PDA

View Full Version : MTT advice

08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey everyone,
I have been playing poker for awhile now and i have been winning since Dec. I bought in for 30 and now im up to about 1800. The problem is that I go back to school in Sept. and I'm going to have to spend my entire bankroll on tuition, and I really dont feel like starting over because things really pick up once i can play the 100NL. I play mostly cash games, but i am interested in playing more MTT after i got my first win back in July, and I think 1 win in one of the bigger tournaments would pay for tuition and leave me with money to keep in my account. I have a lot of experience in SnGs and i play the occasional MTT, although i have been in a bit of a slump with MTT since early July. I make it pretty far every time, but lately ive been falling short too often. Im looking to take my game to the next level now. I keep hearing about people winning MTT after MTT for thousands of $ and i was wondering what I could expect if I am a good player and i start to play a few more MTT. How often should i be in the final table? Which buy-ins should I be playing? also what is the best kind of tournament to enter? What is considered a good MTT structure?I have a feeling that the 10+1s that i am entering just dont have the kind of prize pool im looking for and they have to many crazy players to avoid. Ive only played a few of the 20+2s on pokerroom, but I seem to do well, ive only played 3 or so and I havent placed yet, but ive been very close and just ran into a bad hand when i had a lot of chips....sorry to ask so many questions. any advice would be appreciated...thanks

Maulik
08-08-2005, 02:32 PM
.sorry to ask so many questions. any advice would be appreciated...thanks

the search function

Pat Southern
08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
It doesn't really sound like MTTs are you for you. There's a huge amount of variance, and if you need a win in a MTT to pay for tuition you're more than likely to wind up sorely dissapointed. If I was you I'd stick to ring games or STTs where the volatility is much lower.

08-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I would have to agree.. Work your way up through ring games. You may want to try playing limit poker as there can be less to risk when taking a bad beat.

Brad F.
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you have to pay for tuition with your bankroll? What was your plan before playing poker?

Brad