PDA

View Full Version : How did you meet your significant other?

slickpoppa
08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
For the people in here in committed relationships, how did you meet your significant other? I'm not necessarily looking for detailed stories. I'm more interested in the context, like:
school, met through friend, bar, party, were friends first, etc.

wayabvpar
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
A friend of mine runs a golf tournament every August- met my wife at one of the after parties.

[censored]
08-08-2005, 01:58 PM
basically a friend had found a couple at a really good price. He offered her to me at a great deal because he knew I was not happy in my current relationship. a few days later me and my inspiron 9100 have been as happy as can be.

2planka
08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I hooked up with her roommate in college.

WackityWhiz
Internet... It was my first time in the Iowa chat room on AOL and it was her first time there as well. Our 4 year anniversary is on the 26th of this month. We are going to apple river in Wisconsin, should be a fun time.

morgan180
I was in palm springs for a friend's bachelor party at the desert springs marriott which is a big resort. we were all in the pool and started talking to these girls. one of them ended up being my wife.

offTopic
08-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Blind date at a driving range /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Laomedon
08-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Party at my college, we hooked up listening to "Under the Bridge." It was very exciting.

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Kegger

nolanfan34
08-08-2005, 02:04 PM
College. I was helping a friend with a class project, and she happened to be in the class. It's weird, there are few people in my life that I can specifically remember meeting or seeing for the first time, but I can remember that very clearly, even though at the time there wasn't necessarily a reason to remember it.

jackdaniels
08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
She was new in town - I was showing her around. Our first "date" was a small rave on Galiano Island (for you Canadian west caosters who know what I'm talking about) where I fed her drugs (E) which she never tried before - the rest, as they say, is history (3 years married now, 5 years together).

WackityWhiz
08-08-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
College. I was helping a friend with a class project, and she happened to be in the class. It's weird, there are few people in my life that I can specifically remember meeting or seeing for the first time, but I can remember that very clearly, even though at the time there wasn't necessarily a reason to remember it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see forgetting where you met some of your friends, but not your 'woman', that would be hard I think.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 02:08 PM
We were acquaintances / in the same loose circle of friends in college. I was dating this other girl through most of my undergrad, though. We hooked up when I was at another school for my masters, but visiting my friends at my old school.

trying2learn
08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
mine was a fan of a band i was in...i guess i eneded up with a groupie...

but she prefers band aid.

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Online. And believe or not, it isn't because I'm socially inept, physically hideous, or anything like that either. I never had trouble picking up girls, but I am just really picky, and I got sick of slowly weeding through all the brain-dead female specimens I found at bars, clubs, etc. So I said f it and tried something new. After some time, I actually managed to find a girl who's hot, smart, fun, not crazy (so far anyway, haha) and can put up with my (numerous) bad habits. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Online. And believe or not, it isn't because I'm socially inept, physically hideous, or anything like that either. I never had trouble picking up girls, but I am just really picky, and I got sick of slowly weeding through all the brain-dead female specimens I found at bars, clubs, etc. So I said f it and tried something new. After some time, I actually managed to find a girl who's hot, smart, fun, not crazy (so far anyway, haha) and can put up with my (numerous) bad habits. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
How many dimensions of compatibility do you share?

Also, I find it interesting that you refuse to use Netflix or buy books online because you like the interaction you get at the store, but you turned down the social interaction for online dating when it came to finding your wife/gf.

wh1t3bread
08-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I met my girlfriend of 4+ years at a Saint Patrick's Day party in college. I was wearing green mardi-gras type beads. She saw me and came up to me wanting those beads. I tried for Option A in exchange for the beads. Option A failed.

So I went with Option B (make out with your also hot roomate). Option B was a success. I got her number and that was that.

[censored]
08-08-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm not saying this applies but do you really think the other guys tell themselved that they aresocially inept, physically hideous, or anything like?

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I find it interesting that you refuse to use Netflix or buy books online because you like the interaction you get at the store, but you turned down the social interaction for online dating when it came to finding your wife/gf.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA, I knew that was coming...I thought about the irony as I was typing. I guess I'm an enigma. But I don't "refuse" to use those things; I am certainly open to the idea...I guess I just like going to the bookstore/video store for some inexplicable reason. And obviously, you can't date someone w/o the eventual social interaction.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's from the commercial that's on all the time, I think it's for E-Harmony with that guy going on and on about how his site matches you based on 29 dimensions of compatibility.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA, I knew that was coming...I thought about the irony as I was typing. I guess I'm an enigma. But I don't "refuse" to use those things; I am certainly open to the idea...I guess I just like going to the bookstore/video store for some inexplicable reason. And obviously, you can't date someone w/o the eventual social interaction.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I understand. Just giving a hard time.

Slow Play Ray
08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm not saying this applies but do you really think the other guys tell themselved that they aresocially inept, physically hideous, or anything like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was merely addressing the stereotypical assumptions about online dating (that I clearly still share, lol).

But honestly, yes - generally speaking, I do think people recognize their limitations.

Indiana
08-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Calculus class as an undergraduate student. I liked asian girls and this one was really good at helping with homework:) Next thing I know were going steady and we've been married for 6 years.

Indy

Eegs
08-08-2005, 02:27 PM
we met at school after I dated her best friend

RunDownHouse
08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could see forgetting where you met some of your friends, but not your 'woman', that would be hard I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently I made out with my girlfriend about a year before we actually started dating. I had and have no recollection of the event. We've been together over 3 years now.

utmt40
08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
I met mine during homecoming with her sorority. Nothing really came from that. Then later on we met again through a mutual friend and hit it off great.

meep_42
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Online, though just casually until I found out she lived about 6 miles from me, on the same main street. We hung out a few times and that was that.

Been a year and a couple months since we hooked up and i'm moving to Phoenix with her at the end of the month.

-d

codewarrior
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
We met in a mutual friends room. We were both bumming a smoke. I took her for a chicken biscuit at Time Out's in Chapel Hill, SIIHP on the second date, and we've been together ever since (like 13 years now?). True story - she will confirm, after she gets done hitting me for telling this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Amid Cent
08-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Internet dating site. Been married 3 years and have been to 5 other weddings of people who met on the same site.

ChipWrecked
08-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Match.com.

I had my 'range' set for 50 miles. She had hers on 400. Our doorsteps were exactly 400 miles apart.

We have since uploaded a gene splice.

Indiana
08-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Dam I miss that chicken joint in Chapel Hill. I met lots of girls on Franklin St. that I thought were gonna be my wife. Had to go back to NCSU to find a girl with substance though. Wolfpack women make better wives:)

Indy

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm amazed how many people met online. I had no idea people actually did this.

Shajen
08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
She was a waitress in a bar I went to 4-5 times a week.

I went there to drink beer and shoot pool.

married two years in October. Been together for going on 5 years now.

Damn time flies.

codewarrior
08-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I heard that the guys who ran it for like forever sold it, so I'm sure the food sucks now. Well, it sucked then, too - but in a good way, as only a chicken cheese biscuit at 3:00am can taste.

smokingrobot
08-08-2005, 03:06 PM
i mte to her at a bar. we startd talking, etc.

Indiana
08-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Its the new thing, especially for older people who dont have the luxury of meeting someone in college.

Indy

nolanfan34
08-08-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably didn't phrase my post very well, but what was unique to me, is that I can remember the first time I saw her, we met shortly after that, but didn't end up dating until months down the road.

Tim&Joe
08-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Tim: we met at my friend brycen's party

Joe: I had commented that we needed more margarita mix

Tim: and you gave me a ride to get some

Joe: and then you returned the favor /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Tim /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the new thing, especially for older people who dont have the luxury of meeting someone in college.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

So pretty much when you've run out of options and it's either that or die alone?

Indiana
08-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Well,

I guess there's other options, but it does get harder to meet someone when you're in your late 30s-mid 40s and thereafter, especially if you aint a church-goer. I myself have lots of friends who have succeded with this. You should see some of the hotties they have hooked up with.

Indy

The Truth
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Internet... I was in the Iowa chat room on AOL where i usually go to pick up girls and it was her third time to date a guy she meet in a chat room. Our 4 year anniversary is on the 26th of this month. We are going to apple river in Wisconsin, should be a fun time.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Internet... I was in the Iowa chat room on AOL where i usually go to pick up girls and it was her twenty-third time to date a guy she meet in a chat room. In fact she had already earned a nickname among Iowa AIM posters that shouldn't be repeated. Our 4 year anniversary is on the 26th of this month. We are going to apple river in Wisconsin, should be a fun time. The other twenty-two guys will be joining us there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

<font color="white"> Kidding wackity. </font>

CCass
08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I worked with her fiance.

morgan180
08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed how many people met online. I had no idea people actually did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Richter
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
I met her at a 24 hour taco stand at 3am.

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they would fix the avatar

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like the rainbow?

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like the rainbow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything?

The site that hosts the avatar could be blocked by my company I guess.