here as well so you want to really make an effort to win on the turn. i don't think the implied river action helps you here because he may fold on the river costing you a bb. try to pick it up on the turn mikey with a check-raise.

Bob T.
03-19-2003, 05:56 AM
I think that you have two choices, you could three bet, or you could call and lead out on the turn.

The problem with highly coordinated flops, is that you might not get a lot of information about your opponents holding by three betting, because there are a lot of hands that it might be correct to raise with, and if three bet, he still might have a correct value bet to reraise with, so I would tend to call, and lead out on the turn,when he has one fewer cards to draw, and see what happens then.

Ed Miller
03-19-2003, 07:48 AM
You either 3-bet the flop and bet the turn or you call the flop and bet a blank on the turn. I would 3-bet here because I still think it's quite likely, given the action, that you have the best hand. Furthermore, just calling gives BB odds to call with just a stiff Jack or Queen.

Mike Gallo
03-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Mikey,

Reraise on the flop and lead into the turn. Or you can call the raise on the flop and check raise the turn.

Please tell us you didn't fold the best hand.

ZManODS
03-19-2003, 09:54 AM
"try to pick it up on the turn mikey with a check-raise. "

I would have to disagree, going for a check-raise in this situation could cost him the pot. If a blank hits on fourth street he should definately bet out and not give his oppenenet a chance to get a free card.

Ulysses
03-19-2003, 03:42 PM
First things first - 3 bet the flop.

davidross
03-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I would 3-bet this. I think it’s just as likely that you are ahead as behind, and except for QJ or 99 if you’re behind I don’t think you’re way behind. I will assume KK or TT would have raised pre-flop, so it’s very likely you’re looking at KQ, QT even Q9. Having the diamond A also helps make the 3-bet decision easier. At least one of the opponents is drawing, I think there is value for you in raising.

03-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Mikey,

My first choice is 3-bet the flop. You probably still have the best hand. It's possible that the second limper is looking for a free card and if another diamond, a Q or a J comes on the turn you still have draws. Charge/dare them to outdraw you. Sometimes, scary flops like this make some players behave like little kids afraid of a monster under the bed and becomes weak-passive. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Mikey
03-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Well I think reraising is clearly the play.

1) if a diamond does fall on the turn assuming one of the opponents is on a draw, I have a redraw to the nut flush, plus I charge him the max to draw.

2) I get to find out the true value of the BB hand.

Here is what I did.

I called. The BB reraised, the limper called and I called.

Now I'm not sure what the BB has, but I am sure I'm behind, so I reverted to a check and call mode through the rest of the hand.

On the turn fell the 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif and on the river fell the 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I was hoping that since the 9 paired I could probably beat the BB two pair or a busted flush draw as well but instead, he showed me the flopped nuts QJ.

Even though I played this hand incorrectly I was still going to go to the river with this hand unless a diamond hit the river.

Comments.